New for 2012: Guild introduces new ARCOS series Acoustics

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just noticed this announcement!
http://www.guildguitars.com/index.php/m ... er_010512/

Guild announces the debut of the all-new Arcos series. The new Arcos models feature Guild’s signature arched-back body design, delivering enhanced volume, projection and excellent structural stability. ... Guild Arcos Series guitars are available through authorized Guild dealers with manufacturer’s suggested retail prices ranging from $759.99 to $999.99.

1) The AD-3 dreadnought:

3830080821_frt_wlg_001.png

• Solid Sitka spruce top
• Arched laminated mahogany back, laminated mahogany sides
• Slim-profile mahogany neck
• Bolt-on neck construction
• Bone nut and saddle
• Koa rosette
Crafted in Ensenada, Mexico

2) The AD-3CE:

3830106821_frt_wlg_001.png

• Solid Sitka spruce top
• Bone nut and saddle
• Koa rosette
• Fishman® electronics with built-in tuner

3) The AO-3CE performance-driven orchestra-style model:

3830306821_frt_wlg_001.png

• Solid Sitka spruce top
• Bone nut and saddle
• Koa rosette
• Fishman® electronics with built-in tuner

Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone know what "ARCOS" means? Is this a re-introduction of an earlier line? What are the salient features of the ARCOS series that (if anything) differentiates it from others.

I think Bing said these are made in Mexico, right? Does that imply that ARCOS replaces the DV-4/DV-6 models that have been coming out of Mexico since 2008?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay so.... I looked on the Guild site and read everything. Where are these made? Not the USA, with a price like that!! So where do these come from..... anyone?

Personally, this is a bit scary to me.... just something to add more confusion to the already muddied waters...... :roll:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All 3 are "Crafted in Ensenada, Mexico".
They were even listed by shops in Germany and UK already today, so the Guild/Fender sales reps in Europe are fast to introduce them..
Ralf

kyguild

Reaction score
Just noticed in the description that these new guitars have a bolt-on neck design....anybody have any details on what this design is like? Wonder if it is a variation of the Contemporary Series bolt on neck, or something different / new?

ky

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
kyguild said:
Just noticed in the description that these new guitars have a bolt-on neck design....anybody have any details on what this design is like? Wonder if it is a variation of the Contemporary Series bolt on neck, or something different / new?

ky

I was thinking the same thing. Now that Guild has the official patent on the neck block system, you'd think that would be what they'd use. But then it wouldn't be the first time that Guild threw us a curve, either.

Bing k

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Does anyone know what "ARCOS" means? Is this a re-introduction of an earlier line? What are the salient features of the ARCOS series that (if anything) differentiates it from others.

I think Bing said these are made in Mexico, right? Does that imply that ARCOS replaces the DV-4/DV-6 models that have been coming out of Mexico since 2008?

Neither the Arcos or the DVs are on any price sheets we've received. So I can't answer your question without a call inside.

poser

Reaction score
Interesting, these are new arch-backed dreads that are being priced in the neighborhood that the old d-25's are selling on eBay. Who was it who said that the old Guilds are the biggest competition for the new ones?

Bing k

Reaction score
poser said:
Interesting, these are new arch-backed dreads that are being priced in the neighborhood that the old d-25's are selling on eBay. Who was it who said that the old Guilds are the biggest competition for the new ones?

I posted something similar somewhere this morning, but I doubt it originated with me.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
poser said:

I've said it many times although I doubt that it originated with me. I will say, however, that when I say it, I really mean that the competition for the new, Made in New Hartford Guilds are the vintage made in the USA Guilds. I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of folks who say "Made in USA or I won't play".

Mad Rose

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Does anyone know what "ARCOS" means?

Arcos Definition: Spanish - habitational name from any of several places called Arcos or Los Arcos, with reference to their arches or arcades.

Los Arcos in Cabo: :D
losarcos.jpg

cadtools

Reaction score
Hopefully these will be good enough for the Guild name, and make some people good guitars for their budget points. Too bad they are not made in USA, but at least they are from North America.

Maybe the Ensenada plant workers can and will become craftsmen that have pride in their work; I may be dreaming, as modern corporate production is more focused on number of acceptable units produced per unit time, but as these workers are humans making musical instruments, I would assume some pride in accomplishment as a part of their personalities.

Offshore manufacturing (and lately design) is to be expected from larger corporations, as that is what the major business consultants (Bain, Andreseen, Accenture, ..) who essentially drive corporate philosophy have been pushing for the last 15 years or so; however, I feel the pendulum swinging back to North America, and hopefully back to USA, as the long term economic effect of offshoring becomes evident. Well, at least the pendulum appears to have swung as far offshore as it is going to...

It is interesting to watch FMIC play a shell game with the Guild brand. Should a made in Corona be called a Fender? A made in Tacoma a Tacoma? A NH production be called an Ovation? Am I making sacrilegious statements?? The philosophy that "Guild" meant a craftsmens' guild, starting with and expanding upon ex-Epiphone craftsmen, maybe makes the brand more a philosophy instead of a specific geographic plant (Manhattan/Hoboken/Rhode Island/etc..). Or, it should mean the same group of craftsmen and their apprentices? Maybe this needs its own thread..

scott