COOL 1969 F-30 Alert!

6L6

Reaction score
I was seeing my buddies today at REAL GUITARS/Gary Brawer Stringed Instrument Repair in San Francisco when I spied this beautiful '69 F-30 hanging on the rack:

IMG_2618_zpsdb76b6eb.jpg

IMG_2619_zpsb084c457.jpg

I played it for a half hour or so and it was absolutely delightful. The saddle height is a little on the low side, but who cares? It sounded great and played effortlessly!

Price is $1599.00, but Real Guitars will listen to other offers.

If you're looking for a really clean one that plays/sounds great, look no further.

FWIW, I have no connection to Real Guitars or this guitar. Just passing on the info with the hope that someone in the LTG Forum will grab it!

Bill

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
I don't think it's a 12 string guitar. Too many tuners. Looks like some bizarre variation on a mandolin. It'd be interesting to see what it actually is.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
What's that 12-string on the hanger in the back??

That's at least 16 strings, it's something in the latin American family...Bandurria from Peru/Bolivia, Bandola from Columbia, Bandolin from Ecuador...there's a bunch of related instruments with varying courses of strings/tunings...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, there is also a red 12 string Gibson ES-335 hanging on the left of that 16 string South American one!

@Jane: That's really a difficult riddle about the small one. I don't think the little one is a Bandurria or Bandola, as they usually both have different bodies. It could be indeed a Bandolin, but they also have different body shapes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6LRN_4g80
It's either a 15 strings or 16 strings instrument with the very small guitar shaped body shape of a Charango. I have been to South American a couple of times but have never seen such a small shaped 15 or 16 string one. It seems to have 16 tuners.

I have seen 14 string instruments:

charango+player+in+mountains.jpg

Bruno from Chile might have an idea !

Ralf

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's the true market value of a '69 F-30 like this?
The 2012 Guide gives a range of $1800-2100 for one in excellent condition. True street value for this guitar in its current condition may vary.

6L6

Reaction score
"The 2012 Guide gives a range of $1800-2100 for one in excellent condition..."

Well, this one is certainly in "Excellent" condition so I guess the asking price of $1599 is a pretty good deal.

Bill

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
(...) I don't think the little one is a Bandurria or Bandola, as they usually both have different bodies. It could be indeed a Bandolin, but they also have different body shapes.

It's either a 15 strings or 16 strings instrument with the very small guitar shaped body shape of a Charango. I have been to South American a couple of times but have never seen such a small shaped 15 or 16 string one. It seems to have 16 tuners.

Bruno from Chile might have an idea !
The first time I saw this pic, I thought it was a Charango and a ES-335 12er. Nonetheless, when I was going to press the submit button, I realized something was different: that Charango had more tuners... Something new for me too. I'd never seen one of those. A Bandurria or a Bandolín (thanks for that link, Ralf!), could have been an option, but as Ralf said, the body shape was not the same.

From what I've found, that instrument could be a Peruvian Charango (used in Arequipa's region): 15 strings, in triplets, tuned to DGBEB. Eight and seven tuners per side, respectively. See here for a few pics.

fredarredondo.jpg

And some sounds:

All the best,
B.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From what I've found, that instrument could be a Peruvian Charango (used in Arequipa's region): 15 strings, in triplets, tuned to DGBEB. Eight and seven tuners per side, respectively. See here for a few pics.
Bruno: I knew you would find out :) Yes, I agree, that seems to be it. I have been to Arequipa at Christmas 2009, but never saw such a instrument. I own a normal 10 string Charango which I bought in La Paz/Bolivia, but didn't know there were 15 string versions. One difference I see is that a Bolivian Charango usually has a round back (shaped like the originally used Armadillo bodies). I also found the same Armadillio body style in Ecuador. But that instrument in question has a flat back as it looks. Now thanks to the link you provided I learned that the Charangos in Peru seem to have a flat back. I never noticed that before. Thanks for the education Bruno! I love those South American instruments!
Ralf

Last edited:

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. Pay my son's college tuition or buy an F-30............ Dang!!!!! I HATE when that happens...........

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Bruno: I knew you would find out :) Yes, I agree, that seems to be it. I have been to Arequipa at Christmas 2009, but never saw such a instrument. I own a normal 10 string Charango which I bought in La Paz/Bolivia, but didn't know there were 15 string versions. One difference I see is that a Bolivian Charango usually has a round back (shaped like the originally used Armadillo bodies). I also found the same Armadillio body style in Ecuador. But that instrument in question has a flat back as it looks. Now thanks to the link you provided I learned that the Charangos in Peru seem to have a flat back. I never noticed that before. Thanks for the education Bruno! I love those South American instruments!
Ralf
Ralf,

You're welcome, my friend. Glad to have helped. :biggrin:

For me, this design was unknown, too. None the less, it's one variation of the regular Charango, that you can find around Cuzco and Arequipa. You can find the traditional body in Perú too, as in the north of Chile and Argentina.

BTW, I didn't realize that the link I posted in my previous reply didn't link to the photos I wanted to share. For those who want to see them click, on the left upper corner, where it says: "Galería de Fotos". Then you'll find "Primera Galería" & "Segunda Galería". Press the last one and you'll see a few more pics.

All the best,
B.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@Bruno: By the way, here are some pictures of my little special carved Charango:
It was made by Luthier Yuri Alvarez Orosco in El Alto/La Paz. The Charango is called "The Inka King". Why, you can see in the last 2 pictures.
(To the right is my Concert size 50th State commemorative Kanile'a Ukulele. It was designed in celebration of Hawaii's 50th anniversary of Statehood.)

itglEkVFaQvue.jpg

Yuri Alvarez Orosco carves the body and neck from a single piece of naranjillo wood.
The top is spruce. Bridge and fretboard are jacaranda. Saddle and nut are bone.

foto_3.jpg

isLdofWPsorSg.jpg

ibwaDX3hnSRWXf.jpg

And this video shows the Music Store in La Paz and his owner, where I bought it from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWcEZ1_uqD4

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, that is stunning...
Actually it was Bruno who found that picture, yes, a very relaxing picture indeed!
I never tried Elijah Craig before, those Kentucky Burbons are not sold in Europe (or at least not widely) I think.
Ralf

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
@Bruno: By the way, here are some pictures of my little special carved Charango:
It was made by Luthier Yuri Alvarez Orosco in El Alto/La Paz. The Charango is called "The Inka King". Why, you can see in the last 2 pictures.
(To the right is my Concert size 50th State commemorative Kanile'a Ukulele. It was designed in celebration of Hawaii's 50th anniversary of Statehood.)

(...)

And this video shows the Music Store in La Paz and his owner, where I bought it from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWcEZ1_uqD4

Ralf
Ralf,

Wow: that's a gorgeous Charango and Uke (Were you in Hawaii in 2011?), too! Seems like you have a great instruments collection, uhm?

I spent a nice time looking at the work of Mr. Alvarez: he has a great website and does a great job continuing the legacy of his father. His skills are awesome. I think I went to the store in that video, in 2011. Is it located around Sagarnaga street? Though those streets are in the commercial or touristy part of the city, which can be good or not so good, the craftsmanship diversity is huge. I love Bolivia.

Well and as we love pics, here is one:

DSCF1039.jpg

A few more here.

Thanks for the pics and links, Ralf! :biggrin-new:

A hug & All the best,
B.

Last edited: