X-500 problem

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I bought it from you, so I don’t expect any corrosion occurred in the GAD Lab!

Oh oh!

You never know what kind of toxic fumes are spilling about my lair. It does tend to be very dry, though. Still, with decades of previous ownership who knows?

I will agree about older HB1s going microphonic, and I also agree about wax potting sometimes being a severe solution. Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it! Rogue noises suck.

I once had a SFIII-90 that had a resonant buzz that I simply could not find. I finally gave up and gave it to a locally renowned luthier (an actual luthier!) who fixed it up. It wouldn't surprise me on that SFIII if he just gooped one of the harness tie-downs, but man did it drive me crazy.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think the problem has been solved. I took the neck PU out; and indeed, the screws holding the bobbin to the baseplate were loose. I put it all back together, installed new strings, and, so far, no reappearance of the transient distortion. Yay!
Thanks to everyone who pitched in with a suggestion. I don’t think I would have thought of the bobbin screws; thanks for that one DTC.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
553.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would have thought loose screws rattle would also show up when it was not plugged in. Unless it needs an amp with elevated volume to vibrate the top enough to make it happen.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
John, that’s what I would have thought, too. They weren’t real loose, just enough to cause some sort of internal vibration on a certain note. Very strange; but, thanks to the LTG team, an easy fix. Plus, while the strings were off, I took the opportunity to clean and polish it. It looks fabulous. I’ll try and get a decent picture to post tomorrow.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Using GAD's fancy new image getter, here's the culprit. Just an iPhone photo; it doesn't do the incredible finish justice.
IMG_4660.jpg