Townshend turned down writing score for Blade Runner...

JF-30

Reaction score
Yeah I could do with a little less synth on Who Are You, not the song but the rest of the album.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In the synth world that's a compliment!

-Dave-
I have to admit it was inspired by the legendary Kurt Vonnegut Jr. in Breakfast of Champions:

“As for the story itself, it was entitled "The Dancing Fool." Like so many Trout stories, it was about a tragic failure to communicate. Here was the plot: A flying saucer creature named Zog arrived on Earth to explain how wars could be prevented and how cancer could be cured. He brought the information from Margo, a planet where the natives conversed by means of farts and tap dancing. Zog landed at night in Connecticut. He had no sooner touched down than he saw a house on fire. He rushed into the house, farting and tap dancing, warning the people about the terrible danger they were in. The head of the house brained Zog with a golfclub.”

And so it goes.

That's great!
Never seen that before.
And all joking aside, I think I already said I actually love "Who Are You" to death.
I can still remember the very first time I heard it on radio back in the day, on the AM radio in my '75 Chevy Monza.
It was like getting an old friend back after they'd been off on a self-destructive journey.
Quadrophenia left me cold, and By Numbers ?
Well, let's just say I was already deeply into Euro-progressive and anything on the ECM label by then:
Towner, Abercrombie, DeJohnette...

Seeing Moonie in that vid almost made me cry.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I have to admit it was inspired by the legendary Kurt Vonnegut Jr. in Breakfast of Champions

Love Vonnegut, especially his short stories…never read Breakfast Of Champions, though.

Also love Quadrophenia. It is a very English album. A lot of the cultural references in the songs are very specific to that country. And the songs are deliberately monochromatic (grey, rainy Blighty) in tone…to like the album I guess you have to like that sound and mood. Pete's demos for it are IMO his best ever.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also love Quadrophenia. It is a very English album. A lot of the cultural references in the songs are very specific to that country. And the songs are deliberately monochromatic (grey, rainy Blighty) in tone…to like the album I guess you have to like that sound and mood. Pete's demos for it are IMO his best ever.
-Dave-
Right, I even knew that then, so didn't hold it against 'em, just never bought it.
And like a lot of music, actually like it a whole lot more now than I did back then.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Woody, you can find 'em here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL140FD9C2D8483D06

This includes songs written for Quadrophenia but either not recorded or not used by The Who. They're all included in the Quad box set from 2011.

Here's a direct link to Is It In My Head?, one of my favs, featuring an extra verse:

https://youtu.be/IJk7FukFhLI

BTW, there's no 5:15 demo 'cuz Pete never recorded one. He wrote that song while the album was being recorded.

-Dave-

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
They (The Who) put them out on a 4 CD super deluxe set several years back.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody, you can find 'em here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL140FD9C2D8483D06

This includes songs written for Quadrophenia but either not recorded or not used by The Who. They're all included in the Quad box set from 2011.

Here's a direct link to Is It In My Head?, one of my favs, featuring an extra verse:

https://youtu.be/IJk7FukFhLI

BTW, there's no 5:15 demo 'cuz Pete never recorded one. He wrote that song while the album was being recorded.

-Dave-

thanks Dave! i am going to listen right now at work...slow day.
5:15 he just cut like in studio? that is one of my all time 3 fave Who songs.

amazing.

JF-30

Reaction score
Love Vonnegut, especially his short stories…never read Breakfast Of Champions, though.

-Dave-
Wait are your telling me The Who, a group form England put out a very English album. Get the hell out.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
ok, fantastic, these demos. so basically, the band would just do the Pete demo version, for the most part...

that had to be their SOP for all their albums.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
thanks Dave! i am going to listen right now at work...slow day.
5:15 he just cut like in studio? that is one of my all time 3 fave Who songs.

amazing.

I think Pete played the song on acoustic guitar for the others, and then they worked up an arrangement on the spot.

Beginning with *Lifehouse (Who's Next) The Who followed Pete's demos quite closely, and sometimes even used the demo as the basic track that they then overdubbed on top of.

-Dave-

*Arguably Tommy even.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Pete played the song on acoustic guitar for the others, and then they worked up an arrangement on the spot.

Beginning with *Lifehouse (Who's Next) The Who followed Pete's demos quite closely, and sometimes even used the demo as the basic track that they then overdubbed on top of.

-Dave-

*Arguably Tommy even.

amazing! Townshend is a genius. Where the Beatles and Stones were often more of a collaboration in songwriting, sounds like PT was the main source in the Who. I mean, dont get me wrong, each member was fantastic, The Who would not have been the Who without all 4...but still...the news is quite mind-blowing.

i think PT described the Who as 4 soloists playing at the same time...something like that. maybe that was Daltrey.