Martin Marquis Silk and Steel Strings...

guildman63

Reaction score
Any experience with these strings on a Guild jumbo?

How about Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum's? Also Silk wound, and with a softer core that is supposed to result in a significant decrease in string tension, while also being easier on the fingers without sacrificing tone. More expensive, but if they live up to their billing I would buy them without thinking twice.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have not tried the Martin silk and steels, but really like the john pearse PB and silk strings. Very easy on finger pads with good phosphor bronze tone.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've tried the GHS version of Silk & Steel and also Silk & Bronze (my faves of the two) and found then REALLY great. I've been on a string journey for a while but will be happy to get back to the GHS Silk & Bronze strings very soon. Give them a try, what have you got to lose? :encouragement:

guildman63

Reaction score
I already put the 11.5 - 47 Marquis on as the D'A Nickel Bronze 13's were just too much for my sensitive archtop fingers. I actually like the Marquis a lot, but the bottom end is a little lacking for my taste. The jumbo makes up for that a bit, but not completely. The TI Plectrums range from 12 - 59, and if they are as soft as advertised I think I will like those a lot. They usually get to me in MA from Just Strings in NH in one business day, so I should have them Tuesday. My opinions, valued or not, will certainly follow.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Once I get these test set of Elixirs off my Taylor I'm starting on the GHS Infinity Bronze strings. I bought three sets. So I can see how they do on all the better guitars. Can't wait. :encouragement:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not a jumbo, but I put Martin Silk and Steels M200 on my D125-12 recently purchased from BoneDigger and I am underwhelmed. I've been using John Pearse 1300L 80/20 Bronze on my other 12-string (the JF4-12 jumbo), and like them much more.

The Silk and Steels feel nice, but seem somehow muted or damped to me.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth Guildman I have tried the Martin Silk and steels on my F50r. They felt very nice but really didn't allow the rosewood to achieve the beautiful voice that it normally has with other sets. The bass response was severely lacking and it almost sounded like everything from tone to volume was half of what it had been. The Daddario Nickel bronze 13's didn't do it for me either on the F50R. I found that in comparison to the EJ17 uncoated 13's and the EXP17 coated 13's that the Nickel bronze strings were rougher on the fingers than the Phosphor Bronze for some reason and lacked the "Rich" tone I am accustomed to from true Phosphor Bronze strings.

There is a member here who runs the light gauge EXP16's on his New Hartford F50 maple and says they sound great and feel great as well. I have tried several sets of strings on My F50R over the three years I have had it but keep coming back the the Dadarrio EJ17's for the tone that they produce. I am anxiously awaiting your review on the TI Plectrums to see what you think of those on the Maple version.

One more thing, I was curious about tension one night so I did the math on Daddario's tension calculator and was very surprised to find out that a set of 13's tuned down 1/2 a step have just 2lbs more total tension than a set of 12's tuned to standard tuning.

Hope you are enjoying that New Hartford F50!

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I will agree with a few responses above - I've tried the Silk and Steel, and although very comfortable, the sound is not all it could be.

walrus