Gibbys at GC

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
*snicker*

If the source of the comment is a personal conversation we will probably never know why Ren said it and whether it was a comment about Gibson's business practices, GC's business practices, both or something else entirely.

Mark WW

Reaction score
This is directed at NO ONE but there is a thriving and healthy culture of Gibson bashing. Part of it may be because we expect at their price points for Gibson guitars to be beyond reproach. Heck I just bought a $169 guitar that is nicer than another brands (ahem Epi...) version that MAPs for $499. So the expectation bar has come down in regards to what we will accept on a new guitar. And if I was paying 12 to 14 times (for a real Gibson) what I paid for my Chinese cheapo my tolerance for discrepancies should be 12 to 14 times more critical. But having spent my life in manufacturing and sales management I understand the process. But if you sell yourself as a quality company then the product better be best quality. There should never be a need for a final inspection for any reason other than spot checks to make sure everyone is doing there job properly and we are human and that doesn't always happen.

Also there is the psychology of the negative press that affects our perception. We have come to "expect" defect in Gibson because we read about the defects so any little thing becomes an "aha" moment. Conditioning.

GC does a huge disfavor to all manufacturers by just hanging a guitar out to play without any kind of pre-check or set up. That is why I have come to the conclusion I might as well buy from someone with a good return policy on-line because why pay taxes and lose some of the discounts for a guitar that I will have to have set up anyway. I would rather be out of pocket $30 for my luthier to look over a new guitar and if he finds a problem which I am lousy at then back it goes or he finishes setting it up and I keep it. Plus no one around Orlando carries much in the way of good quality guitars to choose from.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I have bought a few Gibsons new, or used but MINT, and they all are flawlessly built. However, on the ones that were brand new, the frets were unpolished. I would'd expect a "perfect" setup on any guitar that has been shipped and handled a lot before buying it, but I DO expect the frets to be polished! I was pretty surprised. Since I do my own work anyway, easy to correct when restringing and doing a full setup, but really, I shouldn't have to. Gibson has made a lot of mistakes, but seem to be trying to correct things. QC should be at the top of their list. There is no reason for any top guitar company to put out anything less than perfect these days. Hopefully they will get back to that standard shortly, and remain there.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure you can find examples of new Taylors, Martins and yes Guilds at Guitar Center and elsewhere, that have certain details people find offensive. I'm just not sure what all this dialogue accomplishes. if you like Gibson (and I am one that does) then fine, and if you don't, well that's perfectly fine as well. It's a free country, last I checked. Probably doesn't accomplish a whole lot to beat it to death though. And on that note, I am personally done with this conversation.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Couldn't compare any new Guilds as GC didn't have any.

JF-30

Reaction score
IIRC, Ren Ferguson was quoted (sometime during his tenure with Guild) that if you wanted a good Gibson, don't expect to find it at GC.

Apparently better-quality guitars were shipped to other vendors.
I consider every guitar at GC used unless I see it unboxed in front of me. I don't care if its hanging on the hook and the serial number indicates its new. Every 16 year old that walks in there has abused it.

bobouz

Reaction score
Late to this party. A confirmed Gibson lover here, currently with Montana acoustics ranging from 2000 to 2015, as well as many electrics. Each carefully selected & wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Martin has recently had systemic problems with bindings popping loose at the waist, and instruments needing neck resets after a very short period of time. Pick your poison.

And honestly, how can you truly assess a company’s guitars without playing them?

Brucebubs

Reaction score
New 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst just ordered.
I'm the first to order one here in Australia.
ETA is 4 to 6 months.

Sorry guys, new Guild F-55 Maple was my 2nd choice.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
New 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst just ordered.
I'm the first to order one here in Australia.
ETA is 4 to 6 months.

Sorry guys, new Guild F-55 Maple was my 2nd choice.
Don't be sorry!! I, for one, can't wait to hear your impressions of what is surely going to be a super nice guitar and a very nice choice it is!! Guild makes amazing guitars. I'm a fan. But so do many other makers, big and small. I have a small number of guitars when compared to many on this forum. But you can see I've strayed from the Guild brand, and it wasn't because Guild wasn't a good maker, they just didn't offer what i was looking to buy at that time, and so I purchased other brands. They're all super nice guitars as well. Can't wait for that NGD, Brucebubs!! Good for you!! :encouragement:

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Don't be sorry!! I, for one, can't wait to hear your impressions of what is surely going to be a super nice guitar and a very nice choice it is!! Guild makes amazing guitars. I'm a fan. But so do many other makers, big and small. I have a small number of guitars when compared to many on this forum. But you can see I've strayed from the Guild brand, and it wasn't because Guild wasn't a good maker, they just didn't offer what i was looking to buy at that time, and so I purchased other brands. They're all super nice guitars as well. Can't wait for that NGD, Brucebubs!! Good for you!! :encouragement:

Thanks for that.
In 2016 Gibson did a very limited edition 1957 SJ-200, They got rave reviews but none came to Australia and US dealers are not permitted to sell outside USA, so I missed out.
Then I saw Gibson announced this new Custom Shop Historic Series at NAMM just last month .. and there it is again ... 1957 SJ-200.
Almost identical to the 2016 version - the 2016 had a 'Thermally Aged' Adirondack top, the 2020 is 'Thermally Aged' Sitka Spruce.
I contacted the Australian Gibson distributor to express my interest and 3 days ago they gave the OK to place an order with a dealer.
I've wanted one for about 40 years now so I can wait a few months more.

Here the new 2020; https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMT3131/1957-SJ-200/Vintage-Sunburst

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
New 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst just ordered....

Wow, Bruce, super major congratulations! That's one of those holy grail guitars right there! May it arrive ahead of schedule and in one piece!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Having started this thread, let me say that I sincerely hope you get a stellar guitar, Bruce! I'm also guessing that the custom shop models are going to have much more attention to detail than the standard production ones, and they are built in Nashville.

We saw one of the Gibson Custom Shop inlay guys making inlays of MOP and Abalone at the Sweetwater Music Expo last summer.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Thanks again guys.
In 2018 I bought a great used Epiphone EJ-200 - then I picked up a beautiful used Huss & Dalton MJ Custom.
The H&D cost exactly 10x more than the Epiphone.
This new Gibson is 30x.

You guys don't know how lucky you are - American guitars are considerably more expensive outside the USA.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
There are a couple guitars in the Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop Collection that have caught my eye... the 1942 Banner LG-2 and the 1942 Banner Southern Jumbo, both Vintage Sunburst. I would like to get a chance to play them both!

Congratulations on your 1957 SJ-200. It's one of the most iconic guitars of the Golden era of American guitar manufacturing. The singing cowboys of the old B&W movies like Gene Autry, Tex Ritter, Ray Whitley and Jimmy Wakely all played one at some time or another.

F312

Reaction score
Thanks again guys.
In 2018 I bought a great used Epiphone EJ-200 - then I picked up a beautiful used Huss & Dalton MJ Custom.
The H&D cost exactly 10x more than the Epiphone.
This new Gibson is 30x.

You guys don't know how lucky you are - American guitars are considerably more expensive outside the USA.

I think we all would like a full report on your beautiful new Gibson. Enjoy!

Brucebubs

Reaction score
A full report will be posted.
I just watched all the Gibson acoustic YouTube clips I could find from NAMM 2020 and was surprised to learn the pick-guards have been made from the original molds and the all the Historic Series hard cases are also going to be period correct.
The finishes are also very thin.
Looking forward to it I can tell you.

Bernie

Reaction score
I will be waitingfor this review with a genuine interest Bruce...

I tried a L-00 Studio two days ago : thought it was real nice and affordable, quite cheap even I'd say (for such an instrument from Gibson)...Didn't see anything wrong with the varnish or finish. All seemed quite perfect to me with a nice gloss, and well done). Only exception maybe (?), two little "knots" in the center of its back (two little black stains - about 10 mm long, and 3 mm wide at the largest for the biggest one.)...
Don't really know if that is an issue (one of the sellers said he even found it quite decorative), but it worried me a bit. Would it make the guitar more fragile, affect the sound, or what would luthiers say ?

What would you think ?

Note (edit); I used the word 'knot' to design these -usually- circular dark dots woods always have on some places, that fibres make...You might use other images in english ('knots' being a direct translation of the one used in mu own language); but I couldn't find any better translation, excuse me please :smile-new:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
the 2016 had a 'Thermally Aged' Adirondack top, the 2020 is 'Thermally Aged' Sitka Spruce.
I contacted the Australian Gibson distributor to express my interest and 3 days ago they gave the OK to place an order with a dealer.
I've wanted one for about 40 years now so I can wait a few months more.
Wouldn't the sitka be the way it was actually made in '57 anyway?
Because we've heard that adi had been overharvested during WWII and wasn't actually readily available at the time?
(PS I also applaud your dedication and knowing where to go to pull the strings to fulfill your dream)

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Wouldn't the sitka be the way it was actually made in '57 anyway?
Because we've heard that adi had been overharvested during WWII and wasn't actually readily available at the time?
(PS I also applaud your dedication and knowing where to go to pull the strings to fulfill your dream)

You are absolutely correct.
I've watched several YouTube clips of the Gibson acoustics on display at NAMM just last month and the rep mentions it in every clip that the tops are period correct on the new Historic Series.

I liked a comment he makes on one clip when he says he's been asked several times, "Where did Gibson find all these old guitars in such beautiful condition?"

As a footnote, my 91 y.o. mother passed away peacefully yesterday, she was not a very nice person but in some ways this guitar helps heal some old wounds.

geoguy

Reaction score
Congrats on the upcoming new guitar, and consolations on the loss of your mother. 91 years is a very fine run!