Winter NAMM 2020: X-350 Stratford in Scarlet Red

Longnose Gar

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any reason to believe this new X-350 will sound meaningfully different from my NS X-175B? It sounds brighter to me in the video, but that could be EQ?

matsickma

Reaction score
Is the new X350 a mahagony top?
I certainly like the red color and extra binding but given the discounted prices on the X175 market if you have a one I wouldn't run out for a X350. With the blond model you got the Guildsby so for the price of a pickup and a little wiring modifications you can get the middle pickup added easily without compromising the standard dual pickup tone.
I don't think giving up the Bridge pickup independent tone control is a big deal. Actually probably only the neck and / or middle pickup would need tone control.

M

parker_knoll

Reaction score
having played with three pickup setups all my life i decided it's unnecessary unless you do something totally different with it and wire it independently

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The thought of making a substitute switchplate with three toggles comes to mind.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just ordered some binding from StewMac and didn't think to order the pg material too. Sheesh.

Longnose Gar

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I'm a newbie here and appreciate the responses. I love my NS X-175B, archtops in general, and I don't have a red guitar, so this X-350 is burning a hole in my pocket. I'm a hobbyist player who just plays acoustic/electric duo sessions with my friend in my home studio. The advantage of this is that I get to play 10+ different guitars in a night, and I don't have to worry about offending anyone with my bad playing. While I love the idea of owning vintage guitars, I like the playability and consistent neck specks on my stable of modern era Guilds. I also have a 1999 FMIC X-170 with Fender humbuckers and flatwounds. My NS X-175B is strung with D'Addario nickle plated. Question (finally), is whether I can play with different strings across these 3 archtops to get the widest range of tones? What strings to people like for these modern Guild P90's? My style ranges from acoustic folk to jazz pop to classic rock. I like to use 0.011 gauge on all my electrics....

dbirchett

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Harmony H76. It had three DeArmond pickups with a separate on and off switch for each. Still seems to make the most sense to me.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I'm a newbie here and appreciate the responses. I love my NS X-175B, archtops in general, and I don't have a red guitar, so this X-350 is burning a hole in my pocket. I'm a hobbyist player who just plays acoustic/electric duo sessions with my friend in my home studio. The advantage of this is that I get to play 10+ different guitars in a night, and I don't have to worry about offending anyone with my bad playing. While I love the idea of owning vintage guitars, I like the playability and consistent neck specks on my stable of modern era Guilds. I also have a 1999 FMIC X-170 with Fender humbuckers and flatwounds. My NS X-175B is strung with D'Addario nickle plated. Question (finally), is whether I can play with different strings across these 3 archtops to get the widest range of tones? What strings to people like for these modern Guild P90's? My style ranges from acoustic folk to jazz pop to classic rock. I like to use 0.011 gauge on all my electrics....

I prefer pure nickel wound strings on my NS X-175B (Ernie Ball Pure Nickles presently). I may try a set of GHS Pure Nickel Rocker Roller Wounds next string change.

DrumBob

Reaction score
The guitar looks incredible in red. It's such a nice change from the usual boring sunburst, black and natural finishes you see on guitars like this. It sounds very versatile as well. I'd be interested to see what kind of deal I could get on one.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweetwater got them now in store:

KSG1903123-front-large.jpg

Guitar Center as well:

Ralf

Last edited: