How do value my Guild F30-NT HR?

marius

Reaction score
So I found this: http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/f30.html and this http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/specs/f30.html

Is this generic information for the F30? Can I rely on the specs?

It is a bit generic because the F30 varied quite a bit over the years but those specs are probably pretty spot on for your guitar.

Yes, mine is a HR as well.

As to your question about value, I can tell you I bought mine for $600 then put $475 into a neck reset, bridge re-glue, and bone saddle. With that in mind I think I overspent but not by a lot. If I were to sell it I’d probably expect to get $800-$900.

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
Holly, if you can't bear to keep this guitar, you might consider selling it on (perhaps via the For Sale section of this forum), & replacing it with another Guild.

A slightly larger Guild model that might have a pleasant tone for you, and yet is still comfortable to hold compared to a dread or a jumbo, is the F-47. It came in a variety of body woods (mahogany, rosewood, even a special version in koa).

One example of that model (with mahogany back/sides, & a cutaway) is listed for sale here:

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...lent-condition-plus-many-more-guild-acoustics!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ha! I didn't even know about the date stamp. It was made May 4 1998. Thanks guys!
Well technically, that was the date the "rim" (sides) was completed.
Actual completion could lag a couple of weeks to couple of months after that, depending on demand and maybe a couple of other factors, but for sure it can't possibly be any older than that and I take the liberty of calling it the "born on date" of my own D25.

HollyLLL

Reaction score
Well technically, that was the date the "rim" (sides) was completed.
Actual completion could lag a couple of weeks to couple of months after that, depending on demand and maybe a couple of other factors, but for sure it can't possibly be any older than that and I take the liberty of calling it the "born on date" of my own D25.

I learn something new every time I come on this forum! Thanks!

How do repairs and modifications/additions affect value? The binding was repaired by splicing. The guy did a clean job but you can still see where the splicing is. There was also a Fishman pickup installed. Hurt or help?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score

How do repairs and modifications/additions affect value? The binding was repaired by splicing. The guy did a clean job but you can still see where the splicing is. There was also a Fishman pickup installed. Hurt or help?

Depends on the repairs and in your case, IMHO, your spliced binding is a very small hiccup and added Fishman pickup might be a positive for some folks - certainly, not a negative for me.
Sound and playability are two Trump cards and the good looks gets your attention. Kinda reminded me of a couple first dates--looks got my attention so I asked and when I was with them a short time, looks was pushed to back burner and personality moved to front burner.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"De Nada"
:smile:

Like Stuball said much depends on quality of repair/"upgrade" but there's also the fact that you're not really hurting the "originality" of a high dollar collectible.
I'd consider the binding repair a "plus". It preserves the structural integrity, prevents further damage and it's "clean".
An appraiser might deduct for it but not much, I'd guess.
With the Fishman, it would depend on how a given buyer views the fact that the saddle/bridge had to have a hole drilled for the UST's lead, and I assume the endblock was drilled for installation of an "endpin jack".
I think most would consider it an added value.
But like a lot of things there's an "appraised value" and the "auction value" and they're not always directly correlated.
There's something out there called the Blue Book for Vintage guitars which does the same thing as Kelly: track reported selling prices to give a current value range.
I think you'd be ok going by the figures they show for stock F30HR's.
And note that "HR" finish was actually an "economy finish", the standard high-gloss NCL finishes carried about $200.00 "upcharge" when it was optional for a model.
See the F4ce's and the A25's on '96 price list for example (the only one readily available close to the year yours was made, don't worry that F30's aren't on it, it was an on again/off again model in the '90's):
https://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Guild-1996-09-Price-List.pdf
BTW that A25 was actually the "stand-in" for the F30 at the time, it had almost identical dimensions but fizzled for some reason.
And be aware that besides a devoted owner following here, the F30 model itself has a long and celebrated history: it was a darling of the folk players in the '60's, being played by luminaries as diverse as Paul Simon and Mississippi John Hurt.
Paul Simon actually approached Guild to build him a special rosewood bodied version in '67 which became a production model, the F30R.
And for a while only 3 or 4 years ago their values were spiking a bit as good condition examples were getting hard to find and new production volume was pretty small and even nil (in fact there are still no US-built F30's being made right now.)
So you never know where yours may go in future.
I honestly think if you really love the sound and playability you should keep it.
There're more than a few members here who bemoan "the one they let go" when they didn't really need to.
Then spend years trying to find a replacement.
Regarding the "negative emotional attachment", I'm reminded of the time a GF simply didn't come home for 3 days and left her dog behind to boot.
I wasn't too worried as I was pretty sure she was out on a bender with a former boyfriend, but I couldn't take it out on the poor doggy, could I, especially since we were already buddies? (insert "friendly wink" emoticon here)
I did realize I needed to get smarter about my choices of partners, though.
:biggrin-new:
In your case, maybe knowing a little about just how special the model is will help.
"Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"
:friendly_wink:
PS I just had to laugh out loud at this:
I don't think the neck is chunky. I have small hands and it feels just right in my hand. The body size is definitely smaller too, as it also fits just right and doesn't squish my boobs like a standard size or jumbo.
First time I ever saw that being mentioned as an element of playing comfort!
:glee:

Last edited:

HollyLLL

Reaction score
"De Nada"
:smile:

I honestly think if you really love the sound and playability you should keep it.
There're more than a few members here who bemoan "the one they let go" when they didn't really need to.
Then spend years trying to find a replacement.
Regarding the "negative emotional attachment", I'm reminded of the time a GF simply didn't come home for 3 days and left her dog behind to boot.
I wasn't too worried as I was pretty sure she was out on a bender with a former boyfriend, but I couldn't take it out on the poor doggy, could I, especially since we were already buddies? (insert "friendly wink" emoticon here)
I did realize I needed to get smarter about my choices of partners, though.
In your case, maybe knowing a little about just how special the model is will help.
"Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"
PS I just had to laugh out loud at this:

I don't think the neck is chunky. I have small hands and it feels just right in my hand. The body size is definitely smaller too, as it also fits just right and doesn't squish my boobs like a standard size or jumbo.

It just isn't comfy to have the guitar smashing the bits, ya know? HAHA! This size allows for the body to be a sort of shelf if we're speaking freely here. Plop it on and strum...ahem...lol.

You have definitely made me seriously reconsider selling it. I mean, I could really use the funds but I've never played or heard one quite like it. It does have a special sound and fits just right. It's the Goldylocks of guitars. Plus, it's also been super interesting trying to research it. By training, research is what I do but it seemed so foreign when trying to find out more about my beauty. I really appreciate this forum. I wish there was a consistent record but like I said, the poking about and diving down different rabbit holes to find info is fun if not also frustrating. *sigh* Maybe I'll open the case and giver a strum...

marius

Reaction score

It just isn't comfy to have the guitar smashing the bits, ya know? HAHA!

On that topic, St. Vincnet (aka Annie Clark) worked with Ernie Ball a couple of years back to design an electric guitar for women and one of the areas of consideration was chest comfort.
https://www.sweetguitartones.com/guitars-for-women-with-review-of-the-st-vincent-guitar/

Incidentally...she also plays a '55 Aristocrat
9195f131-74a0-46c5-9c57-d52dea0f139e.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It just isn't comfy to have the guitar smashing the bits, ya know? HAHA! This size allows for the body to be a sort of shelf if we're speaking freely here. Plop it on and strum...ahem...lol.

From an ergonomic perspective Mrs. Fro. prefers her F-30 and says it is the most comfortable guitar she has ever played. Probably her favorite sound as well but since she accompanies in church a lot, the volume of her D25-12 is more important than the pure sound of the F30. Standing up and adjusting the strap tends to solve some problems :)

I'll add to the chorus. If you like the guitar you will eventually get over the emotional baggage if you keep it. If you get rid of it then you will eventually lose the emotional baggage and then have to find a replacement.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You have definitely made me seriously reconsider selling it.
Well, when I first signed up I noticed there seemed to be a unifying philosophy that we want to see all the strays brought home and given nice places to live, and don't want to see any of 'em turned out into a cruel world where who knows what'll happen to 'em?
It's still alive, as exemplified by Guildedagain's thread here, about his own vintage F30:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/s...The-Mystery-Guild-prepare-for-the-weird/page7

Maybe I'll open the case and giver a strum...
That's made a lot of folks here change their minds.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd seen the HR finish outside of the DV and JV and GV series! I have that finish on my DV52, and I really like it. It's a hand rubbed waxy finish.

Forum member hideglue who used to work at Guild gave an informative answer about the HR finish. You can find it at this thread:

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...etween-regular-and-hand-rubbed-satin-finishes
Had to revisit it twice myself, post #16.
STILL not absolutely sure if "Satin " didn't actually have poly topcoat starting around '98, primarily based on 2 reports of satin finished instruments on which pickguards were easily removed and replaced, when Guild normally finished over the 'guards. (Guild finished over their pickguards and even glued 'em to the finished tops with the lacquer, on HG models at least, so removing those was very difficult)
I realize now that might simply have been because the 'guards on Satin finish models were simply installed at a point beyond which no further finishing was performed.
There's also that new member last year who insisted his D4 Satin had a poly finish which I doubted at the time but for which I thought I found corroboration only a couple of months later.
(For Holly: For all the stuff I can easily find verification of, let me be clear that in this case I really don't know. There's so much to the fabrication process that's probably only known to our guru Hans Moust and some of those guys who actually worked at Westerly, and which may never be known without actual input from them.
In Hans' case he may well want to reserve some of that info for the 2nd volume of "the Guild Guitar Book")
For sure I've got a memory of Hideglue once stating that the HR was an NCL-based gel but can't find it just now.
And my memory's been proven to be just flat-out erroneous sometimes, and more often lately.
And the "waxy" element could very well be an element of the gelling agent, doesn't contradict a nitrocellulose "base".
Another tell is that if the "satin" was in fact poly one wouldn't expect it to "buff up" from contact as you already know the "HR" does.

Last edited:

HollyLLL

Reaction score
On that topic, St. Vincnet (aka Annie Clark) worked with Ernie Ball a couple of years back to design an electric guitar for women and one of the areas of consideration was chest comfort.
https://www.sweetguitartones.com/guitars-for-women-with-review-of-the-st-vincent-guitar/

That was a pretty cool article! I thought the Gretchen the article referred to at first was Gretchen Menn, the guitarist in the all female Led Zeppelin cover band, Zepparella. She mostly sticks to her electrics and plays down low.

I'll add to the chorus. If you like the guitar you will eventually get over the emotional baggage if you keep it. If you get rid of it then you will eventually lose the emotional baggage and then have to find a replacement.

You speak wisdom. I have heard this quite a bit over the last week... I think I keep researching and hold off on listing for now. This Guild really does have the sweetest sound.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holly, the guitar is a THING that you use to make music and make you and others happy. Where it came from is not important. What you gain from it and what you can do with it, IS important. It's kinda like a lesson.... you know? You were an *****LE but from my experience with you.... I gained THIS amazing guitar!! I hope if you like it you can keep it and if not.... sell it and move on. It's your call...... <3

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can't really add to the excellent comments so far. I will say two things: I love the comfort of my '11 F-30, and yours is also very very nice!

walrus

midnightright

Reaction score
I have owned two late 90’s F-30’s: one mahogany; & one rosewood (F-30R). Both had the ‘HG’—or high gloss finish. I have never seen one of these models advertised with the ‘HR’ finish. I should also note that I don’t see a whole lot of these models from this time period (my personal favorite era: the 90’s).

So, if it truly does have “the sweetest sound,” that may be one thing to think about. Should you sell—& then have regrets, it may or may not be easy to replace.

Back to my experiences, one was just about the best sounding guitar I’ve ever owned (the shop manager of the acoustic department described it as reminding him of, “nice, old aged wood, quite similar to a Martin 000-18.”).

Albeit, that one would run you a few more dollars. I agreed, someone played it lovingly over the years, and the only reason I didn’t bond with it, I think, is that I could never get it out of my head that this was someone else’s guitar (& that’s never happened to me before!).

The other, the F-30R, was one of the worst sounding guitars I’ve ever owned. The shop owner—who was luthier & Guild dealer by trade—explained to me that it had dried out & had some braces come loose. But that, miraculously in his eyes, “didn’t crack!” So, he reglued those & what impact that had on it tone wise, I’ll never know... Nonetheless, it was an ingredient.

Also interesting to point out: one had a very Martinesque modified low oval feel to it (quite shallow, almost Taylor or electric like); & the other had a baseball bat type feel, that caused my capo to fly off at around the fourth or fifth fret!

I can relate to the difficulty of it reminding you of a negative feeling. I had the same thing happen with a girl about ten years ago who inspired me to get back into playing after about a three year break (I’d had no guitars, period at that point).

So I found a nice early 70’s D-25, with the all red finish—like Tom Petty’s 12 string—that was an all solid mahogany that I knew nothing about. It did not have the archback that you seem to see with more frequency. There was a vintage feel & vibe & as well as tone that I’ve never experienced before, or since.

But I got rid of it after we fell out & haven’t had a sniff at an example close to that again. If I could go back and redo it, I’d have waited a little bit for some time to pass, and then seen if I’d have been able to get along with it without thinking of her.

Anyway....

Good Luck!!!