FS: 1970 Guild F-512 Brazilian Rosewood w/ F-612 Inlays

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorj

Reaction score
Hi y'all...

Longtime lurker here. Considering parting with an incredibly rare and truly magnificent sounding instrument. Wanted to give my fellow Guild fans first dibs. My apologies in advance for the long and detailed description...

Selling my 1970 Guild F-512 flattop acoustic 12 string guitar. I bought this guitar many years ago from the original owner. He was in a Kingston Trio cover band in the late 1960s and early 1970s. After a number of successful shows in the New York area sometime around 1971/1972, he took all of his hard-earned money to Manny's on 48th Street and bought this guitar. He gigged with it for many years, always taking extremely good care of it. In the late 1970s, he retired from performing when his group disbanded, after which he kept this guitar at home in its case.

Despite being in remarkably clean cosmetic condition, when I bought this gthe instrument was in desperate need of a neck reset. I took the guitar to Gruhn's in Nashville for evaluation and repair. At Gruhn's, the guitar received a neck reset and refret. There was a very small pickguard crack that was also repaired, and the pickguard was removed and reglued in the process. The quality of the repair work performed is truly outstanding, and the instrument now plays perfectly and sounds magnificent.

George Gruhn himself was very impressed with the instrument. He said he's never encountered another one like it. Being that the F-512 was available through special order only from 1968-1974, this example shows many differences from the standard model and even others built around the same time. This guitar features an arched, laminated Brazilian rosewood back with laminated Brazilian rosewood sides. It features the incredibly rare F-612 style fingerboard inlays. This guitar also has a one-piece mahogany neck with a stacked heel, and a mahogany veneer on the back of the peghead – a feature primarily seen on high-end Guild classical Mark series guitars from the era.

Mr. Gruhn had the guitar photographed and documented while it was in his shop so that it could be featured in an article in Vintage Guitar magazine. I will include my physical copy of the magazine with the sale of this guitar, but the article is also available online here: https://www.vintageguitar.com/29226/guild-f-512/

I must confess, I am quite reluctant to sell this guitar. It truly is one of the finest sounding instruments I've ever encountered, and perhaps the best sounding twelve string I've ever played. The guitar is not listed for sale anywhere else, and if it doesn't sell here I very well may end up just keeping it.

Asking $5,000 + shipping to LTG members only. Despite having been appraised at a higher value by Mr. Gruhn, I feel it is only fair to pass this guitar along to another Guild fan for how much I have already invested in it. More high-resolution photos available upon request.

Sale includes a newer Guild Hardshell Case. The original one fell apart before I bought the instrument, and the original owner replaced it with the current one sometime in the 1990s.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

LfQNc2h.jpg
[/IMG]
xDjmjKc.jpg
[/IMG]
SWsbWv7.jpg
[/IMG]
AJHjG2k.jpg
[/IMG]
zPOmXVh.jpg
[/IMG]
MWPIAyf.jpg
[/IMG]
VZRQnEM.jpg
[/IMG]
v2XurBY.jpg
[/IMG]
5vcDCge.jpg
[/IMG]
prDpmyy.jpg
[/IMG]
KYijhAN.jpg
[/IMG]
d7w8aXO.jpg
[/IMG]
YdDYBGM.jpg
[/IMG]
kS0g1oy.jpg
[/IMG]
m6X94zC.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor, can you provide a picture of the label in the soundhole? Or at least the serial #?

Thanks.

geoguy

Reaction score
Let's see if we can get a couple of the seller's actual photos posted here:

xDjmjKc.jpg

kS0g1oy.jpg

VZRQnEM.jpg

v2XurBY.jpg

Fabulous, unique guitar . . . good luck with your sale!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! I see a lot of guitars claiming to be braz that just don’t look like it. This one is gorgeous!

taylorj

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest and the kind words. This truly is a special instrument. Sonically, it sounds enormous. One of the biggest, most powerful sounding guitars I've ever played. As robust as it sounds when driven hard, it also responds incredibly well to a light touch and softer finger picking. I've been on the fence about whether or not to sell it, and as such I am only offering it to the LTG community at this time. If it doesn't sell here, I intend to keep it. Happy to ship the guitar, but can also do a local sale in either NYC and Nashville.

I finally figured out how to attach photos, so I revised my initial post to include some high quality shots of the guitar.

Awagner, here are some more close up photographs of the guitar, including the ones you requested. Wanted to also be sure to show a small hairline crack in the bridge between the pins, which was repaired by Gruhn's, as well as a small finish crack in the heel that occurred in the neck re-resetting process. It is superficial and does not go through to the wood.

6kfdJIc.jpg
[/IMG]
oWHk8GR.jpg
[/IMG]
gYd7P01.jpg
[/IMG]
PqXWyig.jpg
[/IMG]
YqXREN6.jpg
[/IMG]
EChsEXm.jpg
[/IMG]
F54nntH.jpg
[/IMG]
Dsv3Z0b.jpg
[/IMG]

shot put

Reaction score
Is this guitar still available. I have 2 612s. I would like to purchase this guitar. Scott Flox 801 9351155. Email gooney57@gmail.com
Thanks. Scott

taylorj

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the interest. Have responded to all PMs and emails.

F-412Spec

Reaction score
Interested, but apparently I cannot contact (message) you because I am a new member. Can you message me or email me using my contact info??

Reaction score
Hi, would you sell or change one F612?
I could offer you a very rare DV-74 for example.
best regards from Germany!

taylorj

Reaction score
Hi y'all... thanks for the interest. Just wanted to give you all an update. After much deliberation, I have decided to keep this guitar. Just can't quite bring myself to part with such a special instrument. Again, thanks for inquiring and sorry to disappoint any interested buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.