Buddy Guy with an Acoustic Guild. . .

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild and the Blues.jpg

Buddy Guy with Junior Wells, a ways back.

Bernie

Reaction score
Great guys play great Guilds ! :smile-new:
What's the harp's make ? Looks like a chromatic one doesn't it ? I thought Junior Wells would have played the more typical 10 holes harps more commonly used in blues and folk music...:unsure:

dougdnh

Reaction score
Buddy also actually played several Guild electrics too - Starfire & Nightbird. I actually think most acoustic bluesers prefer smaller body guitars due to their brighter sound, but I've seen all kinds of acoustics used for blues.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Definitely a Hoboken TRC, and definitely not maple, unless the side was stained. Could be either an F50R or a D55.

Right, and those are the only 2 to get railroad tracks with that headstock.
Went looking for pics to see if could be confirmed either way, possibly by date of pic, but no joy.

Bernie

Reaction score
Looks like some king of advertising, or endorsement thing ; too un-natural a way to hold a guitar otherwise, considering how they sit on the chairs...:smile-new:
Thanks Prince Of Darkness for putting some light on my ignorance...:smile-new:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That picture was used on the 1979 album "Pleading The Blues". The album was recorded at Condorcet studio, Toulouse, on October 31, 1979.

631673_300.jpg

There is another promotional photo with Junior Wells and Buddy playing a F-412 (EDIT: See Hans post below, it's not a F-412 but a JF65-12Bld) at the Chicago Blues Festival on 6/9/89:

Buddy-Guy-Junior-Wells-By-Paul-Natkin-1-768x511.jpg
Source: Alligator promotional photo – By Paul Natkin

It was used on "Alone & Acoustic":

Ralf

Last edited:

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Pleased to see that Buddy and Junior play guilds - at least some of the time.

This may need to be filed under "the obvious", but Buddy Guy's acoustic work on Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" album (Chess, 1964) is just incredible. Not sure what kid of guitar he was playing during the recording, but man.... blues perfection in my book.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Buddy Guy's acoustic work on Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" album (Chess, 1964) is just incredible. Not sure what kid of guitar he was playing during the recording, but man.... blues perfection in my book.
Here's a picture from that recording. I am sure somebody can identify the guitar. I am not an expert on acoustic archtop guitars.

yz4echz6knj11.jpg

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, not exactly! It's a similar but later model with the more 'pointed' headstock style and a truss rod installed!
Oh, indeed now that you say it that headstock shape looks different and also a truss rod seems to be visible. Those little details make the difference. I only thought after 56 they changed from dots to block inlays for the K1, so it seems to be no K1 but maybe one of the 4 number models. Some also mentioned N-1 or N-2, but the N-2 seems to have a different front of the headstock. Anyway, thanks for pointing out those details, so the guitar could be more like from 59/60 or so.
Ralf