Oxnard M20 owners / previous owners

curbucci

Reaction score
What are/were your impressions after the guitar opened up? Still have the M20 or have you sold it.

Last edited:

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've had mine for a few years now. Still love it.

About 6 months ago I switched from the Elixir 80/20s I had been using on it since purchase to some D'addario Nickel Bronze Lights, and wow. Almost a brand new guitar. Not sure if it was a case of "ears getting bored" of the previous strings, but, these nickel bronzes really match up well with the M20 (to my ears, anyway). Now if only Elixir made a coated nickel bronze...

Last edited:

curbucci

Reaction score
Great to hear. Did the bass response improve better when your M20 opened up?

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes - it's certainly less "tight" sounding compared to when I got it about three years ago, although it's still not a boomer or anything, obviously.

These things are always subjective though, and incremental. The string change to NB's was a "wow" moment to me, totally opened up the tone.

curbucci

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I might be picking one up in a few weeks.

beecee

Reaction score
I've had mine for a few years now.

Sounds funny to be talking about Oxnard in "years".

But then again NH only had a 5 year run, The New Hartford Guild facility began production in early 2009,.....In the late spring/early summer of 2014, Fender's New Hartford Guild facility closed its doors. Oxnard has now run longer than Corona and just about as long as Tacoma. Good stuff.

Sorry for the veer!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds funny to be talking about Oxnard in "years".

But then again NH only had a 5 year run, The New Hartford Guild facility began production in early 2009,.....In the late spring/early summer of 2014, Fender's New Hartford Guild facility closed its doors. Oxnard has now run longer than Corona and just about as long as Tacoma. Good stuff.

Sorry for the veer!
I wouldn't even consider it a veer but possibly the fleshing out of information regarding Oxnard in relation to other respected factories. I do enjoy and respect the pace at which Oxnard is building it's acoustic line of guitars and your statement made me look and reflect on it's timeline and progress. I hope they keep building more and more types of Guild acoustics with a greater variety of finishes and options. I'm not sure if we'll ever see special runs of guitars commissioned by larger sellers (like Guitar Center) but that has more to do with the state of GC than of what Guild's Oxnard factory is capable! One thing I'd love to see is an updated version of the F65ce with a wider nut, current electronics, and possibly some of the old colors that we enjoyed in the past. I'd think they'd probably sell very well. Now I'm starting to dream and THAT is surely considered a veer!! :encouragement:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oxnard did do a special run of the D 40 T Deluxe for Sweetwater. I believe there were less than 15 of those made. (sorry, I guess this is actually a veer)

Last edited:

Gabby84

Reaction score
I've had mine about 18 months. Only change-put in bone bridge pins. Stuck with the 80/20s and have found this guitar has opened up and sounds great to my ears. My guitar instructor, who owns an old larrivee (which sounds amazing), has borrowed my guitar in our small group a few times and keeps commenting on the sound.

It has opened up and, without getting into the bridge pin debate, to my ears this also made a difference from the stock plastic bridge pins.

midnightright

Reaction score
I would probably own one if it had the 1 11/16” nut width. I know I’m in the minority these days with what the majority of buying public wants in terms of trends. But that would just make my life a whole lot easier. Unless they re-released the F-30 (not with the deep back and sides).

I was once told by a well respected Martin Dealer in inquiring about a new 000-15, that it is somewhat desirable for it to be “stiff” in the beginning (seeming to suggest better enhanced opportunities for opened up sound down the line).

I have no idea as to the validity of this, through personal experience. But he was much more knowledgeable than I, and I’ve also heard it said (this was in regards boutique guitars), that quite often folks sell them before they’ve had a chance to truly blossom.

midnightright

Reaction score
The Martin dealer also mentioned that the most drastic or notable change in sound will occur in the first handful of years (otherwise it is a very long, gradual process).

gilded

Reaction score
Mac, did anybody else who listened to your M20 after the string change notice the difference? Just curious.

Yes - it's certainly less "tight" sounding compared to when I got it about three years ago, although it's still not a boomer or anything, obviously.

These things are always subjective though, and incremental. The string change to NB's was a "wow" moment to me, totally opened up the tone.

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't "play out" so no one aside from my roommates would have heard, and let's just say they couldn't tell the difference between an m20 and a jumbo anyway... Lol.

I'd say give em a shot - of course it's subjective but sounded better to these ears. Low cost of admission to try!

Re: bridge pins that someone else mentioned - I didn't mention in my original post but I did put some bone ones in, however that was right at purchase so I can't speak to a change from that alone.

Re: custom runs from Oxnard, not a large run but someone commissioned a run of satin black m20s at one point : https://reverb.com/item/25347224-guild-m-20e-blk-black-1-of-4-made-2019

Reaction score
What are/were your impressions after the guitar opened up? Still have the M20 or have you sold it.

Mine arrived yesterday. I got it from a brother here on this forum in a straight up trade. He never played it. It's NEW.

I opened the box and case and took the dead original strings off. I installed John Pearse, PB 12-53 and started playing.

Impressions:
* Guitar got in tune and stayed there!
* Nice paying guitar -- no adjustments necessary
* Not wild about the gear ratio of tuners -- but, as stated, they tune hold well
* Sound as expected for a new, hog, small guitar
* Shocked at how well she handles a flat pick (I am primarily a fngerpicker).
* Great vocal accompaniment axe
* "B" note on low E kind of honky (mid overtones). I have heard that before on other new guitars -- it usually plays out as the guitar settles.

I'm wondering what 80/20 or nickel strings will do on this guitar. I'm thinking the honky overtones will go away. I'm not looking for real bass on this guitar. I'm thinking a different alloy might improve the tone.

Thoughts? What can I expect as she opens up. (She's been sleeping her whole short life.)

Reaction score
I've had mine about 18 months. Only change-put in bone bridge pins. Stuck with the 80/20s and have found this guitar has opened up and sounds great to my ears. My guitar instructor, who owns an old larrivee (which sounds amazing), has borrowed my guitar in our small group a few times and keeps commenting on the sound.

It has opened up and, without getting into the bridge pin debate, to my ears this also made a difference from the stock plastic bridge pins.

Which bone pins did you get?

Gabby84

Reaction score
I purchased mine from Custom Inlay

Bone Bridge Pins with Dot Inlays, specs:

Pin Size: Size 1T
Pin Slot: Slotted (To Size Requirement)
Pin Color: Unbleached
Dot Color: Paduak Wood
Dot Size: 3MM
SKU: VVB201-SZ-1T

When I get home, I will take an up close photo of the bridge pins.

Reaction score
I purchased mine from Custom Inlay

Bone Bridge Pins with Dot Inlays, specs:

Pin Size: Size 1T
Pin Slot: Slotted (To Size Requirement)
Pin Color: Unbleached
Dot Color: Paduak Wood
Dot Size: 3MM
SKU: VVB201-SZ-1T

When I get home, I will take an up close photo of the bridge pins.

Thanks. I just ordered the same ones!

Gabby84

Reaction score
:smile-new: cool! Guild let me know that the 1T was the correct size. two of the bridge pins were a tight fit so I contacted Guild to find out what size/type of bridge reamer (it's 3 degrees). I purchased a nice on on the cheap from Amazon: Grizzly H5808.

I did not get the chance to take a photo, last night, got home too late. Will aim to get home at a reasonable time tonight and do so!

Gabby84

Reaction score
Trying to upload from my phone. Here’s what they look like installed:
73E45E5B-66FA-483D-97E3-6D87249141C0.jpg