Pickup selector switch for '97 Starfire II

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
Looks like my switch needs replacement. Any recommendations on where to find one, or what's currently available that best matches the original?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Switchcraft. Should be available lots of places. I’m mobile but can share pics later if you need.

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
See plenty of Switchcraft toggles for 2-pickup guitars, but all with plastic handles. So should I replace the metal-handled switch with a plastic handle on a vintage guitar, or find something that looks like the original? Or can you even find that exact switch anymore? Decisions, decisions!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The switch tip just comes off. Use the old one on the new switch.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The switch tip just comes off. Use the old one on the new switch.
Just to illustrate, you just screw on whatever version/color/material you like or use the old switch tip as GAD proposed. EDIT: Read next post by Hans first!

images
images
images

Ralf

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like my switch needs replacement. Any recommendations on where to find one, or what's currently available that best matches the original?

Switchcraft.

See plenty of Switchcraft toggles for 2-pickup guitars, but all with plastic handles. So should I replace the metal-handled switch with a plastic handle on a vintage guitar, or find something that looks like the original? Or can you even find that exact switch anymore?

Just to illustrate, you just screw on whatever version/color/material you like or use the old switch tip as GAD proposed.

Hello Steve,

The switch in your Starfire was most likely not made by Switchcraft, but by some company in the Far-East. There are several versions of that switch made by different companies, but the one in your guitar will probably have a 4 mm (metric) thread on the inside of the switch tip. That switch tip will not fit a Switchcraft made switch.

The easiest thing for you would be ordering a similar switch from StewMac (or other seller) and make sure that you get one with a 4 mm (metric) thread. That means asking the seller some questions!

However, the switch that you have in your guitar is not the greatest one; it's OK at best and it might be the reason you're looking to replace it right now. I guess you have to be a little lucky with those!

If you want a good switch, buy a Switchcaft made one, but that means you need to buy another switch tip to retain the original look. Allparts sells a Chrome switch tip that will fit a Switchcraft switch. It's not exactly the same, but it's closer than using a plastic one.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl