Looking to buy my first Guild guitar

Reaction score
Hi All, this website has a great reputation for giving “sound” advice. It is my New Years resolution to buy my first Guild guitar. I have tried a couple (both made in USA) and fallen deeply in love with the sound and the playability of them.
I am based in the UK and reckon my standard of playing as “basic campfire strummer” and my means are limited, and therefore trying to pick one up as cheaply as possible, a few dings and scratches would not worry me.
So basically what I am asking you guys and gals is what to look out for. Also I gather from reading other posts that the US built ones have a higher regard, but having never played a Chinese one, how much is the difference?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Ming, and welcome! It's hard to go wrong with a '70's D25 in terms of tone and projection, and it won't cost you dearly.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Nice to know that LTG has a good reputation.

I think the consensus is that Made in China Guilds are good but Made in USA are better. Most of that is because they were targeted at different price points when new and this is a case where you do get more if you spend more. That said, the choice has a lot to do with price and budget. At the low end you pretty much don't have anything but MIC and the high end has MIA. The middle, where you are looking at new MIC and used/vintage MIA for similar prices really depends upon you. Do you want a warranty? Do you mind the scratches and dings? Did you get a chance to play it and it spoke to you? There are not many complaints about MIC Guilds that I recall, but I do remember many folks deciding they wanted to upgrade and buy a MIA because of their positive experience with the MIC. Bottom line for me would be to focus on price since your budget may eliminate one country of origin or the other.

There is lots of advice about buying a used guitar and folks will be along to give it. They key one is to understand how to assess the action and neck angle because those may be signs the instrument needs a neck reset - a relatively expensive repair in the USA.

Many people fall in love with their first good instrument and never feel the need to upgrade. Others grow in skill to the point that they can identify improvements they think they want so they are buying an upgrade in a couple of years anyway. So you might be looking in a couple of years :)

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. Lot's of good folks around here and lot's good info about guitars and Guild guitars, in particular. Frono did a nice job of breaking down the MIC vs Made in USA differences. And offered some great advice on checking out used guitars:

There is lots of advice about buying a used guitar and folks will be along to give it. They key one is to understand how to assess the action and neck angle because those may be signs the instrument needs a neck reset - a relatively expensive repair in the USA.

Here's a good article about how to assess action and neck angle:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Good luck with your adventure of buying your first Guild!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...It is my New Years resolution to buy my first Guild guitar.

That is a really good idea! :tiger: Welcome to the boards, Ming!

I am based in the UK and reckon my standard of playing as “basic campfire strummer” and my means are limited... a few dings and scratches would not worry me....

Sounds like you should be on the hunt for a used Guild built in the U.S., which means, chronologically, built in New York, Hoboken, Westerly, Corona, Tacoma, New Hartford, or Oxnard. Since your funds are limited, you might have to scour the web for a really good deal, which may not happen immediately, but they do come along.

Or you can pick up, post haste, a brand new Guild made in China for a ridiculously low price. AFAIK, these are fine guitars and may suit your campfire strumming needs just fine. I'd have to say though that those made in the U.S. typically sound better.

Not sure what size/model you're looking for. I guess "campfire strummin" means a smaller guitar (?) but I sure love my jumbos. :listening_headphone I don't know what your budget is, but I got a great deal on this near mint condition Corona-built beauty of a 12-string at less than $900...

jib797.jpg

"What to look out for," when buying used:

Ah, sailingshoes beat me to it. Anyway....

How easy is it to play? This is well correlated with the string height from the 12th fret, which should be close to a specific number (which I forget, but you can look up).

And then How much saddle is there and how is the neck angle? You'd prefer the saddle isn't real low. The neck angle is tested by laying a ruler along the fretboard, and sliding it toward the bridge. If the ruler hits right at the top front of the bridge, the neck angle is good. The more the ruler hits below the top of the bridge, the more likely a neck reset will be needed (which, as Frono mentioned, is one of the more expensive repair jobs).

If you're buying used online, you should contact the seller and ask those types of questions.

And keep us updated!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Excellent idea! I would recommend being patient so you can (hopefully) try the guitar before you buy it, particularly if funds are an issue. I assume you have some music shops around you? See what they hve that you can try.

As has been said, lots of options with size, condition, year, price, etc., etc.

walrus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for such good advice. I will take my time. I propose to visit a music shop sometime soon (bit of a slog as there are none close) and try out a MIC.
I will also continue to trawl the usual websites for a MIA which is my preferred option- although that could change.
As far as size is concerned I am happy to contemplate any and that also goes fo the number of strings!
I will keep you all updated:)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Ming, and welcome! It's hard to go wrong with a '70's D25 in terms of tone and projection, and it won't cost you dearly.

Amen.

Most unsung heroes on the planet in terms of what you get for your money.

Hold out for a budget D25, D35, F30, F112, they happen. $400 on up, some crazy deals on some great old Guild guitars.

Caveat Emptor.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Plus one more for holding out for a well-priced D-25.. They are a true value guitar and can be found in good condition for under $800 quite often..
Welcome to LTG Ming!! As you are seeing this is a great guitar community!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hold out for a budget D25, D35, F30, F112, they happen. $400 on up, some crazy deals on some great old Guild guitars.

To be truly helpful, let us remember that the OP is in the UK and the used and vintage market is significantly different from that in the USA. It may not be a $400 investment after it is purchased and shipped, even if it can be exported.

I suspect the most feasible advice would be to scratch the itch now with a MIC Guild an then trade up once a suitable MIA becomes available which could be a matter of years, not weeks.

IMO. YMMV.

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
A F4ce has come across my radar. I would love to know what you think as it is not a traditional Guild.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I would love to know what you think as it is not a traditional Guild.

Well, it's a U.S.-made Guild, but frankly, I'm not a fan of that model. But that's a subjective assessment. I like electronics, but I'm not fond of the look of cutaways.

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Hi All, this website has a great reputation for giving “sound” advice. It is my New Years resolution to buy my first Guild guitar. I have tried a couple (both made in USA) and fallen deeply in love with the sound and the playability of them.
I am based in the UK and reckon my standard of playing as “basic campfire strummer” and my means are limited, and therefore trying to pick one up as cheaply as possible, a few dings and scratches would not worry me.
So basically what I am asking you guys and gals is what to look out for. Also I gather from reading other posts that the US built ones have a higher regard, but having never played a Chinese one, how much is the difference?

If I'm hearing you right, you're a recreational player who cares more about the feel and sound of the instrument than the looks, and cost is a concern. Given those factors, I'd narrow the field down to what feels right to you. Do you want a big dreadnought for making big sounds, a parlor guitar that won't take up much room in the corner or on the wall and fits nicely in your lap on the couch . . . a concert body that splits the middle?

I own two Chinese Guilds, owing mostly to the intersection of budget and opportunity, and I've played a vintage USA guitar one time. My guitars are wonderful, and the American one was fantastic. So, if wonderful is good enough, definitely don't rule out the GAD models. If it fits your body and your situation, and it sounds good to your ear and feels good in your hands, who care's where it's from?

And welcome to the forum, fellow newbie. :biggrin:

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
To echo tails I have owned several GAD models over the years and they have all been stellar..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A made in USA F4ce has just honed into view. Not a traditional Guild, thoughts please.
It may not be a common model but I'd call it "traditional" in every sense of the word!:
The 16" lower bout F body was the second flattop Guild ever made, the F40, and I consider the whole "Fxxce" family to be derived from it, Guild even said so in their lit at one point:**
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/f4ce.html
Generically that outline is known as "GA" for "Grand Auditorium"
I personally love that outline for playing comfort, I have what some consider the ultimate evolution of that body in my F65ce.
At one point I was pretty sure that outline had yielded more models than any other Guild platform except dreadnoughts, but member Ralph/ SFIV1967 finally got an accurate count for dreadnoughts and they do outnumber the GA family.
Nonetheless it has provided more combinations of tonewoods in both arched and flatback styles, and neck scale lengths, than any other platform including dreadnoughts, for sure.
See the rest of Acoustic electrics on that site, down in lower right corner just for the stuff that was made from early '90's to '01:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars.html
The "Traditional Series" on that page are also GA bodies.
** Note that site is a private enterprise but the source material is from Guild catalogs.

Any F40's and F47's you may see are GA bodies.
Haven't commented until now because it's just such a wide-open range of possibilities, besides that issue of being in the UK with its particular market constraints, but I absolutely recommend you need to try that one out to see if it's what you're looking for.
I humbly suggest it'll blow the similar Taylors out of the water (and Guild was there first!), and the biggest gripe I have with Guild right now is that they don't actually offer the body anymore.
Heck you may decide you can't live with the 1-5/8 nut that was a universal spec on all of 'em, for example, and then you can cross 'em off the list.
But at least you'll know.
Oh, one other thing: Those are supposed to be strung with Extra lights (.010-.047) and might be able to handle .11's but traditional .12's might put a little too much tension on the top and actually cut down volume.
Try to take that into consideration when auditioning, people have a tendency to string 'em up with .12's because they don't know what they were designed for.
Also the extra lights were part of the formula to make those feel as close to an actual electric guitar as possible, meaning easier bends if you like that, for example.
:smile:
Oh yeah, "Welcome Aboard!" and good luck in the hunt!
If you like it and want tips on checking structural integrity, get back to us, but personally I'm off on weekends.
:smile:

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a D5CE, I'd describe it as a guitar of modest cost that can rival anything?

What you are looking at, an F4ce, is a [potentially] FANTASTIC guitar, if it looks anything like this you'd have to be a madman not to get one for a decent price, given yr locale, etc.

https://reverb.com/item/30720317-gu...n=7276534768&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Yep, there you go: strung with 12's which is probably why they say the action feels a little high. Too much tension, and that design (cutaway GA) is sensitive to it.

Last edited:

justforfun

Reaction score
I love my 79 D25. It is the least expensive of my Guilds, it is "snotless" (lots of cosmetic issues) and plays and sounds fantastic! Wouldn't part with it.