NSD: New String Day...

guildman63

Reaction score
In my search for the best guitar strings for my NH F-50 I tried a set of Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum's, 12 - 59. The high E and B are brass coated steel, the G is flat wound, and the D, A, and low E are round wound. All four wound strings have a highly flexible core wrapped with Silk.

The tension on these strings is much lower than conventional 12 gauge strings, yet to me their projection is excellent on my jumbo. It's possible that they might not be as loud as the D'A Nickel Bronze 13's were, but to me the difference is subtle. Tonally, these Thomastik-Infeld strings are very rich and warm, and are very balanced. They cost $21 on www.juststrings.com, which is more than other strings, but I will buy them again. They are supposed to last much longer than conventional strings, so the relative cost is likely much lower. Time will tell, but for now I have found the right strings for me.

I don't have a good ability to record, so I found a good YouTube video that demonstrates these strings very well.

https://youtu.be/VbcJBkwwzoU

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
cool, i might need to check these out.
.59 though? wow! is that not heavy gauge?

guildman63

Reaction score
Depending on what you typically use you may need to adjust the nut slot for a proper fit, but it doesn't play like a 59. The strings are very comfortable and easy on the fingers.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Depending on what you typically use you may need to adjust the nut slot for a proper fit, but it doesn't play like a 59. The strings are very comfortable and easy on the fingers.

that youtube video was great. dude sure looks happy with them strings. I am using JP 80/20 lights right now on my Cruz, really like them. But these Thomas ones look like a super string. might need to give them a go.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have you tried Martin Silk and Steels? Can you compare the T-I's to the Martin Strings?

I have a set of Martin M200 12-String Silk and Steel on my GAD D125-12, and I am less than impressed.

guildman63

Reaction score
Before these Thomastik-Infeld strings I had the Martin S&S 11.5 - 47, and before that the D'A Nickel Bronze 13's. To me these TI strings have better projection, a better bottom end, and an overall better tone than the Martin strings. They are also slightly less flexible than the Martin 11.5's, but still much softer than most 12 gauge strings.

The Martin strings I used were Marquis.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hmm I might try a set of 11's

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
cool, i might need to check these out.
.59 though? wow! is that not heavy gauge?
That caught me by surprise too.
I'm thinking they were such low tension to start they must have needed to add mass to the string(s) to get enough tension to drive a top.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I haven't yet tried any of the Thomastik acoustic strings, but with the flatwound electrics (Jazz Swings mainly) the gauge-to-feel relationship is as described here. They play easier than the numbers suggest. The strings really last too.

-Dave-

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you search the forum for "ac112" you'll find a few posts mentioning them. I love them on my maple jumbo (even if there are other strings on it right now).

Markus :smile: