Australia, 2016...

guildman63

Reaction score
I was fortunate to be able to spend a few weeks in Australia last month. There were far too many pictures to choose from, but here are a few.

Let's begin with "Guild" making an appearance at Betty's Beach, which is in the Whitsunday Islands in the area of the Great Barrier Reef.

Various pictures from Hamilton Island.

It's not easy concentrating on golf when every hole has views like this.

A trip to Australia isn't complete without crocs and kangaroos.

Notice the Guild shirt?

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
And of course snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.

Sydney.

The view Zelja and I enjoyed a few beers to.

And last, but not least, what appears to be the traditional Australian welcome to first time visitors upon arriving at Bondi Beach.

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Here are a few wildlife photos for Joe. Joe, they aren't up to your standards, but it's the best I can do with a $250 point and shoot digital camera.

This is the rare Cassowary, considered by many to be the most dangerous bird in the world due to its extreme aggression. We actually saw two in the wild. I got a picture of the first with my camera phone as it was walking into the woods and only got its backside. The second was standing on the left side of the road in full view as our tour van was driving through the Daintree Forest, and of course I was sitting on the right side of the van and missed it. These two sightings were within minutes of each other, yet some locals we spoke to said it took them 14 years living in Australia to see their first.

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Disclaimer: All photos were taken by me except for the pictures of the fish at the Great Barrier Reef (taken on our dive by Wavelength Tours), and obviously the pictures of me and my family (taken by our guide to Whitehaven/Betty's Beach in the Whitsunday Islands), me and my son on the golf course (taken by my wife), and me with the kangaroo (taken by my son).

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, I think I ran into one of them there drop bears at the local watering hole last night. She was very scary!!!!

Are Koala bears also from Australia?? Man, those are about the coolest looking thing I've ever seen. Looks like they'd be pretty gentle.

guildman63

Reaction score
:glee::glee::glee::glee::glee:
Great pics! Looks like a good time was had by all. :peaceful:

Looks like you didn't run into any drop bears which I mentioned to you (that's a good thing). Here's some info from the Australian Museum about them: http://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

When you mentioned them on your way out I wasn't sure I understood what you said. Several days later we are in the van driving to do some zip lining, I think, and the driver started talking about drop bears. We got the full story, and I was relieved to know there was nothing to worry about.

Zelja

Reaction score
...the driver started talking about drop bears. We got the full story, and I was relieved to know there was nothing to worry about.
Naahh, he was just trying to keep you at ease so you wouldn't flee the country in terror. He wanted your tourist dollar after all...:friendly_wink: :devilish:

guildman63

Reaction score
He got a few of those dollar's. As nice as it was I could see giving him dollar's as a local one day. I did some research and found that Australia is considered by most to be the best place in the world to raise kids. It's not a bad place to grow old either. With an aging mother on her own in Florida, and a mother-in-law in a nursing home in Massachusetts it is unlikely, but there is always retirement. :very_drunk: of course, Australia may not want my dollar's at that time.

Zelja

Reaction score
If you could make that move to Noosa like you were thinking that would be pretty cool (in a semi-tropical sort of way).

With my meagre retirement funds I will be probably looking to retire to a third world country where my dollar goes further. Somewhere like New Zealand...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
With my meagre retirement funds I will be probably looking to retire to a third world country where my dollar goes further. Somewhere like New Zealand...

Ahem...

In the event that this gets out of hand be warned that I intend to take coastie's side.

:)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
A friend & former co-worker of mine lives in Adelaide. Very pretty city. I've visited a few times, and have been thinking about getting myself a small winter (summer!) home there. I'll probably be visiting again early next year in fact.

-Dave-