Politcal discussion on LTG!

wileypickett

Reaction score
That LTG is one of the few internet "free-from-politics" safe-havens has been never more appreciated (by me and I'm sure by many others here) than in this past year or so. Whoever made the decision early on to keep LTG a politics-and-religion-free place has my deepest thanks.

Cheers!

Glenn Jones

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Its a corporate sponsored conspiracy, spearheaded by the Bolivians! Big Capo is in on it.

guildman63

Reaction score
I'm not sure there are any strict policies in place. There just isn't much worth talking about on either side. :stupid:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I run a forum for Newfoundland Dogs, and thought the political nonsense was slight, we had some problems so I made a rule banning politics and religion (just like almost every other civilized forum out there) and probably 70% of the people up and left. Some enterprising person among the group decided to start their own forum where anything was allowed and a couple of ringleaders convinced a pile of people to leave my forum in favor of the new "free speech" pastures.

Two months later I got an email from the person running the new forum apologizing and telling me that she had no idea how bad it really was behind the scenes. A couple of months after that the majority of people left THAT group and started a Facebook group for the same reasons. That quickly devolved into a cesspool of personal attacks and political vitriol.

Slowly, people seem to be trickling back, but the damage was done and the community that I spent 10 years fostering has never been the same.

If you want a civilized and polite discourse about a topic (like Guild guitars), keep politics and religion out of it. This group thrives because of the people here who want to talk about Guild guitars. Keeping it that way keeps the good people around, and that makes it a great place to be.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I run a forum for Newfoundland Dogs, and thought the political nonsense was slight, we had some problems so I made a rule banning politics and religion (just like almost every other civilized forum out there) and probably 70% of the people up and left. Some enterprising person among the group decided to start their own forum where anything was allowed and a couple of ringleaders convinced a pile of people to leave my forum in favor of the new "free speech" pastures.

Two months later I got an email from the person running the new forum apologizing and telling me that she had no idea how bad it really was behind the scenes. A couple of months after that the majority of people left THAT group and started a Facebook group for the same reasons. That quickly devolved into a cesspool of personal attacks and political vitriol.

Slowly, people seem to be trickling back, but the damage was done and the community that I spent 10 years fostering has never been the same.

If you want a civilized and polite discourse about a topic (like Guild guitars), keep politics and religion out of it. This group thrives because of the people here who want to talk about Guild guitars. Keeping it that way keeps the good people around, and that makes it a great place to be.

Amen to that brother! (And that's a strictly secular "Amen," BTW.)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
zQpvYa.jpg

Election Day is looking a lot more like Halloween this year!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
THERE IS NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION ALLOWED ON LTG.

This is a formal policy. All political threads or threads that veer into political debate are deleted. It has caused too much friction in the past and we have lost good forum brothers and sister over it. It's been dkl's policy for a long time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there are any strict policies in place. There just isn't much worth talking about on either side. :stupid:
Actually there are, it's one of founder Don's rules, due to its potential for creating severely rude and inflammatory posts.
Hey I've been guilty of pushing the envelope myself but I "get it" now.
Not that much fun to be in a place where that goes on all the time.
It's happened, and moderators have completely deleted threads that went "over the cliff".
Hmmm...thought the policy was outlined in a post by Don also explaining the limitations of "text only" communication and why emoticons can help a message's intent be clear, thought it was a "sticky", but can't seem to find it now.
EDIT: I see even Default got in there and confirmed while I was still composing .
And after all this I realize that GAD already summarized it very well, it while I was in a "rush to post", not reading all the posts before starting one.

We police ourselves pretty well, much to moderators' relief, but occasionally if they see a potential problem looming they'll step in and give a warning.
The only thing that confuses me is that Frono uses a green font when moderating, and wouldn't one assume that meant "GO"?
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, Glenn. Indeed, not tolerated. Unfortunately, the reality of political discussion on a web site, in my experience, is highly divisive. Best wishes, and thanks for the kudos.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Most likely a good learning from what happened on AGF back in 2008.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, when you get a bunch of old guitarists together in a group, you're bound to hear some interesting stories!

griehund

Reaction score
What a disaster this morning. I took two guitar cases but only one guitar to our monthly nursing home gig so my buddy had to sit and sing empty handed. And to top it off, my selection of Holiday songs was called completely premature. All in all quite a downer. But to make up for my mess, I sang loud and a little off key and no one noticed. No where to go but up.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited: