Guild Liberator Elite

Reaction score
I'd like to sell my Liberator Elite (JK000143, flame sunburst finish). Original owner since 1988. Bought it and put it in a closet until 2014. Excellent + condition. I know it's a rare guitar and thought I'd let the Guild enthusiasts have first crack at it. Just joined the site an hour ago and don't know how to post photos. If you are interested, let me know and I'll provide email address and photos from there.

Reaction score
Liberator Elite for sale

Just joined the site and having some trouble figuring out the posting process. Apologies if this post is redundant.

I have a flame sunburst Liberator Elite in original excellent + condition. Will sell with a vintage tolex case which I think is older than the guitar.

I bought the guitar in 1988 and it sat in a closet until 2014. Played it a few times since then but never gigged. I don't know how to value this rare instrument and will consider reasonable offers. I'm hoping it might make a nice addition to someone's Guild collection.

I will provide an email address to interested parties to provide photos.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sure, move the post to a location where I could get some feedback on the valuation. In the meantime, I'll try to get the photos posted.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd love photos. Feel free to email them to me if you can't figure out how to post.

As for posting pics, I think that might be because you were still a moderated user and thus not allowed. I may need to rethink that.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Value wise, that's a tough one. They're certainly rare, but they're also a bit odd. In 10 years of hunting for Guilds I've only ever seen one for sale and I bought it, and I can tell you that I bought it for $1000. https://reverb.com/item/392798-guild-liberator-elite-1988-flam

Actually thinking about it there were two. I bought that one but it fell through and I don't recall why. Mine was bought here on the forum but the price was similar.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
As for posting pics, I think that might be because you were still a moderated user and thus not allowed. I may need to rethink that.

<veer>It used to be that new posters who included pictures in their first post were held in high esteem because it was a clear message that they understood the community they were joining. As long as the process of cleaning up spam and banning spammers deletes attachments/photos I'd say allow it. If the clean up is messy then perhaps a maintenance script that deletes attachments/photos with no owner or a banned owner? </veer>

Reaction score
Liberator Elite Pics

fullsizeoutput_a8.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0554.jpgIMG_0540.jpg

Thank you GAD and Fronobulax for helping me manage through the site as a new member. It's nice to see members committed to making the experience a good one for all involved.

I have tried to post the photos but as of this point I can't see them, only the attachment designation. Hopefully, they'll appear after I submit reply.

GAD, I believe you are the person that wrote the extensive review on the Liberator a few years ago. I really enjoyed reading your insights. Your valuation is likely a good one as well, though I think it is reflective of the value of the guitar as an instrument, not as a collectible rarity. That said, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that could be more or less than $1000. I think of the value in terms of what I could get for $1000 on Sweetwater or at Guitar Center. There are plenty of options to choose from but none would be comparable to the Liberator Elite (quality of construction or as an art piece). However, I don't play it for a reason. It's impractical to have the locking bar at the nut. Breaking a string means you'd better have an Allen wrench handy and a spare guitar on the rack if you are performing. Otherwise, it's a fine guitar and extremely versatile.

My goal is to get $2500 or a trade of a Gretsch Falcon or similar guitar in excellent condition. I'm not familiar enough to know whether there is a Guild that compares to the Falcon, but if there is and someone would like to make a trade, I'd consider it. If I'm totally off base, I'll just put it back in the display cabinet and look at it from time to time.

other guitars

Gibson ES-335
Ron Kirn Customized Telecaster
Fender Squire Les Paul copy
Taylor 816CE
Ovation Deluxe Balladeer (#A222, made in 1968)

Best regards.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's some great flame on that guitar! That's a beautiful example and with what looks like a real Guild case, too!

Value is a tough thing to nail down, and I encourage you to get all you can for it. The problem is that "rare" doesn't mean "desirable", and while Liberator Elites are certainly rare and I've seen people ooh and ahh over them, like almost every Guild from the '80s, they just don't command big prices. That said, I'm always eager to be proven wrong in such matters, so here's what I generally recommend:

If you want to see what the market will bear, put it on ebay with a $0.01 starting bid and a high reserve.
If you want to see if people will buy at your price, put it on Reverb at that price and see what happens.

If you want to sell it, put it on Reverb or Ebay and accept offers, but be prepared for the low-ballers to come out in force. It might take a while to sell, but you never know if there's someone out there who had one in their youth and will do anything to get another.

FWIW I absolutely hope you get what you want for it because that means I can ask more for mine if I ever sell it. :very_drunk:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Your valuation is likely a good one as well, though I think it is reflective of the value of the guitar as an instrument, not as a collectible rarity.

I can see the pictures and you are welcome.

A feature of the Guild market is that there are not many collectors whose collections are focused around rarity. I have seen a lot of "one of a kind" Guilds sell for about the price of a regular production instrument. When I see a high price paid for a Guild it is usually because of cosmetics and/or condition. An acoustic that has gorgeous rosewood that might be Brazilian. A Bluesbird with an outstanding flamed maple top. A Starfire bass that has been in a case in the original owner's studio for 50+ years. But it's worth more because they only made 100, not so much.

That said you are to be commended for your wisdom in understanding what you want, what you ask and what you get might be three different numbers. GAD's advice seems sound and I would add that you should continue the discussion here and post it as FS when you have a number. I don't know how many knowledgeable Guild collectors there really are but I do know that some of them are active here.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love the flame on that top! Wow! Good luck with the sale!

walrus