Guild CE 100

Minty Green

Reaction score
Hello there,

This is my first post here - I've never owned a Guild before but I must say after doing some research I'm getting some serious GAS for one!

I was wondering if anyone here could help. I've seen a Guild CE 100 in blonde locally, it's with the single Franz pickup and looks in very good shape. I think it's a 58 or 59. I'm very interested in buying this guitar and essentially I've narrowed my choice down to this or a 53 125 which is nearly twice as much.

To me the Guild seems like good value, especially as it's good condition. Also the single cutaway is a good feature. Plus the necks tend to be more comfortable from what I can tell.

I was just wondering if anybody has owned both of the guitars and can make a comparison as to which might be better.

In terms of the music that I'm interested in making - well I love all the players from the 50's. Kenny Burrell, early Wes, Jimmy Raney. I like playing hornlike single lines and that's kind of the sound I have in my head.

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome! You came to a great place; very friendly people with an astounding amount of knowledge.
Words of warning: if you spend much time here, you will wind up owning several Guilds. Ask me how I know....
I have not owned a CE 100, but I did own a '56 ES-125 for a number of years. I liked it, it sounded and played great, but the lack of a cutaway was a major draw back; it really limited upper fret access, making it frustrating to play much. I sold it to help fund my first Guild, an X-170.
I would go for the 100 in a heartbeat, especally given the price difference.

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Welcome, mg.

I have no experience with a 53 125, but I used to own a 56 CE-100 with a single Franz pickup and it was one of the best guitars I ever played. It went to help fund a Guild AP guitar, but I really wish I had it back.

Here is Eddie McFadden playing this model with Jimmy Smith in the late 60's.

https://youtu.be/_NiIltwUudA

Good luck!

Last edited:

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned both, but had to let the ES-125 go some time ago.
I made up for that loss with an excellent '52 ES-150 so do have plenty of appreciation for both Gibsons and Guilds.

I've enjoyed and had to sell '56 and '60 CE-100's, both with single neck pickups......they were great guitars.
As it stands I'd probably invest in another CE-100 again before I'd look for another ES-125. Of course guitars can be individuals and I could be smitten again,
but its the sound of a good Franz pickup that I love and prefer.

I've been very happy with the earlier Franz equipped X-50....sort of Guild's answer to the ES-125.

Last edited:

Minty Green

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses guys - much appreciated.

I'm going to have to a look at the guitar when I get the chance. Apparently there is an issue with binding around the heel which has moved. A not uncommon problem on these from what I've read.

Looking at other threads it seems there's a lot of talk about neck resets on these older Guilds. Is there anything I should look for in terms of neck angle?

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Neck resets : not in my experience. It's important to note the difference between archtops and flattops : flat top guitars almost inevitably are going to need a neck reset at one point during their existance, it's the nature of the beast. The way a flattop is configured, it's somewhat of a self-destructive instrument over time. Tops belly and move and effectively "lift up" the bridge, and the whole enchilade can "fold up" a little too, exagerrating the problem.

Archtops are a whole other thing, and Guilds do not typically need resets the way for example Gretsch guitars do. There IS an odd issue with a lot of CE100D's and T-100D's with Franz pickups that I've seen where the neck pitch is so low that if you want super low action, the bridge pickup cover is too tall to allow it without the strings hitting the lead pickup. I don't think all of that phenomenon is wear and tear : I'm getting more and more convinced some of those guitars left the factory with a neck angle that was borderline OK to begin with, because I can't see a lot of evidence on those guitars of things having moved out of alignment.

But as far as neck resets go, the Hoboken Guild archtops that I've seen usually don't need them.

On a single pickup CE100 without Bigsby, a low-ish neck angle is of no negative consequence whatsoever, more of a good thing really. An unusually tall bridge height on an archtop can sound a little banjo-ish at times.

The only thing I have to add is that for the music you mention, make sure you don't think the Guild is too bright. A lot of Jazz players like humbuckers for a fatter, darker tone, but even in the world of single coils, a Franz pickup is usually a good deal brighter and twangier than a Gibson P90.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Good advice from Walter and I'll piggyback. The CE-100s are sort of a mid-depth guitar and, as such, will tend to have a brighter, barkier/snappier tone, particularly with the Franz pickup. If the ES-125 you're looking at is a full depth model, then it's probably the mellower of the two. You might look for an X-150 (or an X-50, if not concerned about a cutaway), if you want the deeper jazz archtop sound. Play it, though, if that's an option for you -- if you're not looking for that cliche, bloopy, all-the-treble-rolled-off jazz tone, then you might really like it.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'll add that I find Franz single coils to cover a lot of ground tonewise......

...Some more than others, but many of the older Gibson P-90's have a nice warm tone but lack the availability of brightness on the treble side.
Lots of people seem to find that satisfactory....but if desired one might need an EQ pedal to add some highs (but maybe not necessary depending on the amp).
Thats what I often do with my ES-150.

And as kakerlak has said.....body size and depth can make a difference too, given the same pickups.

That said....one can roll off Franz pickups to soften the edges or make them mellow just fine.....even with a single pickup T-100 slim body.
So they do warm but articulate well, then all the way to bright and edgy. Very important to me to have with a single neck pickup guitar.
I think the mid body depth of the CE-100 is a big plus for comfort and tonewise too....especially so for playing jazz lines etc.....at least for me anyway.

An early 50's ES-125 will likely have a bigger neck profile, 1 11/16 nut width, but same scale length as a '58-'59 CE-100.
The Guilds of that era frequently had 1 5/8" nuts but very playable and comfortable given the nice neck contours they tend to have.

guildman63

Reaction score
My 56 CE-100 had a perfect neck and neck angle. Be concerned with the old acoustic guitars, but every Guild archtop I have ever owned from the 50's and 60's had beautiful necks and neck angles.

Minty Green

Reaction score
Thanks again for your responses.

That Eddie McFadden clip with Jimmy Smith. Tonewise it sounds great! Best gear demo for one of these you can find I think. Very interesting use of tape covering the F holes to cut down on feedback.

At the moment I have a Japanese 175 clone and it's a very playable guitar but getting good articulation when playing chords is a difficult. With humbuckers it's just doesn't quite do it.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Minty Green!

I agree with everything my colleagues here have already stated -- lots of meaningful info. I'm a big fan of the CE-100, and I've had (and have) both the single and dual pickup variations, both with the Guild mini-humbuckers, which I really like. I used to favor them over the Franz particularly for jazz, but I think I'm torn now.

Since you mention interest in the ES-125, you may want to also consider the T-100, which Walter referenced above. It has a thinner body than the CE-100, and it also has with a florentine cutaway and came with with Franz PUs. If I recall -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this -- the 50s CE-100s have a slightly shallower body depth than the 60s models, but not by much.

Here's a nice review of a CE-100 with a single Franz and some sound samples. Good luck on your decision and welcome to LTG!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cool discussion. Mentioning the ES-125 also suggest the older X-50 as a similar player. It's essentially a slightly shallower ES-125, only with a Franz p/u instead of the P-90. The later ones did have metal covered p/us.

Minty Green

Reaction score
Update - so I'm going to see the guitar tomorrow with a view to buying it.

Just wondered about one thing though - I've heard the Franz pickups can be quite variable in terms of output.

Is there anything I should look out for?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Have you already checked out the Franz reference post here?

In general, their output is somewhat low compared to other pickups. I would only worry about a mismatched set, but in your case, you're only dealing with one, so that won't be a concern.

Minty Green

Reaction score
Ok so I went and did the deal yesterday and all I can say is thank god I didn't buy the Gibson!

The guitar has some issues but it's in remarkably good shape. Serial number I think dates it to 1959. I've not had the chance to plug it in other than just at very low volume at the seller's house but as expected it sounded bright and clear sounding. The binding has separated at the heel and around the top slightly but it's stable. The neck has been refinished as well, probably due to lacquer wear and it's been given a kind of paint with a gloopy gloss finish which is ok but feels a bit sticky in the hand. Other than that it's all original and very clean! The case is original though not a Guild Lifton case as it was imported to the UK and most likely the distributor or shop sold it separately. It's only had two owners in it's time.

It sounds great unplugged, resonant with a very pronounced bass. I love this guitar. At some point I will have to sort out the neck and the binding but it's fine for now. Here's some pics:

eneMVww.jpg

vMLc0iX.jpg

AaUqWQc.jpg

Lh4kCq5.jpg

vKcERVU.jpg

qeziuEC.jpg

pKgupDk.jpg

Last edited:

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice.....

I once had a '60 that looked just like that.
Seeing your pics brings up deeply held pangs of regret for letting it go.
:smile-new:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Very cool Guild! A good luthier will be able to fix up the binding, if you want, and also de-gloop the neck. I can hang just fine with wide or narrow or thick or thin necks, but sticky I just can't tolerate. :)

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fantastic MG! That is so clean. A competent luthier can definitely address the binding issues.

And I'm also glad it meets your expectations--they're truly phenomenal guitars. You are now officially one of us!