Another Year: No NGD

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my case, it really comes down to which would bring me the most improvement: a new guitar or an extra hour of playing every week. I got caught up in the fallacy that a new guitar would make me a better player. To an extent that is true if you are trying to play a really cheap guitar that has never been setup properly. But once you reach a certain level of guitar quality, practice helps more than new guitars.

But in the spirit of enabling, once you reach a certain point in practicing, something new reinvigorates the practicing (and thus the improvement). That said it is true that there are other "new" things that can refocus practice besides a NGD.

jwsamuel

Reaction score
But in the spirit of enabling, once you reach a certain point in practicing, something new reinvigorates the practicing (and thus the improvement). That said it is true that there are other "new" things that can refocus practice besides a NGD.

I agree. I am not there yet. Perhaps in a few months.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Be strong, you can do it. In 9 years, you can get a 10yr pin.

They really should have support groups for people who are about to fall off the wagon, and apparently this is not it ;)))

Bernie

Reaction score
Selling a guitar may change one's life, even save it sometimes ; having two guitars is a must for when a friend comes pay a visit : the guitar for him/her to play, may be good and not mint, as to lend it with no fear...
And who knows, Guild guitars may end up being very searched for, and help us when we are old and retired... Gas ain't necessarily bad; addictions are bad though, and should be defeated...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Be strong, you can do it. In 9 years, you can get a 10yr pin.

They really should have support groups for people who are about to fall off the wagon, and apparently this is not it ;)))

Nope.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
:glee:

having two guitars is a must for when a friend comes to pay a visit
And #3 is so you have a backup even if one's in the shop (most likely getting a fret job).
That's what I used to say when the old "How many?" question came up.
Also that the prophet said you can have as many wives as you want but if you wanna have more than 3 you're nuts.
Recently I discovered the fun to be had with experimenting with strings and just lowering the tuning on a given instrument, "re-voicing" 2 of 'em was equivalent to having 2 new guitars, for me.
That said, the old completist collector in me feels a legitimate need for a rosewood bodied instrument.
Fortunately for my wallet Guild don't make the mandatory body with scale length I will require.
And I ain't gonna introduce a new breeds to a stable fulla Guilds.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
having two guitars is a must for when a friend comes to pay a visit
And #3 is so you have a backup even if one's in the shop (most likely getting a fret job).
That's what I used to say when the old "How many?" question came up.
Also that the prophet said you can have as many wives as you want but if you wanna have more than 3 you're nuts.
Recently I discovered the fun to be had with experimenting with strings and just lowering the tuning on a given instrument, "re-voiceing" 2 of 'em was equivalent to having 2 new guitars, for me.
That said, the old completist collector in me feels a legitimate need for a rosewood bodied instrument.
Fortunately for my wallet Guild don't make the mandatory body with scale length I will require.

:smile:

Bernie

Reaction score
(.....)

:smile:
No worry; they usually are peaceful animals (at least the acoustics)... :chuncky:
Of course I am talkinng about keeping it reasonable, and not going further than what can be afforded without threatening vital or essential things (would be kind of an addiction otherwise)...
You seem to have very good guitars already anyway.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have had many guitars over the years - but almost all different electrics, since my Guild D-64 was the only acoustic I had for over 30 years (now in the capable hands of LTGer wileypickett). I never had more than 3 total guitars at a time, usually only 2 - 1 acoustic and 1 electric. I always got rid of one when I got a "new" one, sometimes made a few bucks, sometimes not. And that's where I still am - 1 acoustic and 1 electric. And I finally scored a birth year guitar! Plus, since my ES-225T sounds quite nice unplugged, I'm still OK if a friend comes over...

It's weird, I've never had a great desire to have several guitars. Which is good - I've never had a lot of extra cash either! So maybe it's more "necessity" than lack of "desire". My career choice of teaching at a small college gives me a job I love, and a great lifestyle with lots of time to play the guitar, but not a lot of cash to buy guitars. And as I look to retirement (and the funds I need), it's even less likely I will have any other guitars than the ones I have.

Ha! I cannot be swayed by you evil LTG "enablers". I am with you, jwsamuel!

walrus

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I should be writing an ad to sell one or a bunch instead of being here, but somehow not doing it... Now that Xmas is over is the time to strike though, I probably have a dozen that could go away and I'd still have more than I need.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No worry; they usually are peaceful animals (at least the acoustics)... :chuncky:
Oh I'm not worried about intercultural conflict.
Just the fact that even though I could get my ideal build formula with another logo on the headstock, it'd be like the sore thumb Camaro sticking out in a garage full of Mustangs.
:glee:
Of course I am talkinng about keeping it reasonable, and not going further than what can be afforded without threatening vital or essential things (would be kind of an addiction otherwise)...
You seem to have very good guitars already anyway.
Why thanks, and truth be told I've always agreed with those who hold that Guild was always a world-class price-to-value proposition.
Every one of 'em was obtained at significant discount off list ($700.00 OTD, from off a $999.000 "Sale" tag), and the asking price was a major draw on the D25 which got me started in the first place.
The F65ce was at close-out price ($1699.00 "OTD" vs $2299 list, with case and warranty) about a year after Westerly closed (although I was ignorant of the fact at the time).
The D40 was $1495.00 OTD off the $1999.00 list, again as "distressed" (slow moving) inventory.
Actually bought that one when I looked at Fender's website to see what D25's were currently going for and discovered (GASP!!!) the GAD series showing up and no domestic D25 listed, but the new Richie Havens Signature edition D40 was showing.
Thought I saw Fender's writing on the wall re Guild's future and decided I better get one last American-built Guild while I could, although if Richie hadn't already been one of my heroes I probably wouldn't have.
(My earnings had recently been enhanced but I didn't really have a need and rarely make a purchase on a whim.)
Also didn't know that Fender was already in the process of closing down Corona when I bought it in Mar. '04, although I'm sure Guitar Showcase did.
One of things to my benefit was also that I never developed that pitfall thought that "A different guitar will make me better", I just never knew any better when it came to set up and figured getting good tone from a given guitar was a matter of me developing better technique.
So the D25 was a real revelation for playability, I never knew it could be so good.
NOw I did buy the F65ce out of sheer lust even though when I tried it out I knew it was going to require major technique adjustment.
But again, I figured that was up to me as a player and so when I first joined up here and saw comments about passing on certain guitars because they were "hard to play", I didn't always agree.
Sometimes you gotta adjust to the guitar and really good ones reward that.
Thee F65ce did it in spades, became my go-to favorite for playing comfort as my poor old shoulders started to complain if playing the dreadnoughts longer than an hour.
Still, there are a couple of things I know I'd like to have on one guitar, that's why there's still the "pipe dream" #4; if Guild ever gets around to offering the specs I want.
I want a 1-11/16 nut width on that shortscale neck, something I can't find they ever offered at all, as a standard spec at least.
I'm hoping they'll revive the F47Rce and offer the neck/nut width as a special order build.
Heck make it an F65Rce (shallow body) with "the neck" and I suspect I'd be in heaven.

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
Oh I'm not worried about intercultural conflict.
Just the fact that even though I could get my ideal build formula with another logo on the headstock, it'd be like the sore thumb Camaro sticking out in a garage full of Mustangs.
:glee: (...)
Sometimes you gotta adjust to the guitar and really good ones reward that.
Thee F65ce did it in spades, became my go-to favorite for playing comfort as my poor old shoulders started to complain if playing the dreadnoughts longer than an hour.
Still, there are a couple of things I know I'd like to have on one guitar, that's why there's still the "pipe dream" #4; if Guild ever gets around to offering the specs I want.
I want a 1-11/16 nut width on that shortscale neck, something I can't find they ever offered at all, as a standard spec at least.
I'm hoping they'll revive the F47Rce and offer the neck/nut width as a special order build.
Heck make it an F65Rce (shallow body) with "the neck" and I suspect I'd be in heaven.
Don't know what proportion of the old acoustic U.S. made models they still make in their new Oxnard factory these days.
Seems like a lot of them are currently discontinued, or not available, though they seem to be gradually starting to make some of the iconic models again, one after the other...
My F-30, or F-20s among others are not currently made I know.

Well listen, don't know about short scale or even 1"11/16 neck width but, hands up, seems like you're done... :saturn: www.reverb.com/fr/item/6795950-guild-f47rce-natural-acoustic-guitar[ (I hope the link wull work)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems like a lot of them are currently discontinued, or not available, though they seem to be gradually starting to make some of the iconic models again, one after the other...

To the extent that Oxnard has announced their plans, the plan is to reintroduce iconic/traditional models gradually. So what they are not making now, they may be making in five years.

Bernie

Reaction score
Isn't it that 5 years would be a long time, and that many might have forgotten about their favourite models - or their "pipe dream"- by then ?
I understand mister Adorshki, as I consider that rosewood might be the most rewarding tonewood on an acoustic guitar for the player. I've read that some pros like mahogany better for recording, as it seems to be more clean and distinct, when rosewood's rich overtones tend to melt with other instruments and sounds, and make the whole thing a bit confused somehow at times (if I understood well what they mean)...But I like rosewood.
Bernie

Bernie

Reaction score
Give me the Guild Maple anytime. I'm a huge fan. Followed closely by Mahogany with RW coming in close behind.

Hey man, it's about time to wake up ; you have a long way to go...I watched your signature and, among acoustics 6 strings, I could only find that DD6 MCE that has maple back and sides :playful:
Okay, I might not know many Guild acoustics models, but still, I see lots of RW or Mahogany I think, and far less Maple...(Sorry if it's hard for you to contain Gas, I'm just kidding)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Isn't it that 5 years would be a long time, and that many might have forgotten about their favourite models - or their "pipe dream"- by then ?
I understand mister Adorshki, as I consider that rosewood might be the most rewarding tonewood on an acoustic guitar for the player.[/quote]
Oh I'm fine with my 3 right now, and I'm only going to be 68 in 5 years, and my pipe dream is already about 3 years old although I got flexible about the tonewood, it used to be maple until I realized I "needed" a rosewood body.
It's that neck spec that's non-negotiable.
As for that F47Rce, they've all got 25-5/8" scale necks.
And with my preference for buying new (warranty, among other things), I won't consider a used one unless it's actually got that shortscale neck with the 1-11/6 nut.
That's the rub, all the shortscale necks got 1-5/8 nuts", even some of the longscale necks have a 1-5/8" nut (my F65ce does).
Thing is, they never offered that combo on the GA body, as far as I've seen since I realty started paying attention and looking the last 3 years or so.
That F47's the same outline as my F65ce (maple archback) except it's rosewood flatback and about an inch deeper in body.
I've read that some pros like mahogany better for recording, as it seems to be more clean and distinct, when rosewood's rich overtones tend to melt with other instruments and sounds, and make the whole thing a bit confused somehow at times (if I understood well what they mean)...But I like rosewood.
Bernie
Funny thing, a couple of years ago I realized my D40(hog body) actually records the best of the 3, it has the least distortion and best balance and bass, which I attribute to its flatback.
Thee D25 of identical size and woods is arched back and distorts noticeably on a cellphone mic and is "airier" and more delicate sounding when recorded with a good mic.
The F65ce cuts through the best when recording with another guitar, though.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey man, it's about time to wake up ; you have a long way to go...I watched your signature and, among acoustics 6 strings, I could only find that DD6 MCE that has maple back and sides :playful:
Okay, I might not know many Guild acoustics models, but still, I see lots of RW or Mahogany I think, and far less Maple...(Sorry if it's hard for you to contain Gas, I'm just kidding)

I'll get right on that Bernie. But there are a couple Guild Maples I presently own that you missed and a few more that aren't on my signature. Plus don't discount some of the electrics as well.

There just are a lot more Mahogany/Rosewood desirable Guilds than Maple (at least I've found that to be true)

Bernie

Reaction score
:very_drunk:
As for that F47Rce, they've all got 25-5/8" scale necks.
And with my preference for buying new (warranty, among other things), I won't consider a used one unless it's actually got that shortscale neck with the 1-11/6 nut.
That's the rub, all the shortscale necks got 1-5/8 nuts", even some of the longscale necks have a 1-5/8" nut (my F65ce does).
Thing is, they never offered that combo on the GA body, as far as I've seen since I realty started paying attention and looking the last 3 years or so.
That F47's the same outline as my F65ce (maple archback) except it's rosewood flatback and about an inch deeper in body.
I understand your choice ; I find 1" 11/16 necks too narrow myself - my F-30 must have a 1" 3/4 neck, or pretty close, though I'm not too familiar with short or long scales, and don't quite make any difference so far...I must have had only long scale acoustics (when it comes to steel strings at least...). :smile:

I'll get right on that Bernie. But there are a couple Guild Maples I presently own that you missed and a few more that aren't on my signature. Plus don't discount some of the electrics as well.

There just are a lot more Mahogany/Rosewood desirable Guilds than Maple (at least I've found that to be true)
I saw that you bought an other maple guitar very recently (even felt a bit guilty after that), a GF-30 I believe... I was just kidding anyhow; I know you've got quite a few guitars already, and that the DD6 MCE seems to be a very interesting guitar too... Have fun (looking forward to hearing your impressions on the newcomer...). :very_drunk:

A Very Happy New Year to All

Bernie

Last edited: