Guild ... Mandolin?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They made a prototype made in Westerly... there's a pic in Hans' book. Never marketed, but there are a "few" (one? two?) out there.

Also, I believe there were "Madeira" mandolins imported by Guild.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's the pix of one I let get away!

Mando-1.jpg

Mando-3.jpg

Mando-2.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All the available Guild strings can be seen at the webpage: http://www.guildguitars.com/accessories/strings/

Dave already mentioned Hans book, and Hans wrote before: "...a few prototypes were built and there's a picture of one of those in The Guild Guitar Book on page 166."

As Dave also mentioned, Guild marketed several Mandolins under the Madeira name, the M-5 Teardrop, M-10 Double Cutaway, M-300, M-800,...

madeira-mando2.jpg

As examples that's a M-10:

2469927042_4845c3ddfd.jpg

And a M-300:

-33533206095320290.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

GalenB

Reaction score
Were they any good? Solid wood? The Madeira....

Update: Interesting....I jumped over onto a mando website and did some checking. Seems maybe the Madeira and the Aria mandos of the same era appear the same...might have been produced in the same factory.

I love the pic of the Guild headstock. You'd have to be 40 rows back to not know what brand that is.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Were they any good? Solid wood? The Madeira...
I think the Madeira mandos used solid wood for the top but laminated wood for back and sides (would have been too expensive using solid carved wood there). See also below Aria spec.

Seems maybe the Madeira and the Aria mandos of the same era appear the same...might have been produced in the same factory.
Yes, "same same but different" as the Asians say...
In that case just different headstock shape (but same inlay!) and different name on the mandos but same Japanese origin as it looks.

Nagoya, Aria, Madeira (by Guild):

iBAwTNPGlWJFP.JPG

Ralf

Last edited: