Starfire I: Why pay more?

DeArmond Hammer

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The new Starfire I models resemble existing, higher-numbered Starfires, but the prices are lower. Is Guild just right-pricing the Starfire line, or are there significant differences that justify higher prices for the older Starfire models?

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m not sure, to be honest. I’m assuming that they will be made in a cheaper factory in China or something. Interesting, nonetheless.

DeArmond Hammer

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Aren't all the Newark St. Starfires built overseas? As Clayton said, maybe it's a different factory.

I can understand that Guild wants to compete against Epiphone 335s and Gretsch Streamliners. Keeping the Starfire name for the lower line, though, begs the question of what differentiates it from the higher lines.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The new Starfire I models resemble existing, higher-numbered Starfires, but the prices are lower. Is Guild just right-pricing the Starfire line, or are there significant differences that justify higher prices for the older Starfire models?

We don't know for sure, but Ralf is on the case.

I think the name is atrocious, but we'll see how the guitars fare. For that price I may have to get one to review.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Aren't all the Newark St. Starfires built overseas?
"Yes", but not sure exactly which ones are built where.
As Clayton said, maybe it's a different factory.
As GAD said, "Ralf's on it":
Part 1:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199553-Where-are-Newark-Street-Guilds-made
Part 2:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?200720-NAMM-2020-New-models
Not sure if he explicitly means "Only those three chambered "Aristocrats" (and the Jetstar) are made at Yako in China." in post #51 of that thread or if it was in the context of that thread, but he's usually very precise and I think he means only those models are made at Yako.
BUt hopefully he'll be along to confirm or correct me.
:smile:
I can understand that Guild wants to compete against Epiphone 335s and Gretsch Streamliners. Keeping the Starfire name for the lower line, though, begs the question of what differentiates it from the higher lines.
And that's why we're here!
:smile:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So far, the big difference I’m noticing between the SF IV ST and the similar SF I series guitar is the wood. The older imports have transparent top finishes on fingered maple laminates. These new, lower priced, models have solid color over who knows what type of wood. I couldn’t find a spec sheet on the new ones.
I’m sure there are other cost savings.