Unusual Nashville Custom Shop Guild (?)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure if this was a special order for somebody, I had never seen such Guild model with such f-holes.
Also can't remember that we discussed it here.
Maybe it was a one off.
The picture is from Frank Ford (Gryphon), when he visited the Nashville Custom Shop in 2001:

guildnash35.jpg

Ralf

guildman63

Reaction score
I am not quite so repulsed, and I actually kind of like it. The harp does look too small for the body, however. I bet it sounds sweet! If anyone knows its whereabouts and cost, if for sale, I would be interested in hearing.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm okay with the look of what we see. Odd duck for a Guild, though.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I've been trying to think of something clever to say about those soundholes, but all I can think of is "unattractive".

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As Guild fans we see the same thing over and OVER and THAT guitar is unique and therefore, fun and attractive. Love the distinct sound holes..... flamey!! I can see that it appears a bit "unbalanced" by usual standards but.... obviously those have been suspended. I like it.....

Any more info on this thing?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any more info on this thing?
Tom: I was wondering if one of us had seen that picture before and if it was discussed here at LTG already.

Now I think I found the headstock belonging to that guitar! Even more unusual !!!
Look how the "G" was done, as a cutout and the lower part as a kind of teardrop!

And look at the fret markers, abalone (I think) dots in the middle! Not to talk about the TRC.

Who ordered such a custom (and most probably one off) guitar from Guild?

guildnash36.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ralf,

Boy, I wonder if Hans has seen this one. If he hasn't, perhaps Frank Ford knows more about it? Bob Benedetto would too, no doubt.

Funny... I was just telling a new member a couple of days ago that you can't stump this crowd... Guess I was wrong. :) Yeah, I don't recall seeing anything like this one before. Unique F-holes, headstock, fret markers.... Wow. Truly a custom.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was thinking that the cutout in the headstock had a little Carlo Greco influence, but I totally agree with you that this likely came from Bob Benedetto's hands.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ralf,

Boy, I wonder if Hans has seen this one. If he hasn't, perhaps Frank Ford knows more about it? Bob Benedetto would too, no doubt.

Funny... I was just telling a new member a couple of days ago that you can't stump this crowd... Guess I was wrong.

Hello folks,

It's not a Guild guitar even though it was built in the Guild Custom Shop in Nashville. It was one of the private projects of Evan Ellis, one of the builders who were making the Benedetto guitars. I don't think that Bob Benedetto would take credit for it!

I have a photo somewhere in my files showing Evan Ellis holding the superstructure after finishing. I will post the photo if I can find it.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mbuc

Reaction score
Strangest looking Guild ever. Or not a Guild? What makes a guitar a Guild guitar if not the name on the headstock and the place where it was built? Private project or not, if Guild doesn't acknowledge this freak as one of its own, they shouldn't have allowed Evan Ellis to put the name on the headstock. I like those freak projects, brings some diversification to the daily routine.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Slightly off subject, but I can't believe how much Hans knows about Guilds! Is he a cyborg?