A couple of X-82 questions

nmiller

Reaction score
I just picked up one of these. Because, you know, everyone needs a pointy guitar in a metallic finish for playing Chet Atkins. Two questions:

1) Aside from the silhouette and top binding, is there any practical difference between the X-82 and X-79? I realize there are variations of each, but if you have two run-of-the-mill examples with XR-7s, stop tailpieces and non-locking nuts, is there any significant difference?

2) All the sources say that the X-82 first appeared in 1981, including Guild's serial chart. I've been perusing GAD's online collection of Guild price lists, and the X-82 doesn't appear until 1983 (at which point it's specifically marked as NEW). Is the serial chart a couple of years off? I'm mainly curious because mine has a low serial which would put it in the first year of production.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just picked up one of these. Because, you know, everyone needs a pointy guitar in a metallic finish for playing Chet Atkins. Two questions:

1) Aside from the silhouette and top binding, is there any practical difference between the X-82 and X-79? I realize there are variations of each, but if you have two run-of-the-mill examples with XR-7s, stop tailpieces and non-locking nuts, is there any significant difference?

2) All the sources say that the X-82 first appeared in 1981, including Guild's serial chart. I've been perusing GAD's online collection of Guild price lists, and the X-82 doesn't appear until 1983 (at which point it's specifically marked as NEW). Is the serial chart a couple of years off?
Am I missing something? I see a gap from the '81 list to the October '85 price list although the September '81 price list does show the X-79 as "New".
The X82 does appear in the '83 catalog, maybe that's what you meant?
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/07/22/guild-1983-electric-guitar-catalog/
(assuming that's dated correctly, and GAD himself cautions that he had to make some deductive guesses about dates on some of those catalogs, and there's some gaps in those, too.)
Think the real problem is we have no '81 or '82 electric catalogs available to see what they show.
That '83 catalog, assuming it's dated correctly, was likely actually put together or at least started in '82 as it is.
We know there are gaps and outright errors of omission and s/n-by-model number errors in Guild's s/n lists but I don't recall issues of a start date being off by a couple of years, I "assume" the s/n list is accurate for those models.
One other thing to consider is that catalogs at the time had to be laid out for printers well in advance of the actual printing and shipping date, even as far as 6 months to allow for proofing and changes or corrections, so one just can't take catalog verbiage too literally when it comes to statements like "new".
I note that the X-79 blurb in that "83 (?)" catalog says the X-79 was introduced "Less than one year ago".
All put together I don't think that contradicts an '81 first year date on the s/n lists for either that one or the X-82 (which I see is described as "a new addition to our electric family" in that " '83" catalog).

Can't answer the "significant difference" question but suspect a close read of the specs on each will yield a couple of built detail differences which may not be all that significant.
Toss in Guild's known proclivity for doing exactly what you mention (putting parts originally introduced on one model onto others while production is running), and I think that'll help you figure it out.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
looks like one could chop wood with an X82.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No, the X-79 was definitely around in '81 - it shows up in multiple price lists in '81 and '82. It's the X-82 that doesn't seem to show up until the March '83 price list: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/08/09/guild-guitar-price-list-1983-march-2/#gallery-3.
I wasn't saying it the X-79 wasn't around in '81, I was just trying to explain that we've seen lots of examples of models being available before they appeared in price lists or catalogs, but now I understand your source.
It's buried in his blog and nothing from '82 or '83 (except the catalog) shows up when one starts at his home page and selects "Guild Guitar Price lists" from the "Guild Guitars" drop down menu.
In any case, I still think it's not too surprising that X-82's were being shipped to market before appearing on a price list or catalog, we've got many known examples of that.
I was just trying to explain why I think the s/n lists are accurate in this case, because price lists for sure and catalogs too, frequently lagged behind actual delivery of models to the market.
It couldn't be avoided, the most important thing was to get the instruments out the door, not wait until the catalog or price list was released.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, the X-79 is listed in the Sep '81 and March '82 price lists but the X-82 is in neither.

Again, I don't think that contradicts the s/n lists when we know price lists for sure and catalogs too, frequently lagged behind actual delivery of models to the market.