Pickup Suggestions for a NH F-50...

guildman63

Reaction score
Has anyone here added a pickup to a NH F-50, and if so which one, and what are your impressions?

I am looking for a very natural sounding "quackless" pickup for playing mostly jazz on my 2011 F-50. The type of pickup is unimportant.

Thanks!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd think that a sound-hole mounted, humbucker-type would work well for Jazz. No quack there.

guildman63

Reaction score
Shadow has some nice looking and sounding sound-hole pickups, and whether single coil or humbucker they are all supposed to be noiseless. Has anyone tried those?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know about how it would work for playing Jazz but if you want Quackless The DTAR Wavelength Multisource that Guild used at the factory in New Hartford is a phenomenal choice. It really sounds great for all different styles of playing. The 18 volt preamp lets the guitars true sound ring out whether it is the soft subtle nuances of Finger picking or really digging in with a pick. The 18 volts allows for more headroom and no matter how hard you play there is no quack. It has a UST for under the saddle as well as a Condenser mic mounted on the sound hole control circuit board. The controls allow you to add in the amount of Mic you want for an "Airy" quality. There is also 5-6 presets on the internal preamp itself that allows you to adjust the +/- db output of the lows and highs so you can match it to your individual guitar. You can still find them online for sale from $150-$180 for the whole setup brand new. I know some folks here like the K&K pure Mini and others like soundhole setups but this was just another suggestion to consider. Best of luck in your search!

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll add mini flex internal endpin mount , 2 condenser Mics , no controls just pure guitar tone , but if the guitar does not sound good it will let you know .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Shadow has some nice looking and sounding sound-hole pickups, and whether single coil or humbucker they are all supposed to be noiseless. Has anyone tried those?

Had shadow on my Epi love their stereo set ups not tried the sound hole models yet but could be worth a try on the CV-1

I'd lean to the stereo set up if anyone does recording or wants the effect on stage other wise not necessary.

guildman63

Reaction score
I came across Trance Audio Amulet M. The stereo version is what Jackson Browne uses, and while it's not cheap the demo's I have heard sound really good. As anyone used this system?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just curios have you heard the miniflex 2 ? I have a poor mans vid using it in my Blueridge .

Reaction score
I don't know about how it would work for playing Jazz but if you want Quackless The DTAR Wavelength Multisource that Guild used at the factory in New Hartford is a phenomenal choice. It really sounds great for all different styles of playing. The 18 volt preamp lets the guitars true sound ring out whether it is the soft subtle nuances of Finger picking or really digging in with a pick. The 18 volts allows for more headroom and no matter how hard you play there is no quack. It has a UST for under the saddle as well as a Condenser mic mounted on the sound hole control circuit board. The controls allow you to add in the amount of Mic you want for an "Airy" quality. There is also 5-6 presets on the internal preamp itself that allows you to adjust the +/- db output of the lows and highs so you can match it to your individual guitar. You can still find them online for sale from $150-$180 for the whole setup brand new. I know some folks here like the K&K pure Mini and others like soundhole setups but this was just another suggestion to consider. Best of luck in your search!

TX

+1 what tx said!
I have the factory-installed DTAR Multisource in my 2012 F-50 and it's flat-out amazing! And I use it thru my somewhat complicated set up LIVE onstage with my LOUD band and it sounds great....and I seldom use my feedback blocker! Rich and full, not "quacky" at all. I think the 18 volys has a lot to do with it. I use very little of the onboard mic.

I have the K&K Pure Mini (with volume control) on my black JF-30, and it sounds really nice...but at higher volumes I sometimes use my feedback blocker! (Both of these guitars feature soundhole volume controls so I had to "modify" my feedback blockers).

I run my guitars thru my AT wireless into my Fishman Aura Spectrum, dialed in for Guild maple jumbo with just a hint of the imaging dialed in, then out to the clean channel of my solid-state Quilter MP200 "Mini stack". The soundman takes a DI out of the back of the amp to the PA. I use an Earthquaker Ghost Echo for lush reverbs, and that's about it.

Reaction score
BTW...my other, blonde, JF30 came with a Fishman soundhole pickup and I immediately ditched it! Hated it. Did not really bring the sound of the guitar out...just the strings more than anything. Not exactly electric sounding, but DEF not acoustic sounding either! And, I found that the unwound strings were louder and tinny-er sounding than the wound strings. Just didn't come close to comparing with the K&K Pure Mini or DTAR Multisource.
I am ordering a K&K Pure Mini system for it.

Guildman, you didn't say whether you were going to run it into an amp or D.I. into the house. But either way, make sure you have a voulume control onboard...and even a stage acoustic-guitar designed preamp that YOU control. (L.R. Baggs, Fishman, K&K...whatever). Being at the mercy of a house soundman can be brutal!!!

guildman63

Reaction score
I've made my decision. There are several great options, but the one that sounds the best to me based on the clips I have heard is a mic from Bartlett Audio. This Bartlett Guitar Mic positions inside the soundhole and connects to an endpin jack. The battery box is external to, and connects via a 1/4 inch cable to the guitar. A cable then connects the box to a standard amp (phantom power not needed). I like the idea of having an external battery box for ease of changing the battery, and because then the direct connection from the amp is to a box on my belt and not the guitar itself, which minimizes the risk of a short or restricted cord pulling directly on the guitar.