GF-60 (Maple) and G-45 ?

Nid2007

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have not checked back in here in a bit, and appreciate the info. Kate, I am the one that asked you the question about the D-30 on reverb, so it's a small world.
I am actually waffling between a 1989 GF-60 and an '85 G-47 (Hank). I've only played the Hank though. Both are in the same $1800 to $2000 price range. I really like the feel of the ebony boards on the Guilds--at least on the Hank Jr that I played.

Nid2007

Reaction score
I bought the Hank Jr. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Thanks to you all on this forum for the assistance.

Some pics:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just can't think of much that's more sexy than the wonderful grain/look you can get from a quality Maple guitar. Congrats!!!!! It's a looker for sure.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is one good looking Guild Nid2007! I have learned over the years that if something like that Hank Jr. model keeps haunting your soul a bit after playing it then there is really nothing else that is going to satisfy that itch for you. The only thing you are left with most of the time is a lifetime of regret if you let it slip away. Congrats on going after what you wanted and may you enjoy it for a long time to come!

TX

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mmmmmmaple!
That sure is a good looking guitar. Congrats!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar and great pics!
One of the cleanest HJs I've seen - great score and congrats!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Inner peace is a wonderful feeling--but with guitars "temporarily" is often a key word. Absolutely, a stunning guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I bought the Hank Jr. I couldn't get it out of my head.
Hey even if the initial infatuation fades and you wind up moving on, you'll know you at least had one in hand to know what it was like!
Congrats!

So I was looking at the back of my own F65ce recently, something I don't do often enough, and turned it sideways instead of "standing up" and all of a sudden saw the figuring in a wayI'd never really seen it before; the tiger striping effect was suddenly even more visible.
Then I started looking at it from the bottom to the top from a plane close to parallel with the back and as the actual grain lines became visually predominant I thought to myself:
"The wood has made an organic picture of the water that infused the living tree".
Yeah I get all flowery sometimes, but really, does any other wood do it so well?
Yours is showing a lot of that effect in the photo, the figuring looks like ripples in water.
'At's some nice silking visible around the bridge, too.
Bet it's even nicer in person.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. There is a 1990 D-30 avail for around 1k; maybe that's the ticket. But like you said, the "something" about the G45 is sticking in my head.

I am with Bonneville88 on this one.. Hard to beat a good D-30.. Even in good condition you should be able to score one for under $1k..
However, if something is sticking in your head, that may be the way you want to go.. You may regret it if you don't..

bobouz

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of maple, and that's a truly beautiful piece. There's a fine line for me where things can get a bit too over the top, as with some quilted maple bodies I've seen. This one's just right - a lovely combination of grain and flame.

Congrats & enjoy!

Nid2007

Reaction score
Thanks folks.

I take delivery tomorrow. My ‘69 Martin D-35 sold on reverb yesterday for my full asking price, and I pulled the trigger on the G45 minutes later.

Re D30 recommendations: it was the dense ebony fretboard and the feel of the neck that got to me as much as the tone and output. It just felt really good. I have had a couple of vintage guitars with that really hard ebony, but never one with a neck shape that felt as right as the fretboard.

The store I bought the G45 from is located in the town I was visiting family at. Great store and a Gibson 5 star dealer, so there were a lot of great Bozeman guitars in there. The G45 drew me back the next day and I made An offer that was rejected. In the end, I figured I might as well just pay the extra $ for the guitar that spoke to me rather than potentially buy a and sell a few chasing after this one.