Winter NAMM 2020: X-350 Stratford in Scarlet Red

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought this guitar justifies its own thread now.

1606052690998.png

Side4-2R9A8670m.jpg

X-350.00_18_45_15.Still006.jpg

Press Release: https://guildguitars.com/a-fresh-take-on-a-revered-classic-the-x-350-stratford/

Guild model page: https://guildguitars.com/g/x-350-stratford/

A few specs:

Body TypeHollowbody
Body ShapeLike Guild X-175
Body TopArched Spruce
Top Bracing PatternParallel Tone Bars
Body SidesMaple
Body BackArched Maple

Neck MaterialMahogany with a Maple Center Strip
Scale Length24 3/4" (629mm)
Neck ShapeVintage Soft "U"
Nut Width1 11/16" (43mm)
Nut MaterialBone
Truss RodDual Action
Truss Rod Wrench7mm Socket Wrench
Fingerboard MaterialEbony
Fingerboard Radius9 1/2" (240mm)
Fret TypeNarrow Jumbo

FinishGloss Polyurethane
BridgeGuild Tune-O-Matic with Pinned Ebony Bridge
Tuning MachinesGrover Sta-Tote Open-Gear 18:1 - Nickel
StringsD'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound, Medium (.011 - .049)

Upper Bout Width12 1/2" (318mm)
Lower Bout Width17" (432mm)
Body Depth3" (76mm)
Body Length21" (533mm)
Overall Length42" (1067mm)

$1,499 Street • $2,100 MSRP

Ralf

Last edited:

X-170AB

Reaction score
Its the 'X-350 that never was', but looks appealing!

Glad they went for the ebony fretboard (but would have liked the longer 25.5" scale). Switching scheme sounds sensible. Should make it a blast to get your T-Bone (or Rockabilly) on!

I wonder if they will offer more colors later - Natural would be nice.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was explained by Fender's Mike Lewis (who was in charge at that time for the line) already back in 2013 that Guild did not intend to correct copy vintage instruments for the Newark St. collection but to offer a modern version of them. So this is CMG's 2020 version of a X-350 (or X-375). Nothing short of what other manufacturers do in re-releasing new versions of old designs.

By the way, even Guitar Center offers it now! https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/X-350-Stratford-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Ralf

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score

Glad they went for the ebony fretboard (but would have liked the longer 25.5" scale). Switching scheme sounds sensible. Should make it a blast to get your T-Bone (or Rockabilly) on!

Me too, 25.5 scale, Ebony board. maybe a touch less thick.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wonder if it would look better with back pu covers?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
. Switching scheme sounds sensible. Should make it a blast to get your T-Bone (or Rockabilly) on!

Re: T-Bone : On a Gibson ES-5 like he played, the lead pickup was wired out of phase, and that's a big part of the sound of those guitars - with the three pickups on full, you get an interesting mix of in- and out of phase pickups.

Agreed about the colors, this guitar and the new X175 in "metallic smurf" - natural or sunburst would be nice. I'm not a fan of the Brian-Setzer-alike metallic car colors on guitars like these.

Reaction score
I am very interested in this or the Manhattan special. I am not sure about the Ps versus the DeArmonds.

Does anyone have an opinion on the build and finish quality? Are the pots and the parts decent or are they cheap pot metal and low grade? I have owned 5 Guilds over the years including an X-500 and an X175 so I have a reference. I would hope to get an opportunity to play one before buying but may need to depend on reviews and order one.

I like the Blue X-175 as well (maybe better).

Longnose Gar

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 1999 FMIC X-170 and a 2017 NS X-175B. I'd say the build quality on the X-170 is superior. It's heavier wood, better tuners, better pots. The X-175 plays and sounds great, but the volume pots go from zero to full around 7.

Reaction score
I played both of the new models at NAMM…..cant decide which one I like better. I am leaning toward the Red 350.

They were bother very well made and played well. I didn't like the matt blue finish as much as the shinny red one. They are nice guitars. A birdy told me that they may.. (might or might not), eventually come in a cornucopia of colors - of which some looked amazing - allegedly.

I also like the D'Angelo's that were in a similar price point.

dhdfoster

Reaction score
Even after seeing the video and all the pictures, I still can’t tell if the red is a metallic color, or not. I like red with no metalflake in it.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I played both of the new models at NAMM…..cant decide which one I like better. I am leaning toward the Red 350.

They were bother very well made and played well. I didn't like the matt blue finish as much as the shinny red one. They are nice guitars. A birdy told me that they may.. (might or might not), eventually come in a cornucopia of colors - of which some looked amazing - allegedly.

I also like the D'Angelo's that were in a similar price point.

I think you meant D'Angelico? :stung:

matsickma

Reaction score
One of the things I really like about the NS X350 is the simplified pickup switching system. Years back I had a beautiful Blond Maple top X350. Their was speculation that the maple top may not have been original. Anyway it was a beautiful guitar. Problem was... I couldn't bond with the Epi 6-button pickup selection switch. I didn't mind the buttons as much as the muted tone. It was suggested that their were different RC values attached to the switches and that tended to roll off a lot if tone. I actually don't know if the switches did have RC filters attached but it was probably around 2000 and the $1800 I paid for the guitar didn't justify not enjoying the guitar. So with the NS simplified switching and vol/tone layout you should get some pretty clean tone out of those pickups.
M

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
matsickma said:
Years back I had a beautiful Blond Maple top X350. Their was speculation that the maple top may not have been original. Anyway it was a beautiful guitar.

Not really relevant in this thread, but as I remember it was not a matter of 'speculation' re. the top not being original. It was a completely rebuilt guitar that was put together with a body and neck from different periods, a complete refinish and much later hardware. Good looking guitar nevertheless!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

So you remember that guitar! I guess proper notation is X375. It did have the word "custom" inscribed on one of the upper fret block markers that was a clue to you about the guitar. If I recall Guild used the word "special" in lieu of "custom".

I didn't realize you were sure about the top of guitar being replaced nor did I recall the guitar had a substituted neck. Thank goodness you keep good records! I have not maintained my sell data base. I knew the tuners were replaced!!

Tnx,
M