Guild brand strings

ONTariO

Reaction score
Hello,

a few years ago ~2015/16 I remember looking at the specs of various guitars on the Guild website. I always remember they used D’Addario strings and was surprised when there was a sudden shift to Guild branded strings. This seems to have changed back to D’Addario. Can anyone confirm that Guild used their own strings for a period, and provide any information on these strings if at all possible?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Guild branded strings could well have just been D'Addario (or some other big-name) strings in a Guild package.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

actually, that website does not sell strings
the link goes to a guitar page

- - - Updated - - -

The Guild branded strings could well have just been D'Addario (or some other big-name) strings in a Guild package.

we have proven this to be true.

if you want to try out Guild brand acoustic guitar strings, buy a set of D'Addario EJ16s or EJ17s, depending on your gauge affinity.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
actually, that website does not sell strings
the link goes to a guitar page

Not for me. I get

gui3500450.jpg

and a Buy button that goes to InstrumentPro dot com

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not for me. I get

gui3500450.jpg

and a Buy button that goes to InstrumentPro dot com

but when you click the Buy button, it brings you to homepage of http://www.instrumentpro.com/.
apparently, they have no such strings in stock...they do not come up in a search either on this site.

if someone has better luck or a better URL, let me know, I want to buy a set :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a dozen sets thrown in when I bought my Tacoma built F 50R new back in 2008. Man, that's been 12 years already. It's one of only a few guitars I've ever bought new.

I like the strings. They are just fine for me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello,

a few years ago ~2015/16 I remember looking at the specs of various guitars on the Guild website. I always remember they used D’Addario strings and was surprised when there was a sudden shift to Guild branded strings. This seems to have changed back to D’Addario. Can anyone confirm that Guild used their own strings for a period, and provide any information on these strings if at all possible?
Guild never made ("used") their own strings.
For the period you're asking about, and in fact for most of Guild's history the Guild branded acoustic strings were D'Addario's.
Putting 'em in Guild brand packaging was just part of re-building the brand image in New Hartford.
See post #1 here:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?175701-NAMM-2013-New-series-of-Guild-strings/page2
The relationship goes back to the early '60's at least when D'Addario predecessor Darco was a supplier to Guild.
Guild was even the first maker to ship guitars with D'A's PB formula as standard, in '74.
Guild's L350= D'Addario EJ-16 but you need to sub in an .025 "G" single to match the "original" L350 set exactly.
We have seen reports that DR was a supplier for a while, which has credibility since Mark Dronge was the son of Guild's founder Al Dronge as well as the founder of DR strings, but this would have been in the '80's in any case .
Fender switched off to a Fender-owned supplier sometime around '02-04.***
The "Fender-owned" L350 sets had an .024 "G" and weren't as good as the D'Addarios in some folks' opinions (mine included).
In fact they never did update the gauge specs in their spec sheets for the guitars even through the Tacoma spec sheets, "L350" is always shown with an .025 "G".
*** Edit: Note I now see evidence of the change occurring as early as '99, as seen on pg 31 of the Winter '99 Guild Gallery:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Guild-1999-Winter-Gallery.pdf
Guild-1999-Winter-Gallery-Pg30_1600.jpeg

Note the verbiage stating "Guild string manufacturing facility", which I'm certain is marketing-speak for the fact that Fender moved production to the Fender owned facility previously mentioned.
We saw another round of closeouts on the "Fender" sets coincidental with the close of Tacoma about '08, then no Guild brand strings until they were "revived" in New Hartford.
if someone has better luck or a better URL, let me know, I want to buy a set :)
For nostalgia's sake, I trust?
I'd be surprised if there were any left out there, they were already being used as "teasers" (traffic to a site stimulators) just like you're seeing now, back in '13.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a dozen sets thrown in when I bought my Tacoma built F 50R new back in 2008. Man, that's been 12 years already. It's one of only a few guitars I've ever bought new.

I like the strings. They are just fine for me.

very cool Richard!

- - - Updated - - -

For nostalgia's sake, I trust?
I'd be surprised if there were any left out there, they were already being used as teasers just like you're seeing now, back in '13.

yeah, that is it Al. But I know if i really want a set of Guild strings, well, i have them now on the Br, EJ16s. :) well, minus the .25...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have repaired my 2013 post with the missing pictures.
Ralf

Bravo Bravo Bravo!
Well DONE!!!
:smile:
Oh yes one other note re the colored ball-ends you mention there for "Fender" strings: I only ever recall seeing the colored ball-ends on D'A labeled sets, in my memory the Guild branded strings were always the same plain brass ends.
I still have a late Westerly vintage set of L350's at home (saved for "case candy" with my D25), will try to remember to check 'em out to confirm tonight.