Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NED - New Eastman Day

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    that dread looks really great. i am not surprised it won out over the all hog Collings but imho, that is probably a spruce vs hot top projection thing. hog tops are super subdued in projection, spruce not.
    It is a beaut WW and yes spruce projection was a big differentiator I am sure, but even that said, just the overall tone was more dynamic.. I have owned a few all hog dreads and it was the dark warm balanced tone ( not projection ) that always won me over.. I was just more impressed over all with the Eastman.. So was the owner.... Granted.. The Collings wasn't exactly going to go him with me even if I had been more impressed with it.. And I am not taking anything away from Collings. I have played a few and they have all been pretty amazing guitars..

I guess the thing for me is I am not a $4k guitar guy - at least not at the moment. My most expensive guitar is my F-55 which was $2k ( normally street price $3500 - but was a scratch and dent ).. That will be as high as I go for a while..
    Extended Family:
    '18 Guild F55 Jumbo ( Oxnard )
    '88 Guild GF30 SBX ( Westerly )
    '78 Guild D35 SB ( Westerly )
    '77 Guild S300 Natural ( Westerly )
    '65 Guild Mark I ( Hoboken )

The others:
    '19 Eastman E6D Sunburst ( MIC )
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp

Mark- What model did you order? 335 copy? Their electrics are damn nice.. They have a Les Paul that is $1800.. Granted it is probably 3 times better than a new Gibson LP... Sorry if any Gibby lovers out there :)
    I picked up a black double cutaway Gibson LP with a single P-90 yesterday at GC killing some time.. It felt like I was holding plastic and it just looked like whoever built it didn't care.. Neck joint was kind of sloppy looking..
    Extended Family:

The others:
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Quote Originally Posted by D30Man View Post

I guess the thing for me is I am not a $4k guitar guy -
    totally right there with you. i am more now a $400 guitar guy :)
    Woody

the Br ('71 D25)

Thanks! Yeah it mainly felt really good supporting my local privately owned guitar shop..
    Unfortunately, your privately owned guitar shop does not feel the same as you. Eastman guitars are made in China.

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark 5 NT, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    Unfortunately, your privately owned guitar shop does not feel the same as you. Eastman guitars are made in China.
    Tom
    To be fair I don't think his preferred shop would be able to find a domestic built instrument to offer at that price/quality point.
    I don't hold it against 'em as long as they're not trying to hide the county of origin, as some internet sellers appear to do.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post

Tom
    Well aware of their origin.. As is the shop..
    Extended Family:

The others:

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    totally right there with you. i am more now a $400 guitar guy :)
    Ha! Right?

Now mind you when the kids are gone I hope to be in a position to throw down on a lifetime boutique guitar, buuuuuut for now I have been pretty lucky with my sub $2k guitars..
    Extended Family:

The others:

for now I have been pretty lucky with my sub $2k guitars..
    All my life I've only ever owned sub $2k guitars. In fact, it wasn't until finding LTG that I finally owned my first (then second then third) over $1k guitar(s)...

You guys cost a lot.
    T100 Mod Adventures!

Old tunes written and recorded in good ol' college days.

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

Yeah they saw me coming.. And usually I am a much more conservative buyer.. Oh well.. I felt like spending my money at a local shop that has taken good care of me and my guitars over the past few years.. I have brought my guitars in there for quick adjustments and they wouldn't charge me anything for it.. Felt like it was a way I could pay them back and I got two stellar guitars out of the deal.
    Congrats D30Man on two great looking guitars! I do the same thing with my local mom and pop shop. They have been taking care of me and my Guitars for 20 years so whenever I can purchase something locally to throw them some more business I do. I do purchase online as well but if I am buying something like a mid level Mandolin or a guitar for my friend's kid who is learning I always try to buy through them first as opposed to online, even if it means I spend another $100 or so. I mean I would have spent that in shipping anyway right? Best of luck with your two new acquisitions, Big fan of the Teardrop burst on that Dread!

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by txbumper57 View Post
    Congrats D30Man on two great looking guitars! I do the same thing with my local mom and pop shop. They have been taking care of me and my Guitars for 20 years so whenever I can purchase something locally to throw them some more business I do. I do purchase online as well but if I am buying something like a mid level Mandolin or a guitar for my friend's kid who is learning I always try to buy through them first as opposed to online, even if it means I spend another $100 or so. I mean I would have spent that in shipping anyway right? Best of luck with your two new acquisitions, Big fan of the Teardrop burst on that Dread!

TX
    Thanks TX! Agreed all the way around.. Now if I could just get the shop to start carrying US Guilds..
    Extended Family:

The others: