D-25 In GC

JF-30

Reaction score
I was in GC over the long holiday in Little River, SC and there was a '74 Guild D-25. It was in what I would call the category of beater. There was a small inlay with maybe someones initials and a small symbol on the inlay, which was about 1/2" x 1/2". It didn't look like a sticker cause I tried to peal it off it was recessed into the wood. It had dings on it, but wasn't beat to hell. One of the 3 on a side all together tuner assembly (G) didn't work good. If I didn't have a guitar I consider my beater I would have jumped on it. It came with a case too if I remember correctly. It was around $700 I think and GC was offering 15% off for Presidents Day.

I also played a Gibson L-00 Studio with walnut back and sides, and one of the new G-45's with same tone wood. Good prices but walnut does not impress me as a tonewood. I owned a J-15 and loved one I tried out and then bought used one online for $300 cheaper and it was a dog and I sold it after 2 months for $50 less than I bought it for. There were electronics in stalled in both and the strap button had already been mounted on the neck (can't stand that).

Played a Taylor 300 series something or other, and at 2k they can keep it. 2k and that is the lowest series of American made guitars you make. Your outta your mind Taylor. Taylor's are nice to look at, but not my cup of tea. Played an 100 series that didn't impress me.

Didn't touch any Martin;s cause I own a D-41 and that guitar is more guitar than anything they had there.

This is why is think all guitars are used at GC no matter what they say. A family was in the acoustic room and they were not paying attention to there small maybe 3 year old. He knocked over the same guitar at least twice and the associate said "I'll just hang it up high and it will be okay".

You blow GC.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
this is why used Guild acoustics are so awesome...You get so much guitar for so little investment.

"Played a Taylor 300 series something or other, and at 2k they can keep it. 2k and that is the lowest series of American made guitars you make"...

Br1ck

Reaction score
But Taylor has the most awesome marketing department in the industry. Doesn't that count for something?

JF-30

Reaction score
But Taylor has the most awesome marketing department in the industry. Doesn't that count for something?

I guess if your into marketing. Maybe if that Guild is there next time I go back to Little River I'll make an offer and see what they say. I leave my beater, well not really a beater, just my one guitar I leave down in Little River, so I don't have to schlep a guitar there every-time I go. I have none for my house in Newport News, Va. I will take my 000-28 out of the house, but the D-41 stays here till I move down there permanently.

I just bought over the past few week the 180 gram vinyl versions of Apostrophe and Joe's Garage. Tomorrow Over-nite Sensation is arriving and next week I'm gonna get We're Only In It For The Money then every week after get one starting with Zoot, Sheik, One Size, Freak Out! and keep going till I have all the 180's. And by the way the vinyl sound absolutely amazing.

beecee

Reaction score
You were there, but the pix don't look all that bad save for the dead skin cells and sebum on the first 3 frets.

JF-30

Reaction score
Yeah its a '74 and now 45 or 46 years old depending on how late in the year it was made.

beecee

Reaction score
Is that a hog top?? I can't tell.

Wood's Holy Grail D-25

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re Holy Grail D25s (all-hog archbacks) - I personally did not experience anything
close to Holy-Sonic-Angels-Singing-Guild-Grail-ty at any point with either of mine -
it's likely that I'm just predisposed to enjoy and expect the feral clash & bang of spruce & hog 25s.
And the narrow-ish nuts on both hog 25s aren't ideal for my XL hands.

That said - one of my long-time guitar techs got so excited after playing one
of the all-hog archies - and he doesn't get very fired up about any guitars at this point -
I told him right then and there to just keep it and play it, I'd get it back
if I ever want or need it - which I won't :02.47-tranquillity:

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played an all-hog archback once and it wasn't as bright as my spruce top.

beecee

Reaction score
I was just asking as Westerlywood has been dying for one.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd like to have one of each from the early '70's, an all-hog flat back, and an all-hog arch back, to add to the one I already have, an arch back spruce top. And an all-hog arch back D-15 from the 80's.

JF-30

Reaction score
On the sticker on the inside it said D-25M, if that lets you experts know any more.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I looked yesterday and it was there, now it says out of stock. Someone bought it. I was hoping it would be there next time I went down to make an offer. Oh well. Hope it went to a good home.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
On the sticker on the inside it said D-25M, if that lets you experts know any more.
That was "officially" supposed to the designation for the archbacked spruce top with Mahogany stained top but we've seen it applied to all-hog guitars during the transition from 'hog to spruce top.
Re Holy Grail D25s (all-hog archbacks) - I personally did not experience anything
close to Holy-Sonic-Angels-Singing-Guild-Grail-ty at any point with either of mine -
It's just supposed to denote an object so rare that arduous effort is needed to find it.
All-hog archback D25's are definitely the rarest of the breed.
The connotation of having great value is a given otherwise the "Quest for the Holy Grail" would never have happened, right?
So in that sense I guess one could say if one's definition of value was hearing the angels sing then sure, that'd be your personal "Holy Grail" but it doesn't acknowledge the definitive quality of being hard to find and in fact really one of a kind.
I think WW always looked at it from the "search for the hard to find" aspect, based on his hope that an all-hog archback was going to deliver his ideal tone.

it's likely that I'm just predisposed to enjoy and expect the feral clash & bang of spruce & hog 25s.
Dang I wish I'd said that!
:glee:
That said - one of my long-time guitar techs got so excited after playing one
of the all-hog archies - and he doesn't get very fired up about any guitars at this point -
I told him right then and there to just keep it and play it, I'd get it back
if I ever want or need it - which I won't :02.47-tranquillity:
So y'ever thought about sellin' it?
Like, to Woody if your tech doesn't want to buy it?

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
As I recall, the “M” designation was also used for a period of time by Westerly to denote a maple body being stained a reddish-mahogany hue (such as on an F-40), while retaining a natural top.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the “M” designation was also used for a period of time by Westerly to denote a maple body being stained a reddish-mahogany hue (such as on an F-40), while retaining a natural top.
"Yes", its use was model specific, because it was also on D44M Maple bodies (originally had Pearwood bodies).