Thread: Blackstar Artist 15...

Blackstar Artist 15...

I just discovered this amp, and it really sounds great! The 15 watt version has two channels, with channel one simply bypassing the preamp and using only volume, tone, master volume, and reverb. Channel two adds a three band EQ, and there is a dial to switch from an American sound to a more British sound, and any combination in between. This amp uses two 6L6 tubes for the power section, and I believe it is hand wired. The 30 watt version is 2x12, and 1x12 for the 15 watt version. The speaker is a Celestion V Type, and it sounds very good! As for the weight, I believe it is 18kg, which is roughly in the ballpark of a Fender Mustang III (dimensionally as well). It is available in blonde from Sweetwater for $720.

Anyone have any experience with this amp?

https://blackstaramps.com/uk/products/artist-15

This is a PCB amp…but I remember being curious about the power section when it was first announced. Are the 6L6s just running at low voltage or is it double single-ended? (The latter would be more interesting IMO as not too many guitar amps work that way.) Don't think I saw any reviews at the time that clarified this.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

I stand corrected regarding this amp being hand wired as it definitely uses two boards: one for the front panel, and one for the back panel. The Artisan series is hand wired, not the Artist series. As for the power section, I don’t know what they did to get two 6L6’s to put out only 15 watts, but all the reviews seem to indicate that it is a very loud amp. They also say that with single coils on channel one you can practically dime the volume and it will remain clean. Very interesting!
    Last edited by guildman63; 09-16-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Gman63 - I found this one on the verb listed in excellent condish for $450 ( price plus shipping )..

https://reverb.com/item/26262062-bla...mbo-2016-black
    Extended Family:
    '18 Guild F55 Jumbo ( Oxnard )
    '88 Guild GF30 SBX ( Westerly )
    '78 Guild D35 SB ( Westerly )
    '77 Guild S300 Natural ( Westerly )
    '65 Guild Mark I ( Hoboken )

The others:
    '19 Eastman E6D Sunburst ( MIC )
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp

Tempting!