Opinions on Crack

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What was the seller's explanation of the kattywhompus neck joint? :eagerness:

Found his Facebook page. Scroll down a little and I'm guessing the video of the Guild is the one you bought . . .

https://www.facebook.com/joesvintageguitars/?fref=ts

For someone who "works on guitars", he didn't know a lot other than "it doesn't need a reset".

His Facebook page says "Musical Instrument Store · Automotive Repair", which is comforting.

Hmm - in the video the guitar has the original bridge which at first he claimed he didn't have. Interesting.

And then there's this:

14195200_1372131032814621_2763412479303174206_o.jpg

Which he fixed:

14316799_1383279501699774_7404375794451710181_n.jpg

No - that is NOT the X-500 in question.

It's an adventure. Let's see where it takes me.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being vague. It is indeed an 80s X-500. Here's another pic:

Here's the original ad: https://reverb.com/item/3221883-guild-x500-1986-amazing-condition

I did not pay anywhere near his asking price.

When I first saw the ad I asked him if he had the original bridge, MV, and switch tip. He seemed dumbfounded and then proceeded to produce the bridge and knob, then asked how I knew the ones in the pics weren't original.

The guy "works on guitars" and swears up and down there's nothing wrong with the neck, but we'll see. I can return it and also have paypal protection, so we'll see what happens.

Pics:

ticanh4bexg6lbwdc22h.jpg

aazb7n7yrypk4wjmbtte.jpg

g55s24gnkppy5gbunmyx.jpg

I just wanted to let you know that I recognize the photos of this X-500 and it has been listed for at least a year, maybe a year and a half for sale on Reverb and off and on Ebay as well. Hope it all turns out good for you.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just wanted to let you know that I recognize the photos of this X-500 and it has been listed for at least a year, maybe a year and a half for sale on Reverb and off and on Ebay as well. Hope it all turns out good for you.

TX

Me too. :smile-new:

The way I see it either worth it or not. Simple, really. I'll definitely let the community know how it goes. I figure at the very least I/we can learn something.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got it in my hands now. From what I've learned in this thread, it doesn't look good.

5D3_8322_1600.jpg

5D3_8324_1600.jpg

5D3_8326_1600.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW that sucks because the guitar is otherwise *stunning*.

5D3_8232%201_1600.jpg

There seem to be no other signs of impact or damage. There is a dent in the headstock veneer, but it's on the wrong side to have caused the neck issues. Besides, I'd think whatever caused such a separation would have been a significant impact.

The guitar appears to play perfectly well and I detect no movement whatsoever of the neck.

jcwu

Reaction score
Pour some super glue in the crack, clamp that sucker, and call it a day!

:congratulatory:

kakerlak

Reaction score
There seem to be no other signs of impact or damage. There is a dent in the headstock veneer, but it's on the wrong side to have caused the neck issues. Besides, I'd think whatever caused such a separation would have been a significant impact.

The guitar appears to play perfectly well and I detect no movement whatsoever of the neck.

Could be a heat thing or just "not enough glue" from the factory. Could also be that the wood in the heel warped a bit over time and that the joint itself is sound through most of its structural contact area and just curled away where it warped. If the bridge isn't bottomed out and hasn't been sanded down, it plays well, and the joint doesn't close up if you pull back on the neck, you might just shrug your shoulders and live with it. Pretty guitar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could be a heat thing or just "not enough glue" from the factory. Could also be that the wood in the heel warped a bit over time and that the joint itself is sound through most of its structural contact area and just curled away where it warped. If the bridge isn't bottomed out and hasn't been sanded down, it plays well, and the joint doesn't close up if you pull back on the neck, you might just shrug your shoulders and live with it. Pretty guitar.

That's a fascinating idea. I've seen guitars do wacky things when leaned up against the wall over the heating vent in the floor. Given the discoloration of the finish around the neck, I have to wonder if you're onto something.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That's a fascinating idea. I've seen guitars do wacky things when leaned up against the wall over the heating vent in the floor. Given the discoloration of the finish around the neck, I have to wonder if you're onto something.

I have an '80s G&L bass. At the time, they were made of 2-piece maple necks and, on mine, there's a gap b/w the two pieces visible at the heel and fretboard side of the neck, however, if you take the neck off, you can see that they're only separated about 1/4" down into the neck; the rest is glued snug. Best I can figure, the wood was a little green and warped a bit. With that neck, I have no fear of further separation -- it hasn't moved in nearly two decades. It's possible the end of your heel might've curled up in a similar way -- or it could be pulling loose. The one thing that might be worthwhile to do on yours, if it truly feels solidly attached and the action is right would be to try and wick some super glue into the spot where the finish is lifting at the joint b/w the heel and the bass side of the body. That'll look ugly if it chips off.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The one thing that might be worthwhile to do on yours, if it truly feels solidly attached and the action is right would be to try and wick some super glue into the spot where the finish is lifting at the joint b/w the heel and the bass side of the body. That'll look ugly if it chips off.
Heck you can get Sally Hansen's clear nail polish in a drugstore and use that, it's basically real NCL, just read the ingredients.
I've used it to drop-fill some dings in the top of my D25.
@ Greg:
That idea of making a template to gauge the depth of separation is exactly what I did to gauge the bridge lift on my F65ce.
I think it came that way but I didn't discover it for a couple of years.
When presented to the local authorized repair center for an evaluation, the suggestion was "wait and monitor".
It's been stable all that time.
Sounds like the neck's actually solidly attached and you now have a record of "how it was when you got it" to monitor with.

Last edited:

Synchro

Reaction score
"You'd need to be on crack to buy that, but crack is bad, m'kay?"
Same thing here. I was going to think of something outrageous to say and try to pass it off as crack inspired.

How you doing, Gadfly?