davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are many things I did in the 70's that I wish I remembered better today. Visiting House of Guitars is one of them.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cool! I could definitely spend some enjoyable time there!

walrus

DThomasC

Reaction score
The HOG is nuts to be sure. I grew up in and around Rochester, and live only and hour or so from there now. When I was a kid they completely ignored me. I would literally - LITERALLY - have to shout for a sales person to serve me. When I go in now someone will be shadowing me (often Bruce.) I suppose the difference is that I looked broke then and I look like I have disposable income now.

Anyway, if you're in the area you should stop in and check the place out. It is something of a museum, but it's also actually very small and cramped and all of the interesting instruments are not only out of reach but largely out of sight too, WAY up high on top of some cabinets where you can't even look at them never mind try them out. The truth is, the place is a wildly disorganized mess and always has been. (Not true; it used to be even worse.) I've heard from more than one person that has worked there that the basement is stacked floor to ceiling with dusty guitar cases that haven't been opened in decades. The really interesting treasures are probably down there, but we'll need to wait for Bruce and Armand to pass away (or go to prison) before anyone gets to go spelunking.

beecee

Reaction score
That is where I bought my Madeira. Armand himself picked it off the wall for me. Gave me the rundown on the brand.

I was there a few weeks ago.

It's a combo of Cooperstown and McSorely's Ale House....pure history.

Great site for a LMG

Coop47

Reaction score
The HOG is nuts to be sure. I grew up in and around Rochester, and live only and hour or so from there now. When I was a kid they completely ignored me. I would literally - LITERALLY - have to shout for a sales person to serve me. When I go in now someone will be shadowing me (often Bruce.) I suppose the difference is that I looked broke then and I look like I have disposable income now.

Anyway, if you're in the area you should stop in and check the place out. It is something of a museum, but it's also actually very small and cramped and all of the interesting instruments are not only out of reach but largely out of sight too, WAY up high on top of some cabinets where you can't even look at them never mind try them out. The truth is, the place is a wildly disorganized mess and always has been. (Not true; it used to be even worse.) I've heard from more than one person that has worked there that the basement is stacked floor to ceiling with dusty guitar cases that haven't been opened in decades. The really interesting treasures are probably down there, but we'll need to wait for Bruce and Armand to pass away (or go to prison) before anyone gets to go spelunking.

I was there a couple years ago and that's pretty consistent with my experience. Fun visit, but couldn't find anything I was interested in buying.

Grassdog

Reaction score
As someone who works in risk management, I can only imagine the challenge of underwriting an insurance policy for the contents of that place. Not to mention it looks like a fire hazard being as disorganized as it is. I wonder if it's up to code and if so how it passed.

Nevertheless a really interesting place and thanks for sharing Tom.