And finally a review!

https://www.gad.net/Blog/2020/02/25/guild-s300a-d-review/

Guild-S300AD-Burst-TTopFull.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just read the review, great work as ever GAD. I don't play
electric these days but reading and listening to a review as enjoyable and thorough
as this makes me wish I did!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The cap'n and I used to call them Taco Bell guitars, because of the shape. I have always wanted one. :)

matsickma

Reaction score
Great job GAD. I to have a fondness for this guitar model and have had a S300D and four blond S300AD's. Have a pair of blonds now, one is an early 80's topless (no pickguard). Would like another 'hog S300 HB1 or D.
I also like the S250/S275 models but perfer seperate Vol/Tone . Three knobs doesn't work for me!
M

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Informative and entertaining, as usual! Thanks!

That is a really cool model. I wish I could have bonded with the S-60 you sold me...

walrus

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
As always, great job on the review, GAD! Contrary to the opinions of many, I love the original shape of this guitar. There's really no other like it. I think the Hoyer looks more like a B.S. Rich Mockingbird.

Your sunburst model reminds me so much of the guitar of my youth, which I've talked about on the forum before -- my Ibanez ST200. There are so many similarities, ash body, maple neck, open uncovered humbuckers. Instead of the phase switch, this had crazy, hot active electronics that could push thick Santana-like sustain forever. Still on the hunt for my original as well!

IbanezST200c.jpg

I'm rooting for you to score that Lucite version and even more, your blond childhood guitar.

ruedi

Reaction score
Guild Total
This is a nice piece of guitar for sure. Thanks for the review! Very interesting and entertaing at the same time. You are a good writer and have a lot to say in substance, a very much appreciated combination.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for your fun review. I’m so-so on the looks, but I’ll bet if I played one, I’d quickly see the beauty.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD

Are you sure the tunig machines in S300AD in you review are Gotoh? - they look exactly same as the golden ones in my F50R - and I always thought they are Schaller.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD

Are you sure the tunig machines in S300AD in you review are Gotoh? - they look exactly same as the golden ones in my F50R - and I always thought they are Schaller.

They are Schaller M-6 tuners, but I remember correcting GAD in one of his earlier reviews when it was the other way around. Some people have a hard time seeing the difference.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Wulfthar

Reaction score
Guild Total
I definitely lust for a sunburst 300AD but it appears tehy are quite rare...BTW new member in town, where should introduce myself?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I definitely lust for a sunburst 300AD but it appears tehy are quite rare...BTW new member in town, where should introduce myself?
Welcome aboard Wulthar!
We're not real sticklers for convention and a lot of guys just introduce themselves in the forum that corresponds to their interest.
Sounds like you're into solidbodies, or an S300AD at least, so this this thread right here might be as good a place as any.
If you actually already have any Guilds, we love to see pics and that'd be a good excuse to start an introduction thread.
:friendly_wink:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Great review as always. I've also found that a narrower nut width is more comfortable when the neck has decent depth. A couple of the '70s SGs I bought 3–4 years ago, 1 9/16" nut widths, have stuck around because of this.

-Dave-

Wulfthar

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard Wulthar!
We're not real sticklers for convention and a lot of guys just introduce themselves in the forum that corresponds to their interest.
Sounds like you're into solidbodies, or an S300AD at least, so this this thread right here might be as good a place as any.
If you actually already have any Guilds, we love to see pics and that'd be a good excuse to start an introduction thread.
:friendly_wink:

Not to hijack the thread, but so far I owned only acoustic Guilds, and quite a few : a D25, two old Tacoma mini jumbo, and a JF30-12.

At the moment I still own the latter, however this week I just pulled the trigger on my first electric, a B stock new Thunderbird, and I am eager to receive it.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is time to post photos of our S-300ADs?

I traveled just across the NJ/NY State Line to buy mine. (Pre-eBay!) It was residing in an old chicken coop and was in pretty rough shape! Since I had driven that far I threw out a low-ball offer and he accepted!

It cleaned up pretty well!

S-300AD.jpg

And since GAD mentioned the B-300 Series Basses, I have these:

B-300s.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Wulfthar, welcome to LTG!! If I was doing an introduction I'd say Miscellaneous is a good category. The other one I might suggest is LTGers Only. The difference is miscellaneous goes out to everyone who stops by to read on the forum. LTGers Only is only for members who have joined and are registered. Probably a better bet for introductions on there. Who you are, where you are, Guilds you have or lust for, and any other information you think people need to know. It's a nice way to get to know new members. So hopefully that helps you. I'll wait to hear more about you and your guitars!! :encouragement: