F-47R or F-30R

MGap

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Newby to your forum here and just wanted to get a little information if I could.

First let me tell you where I am coming from. I have been a Martin and Taylor enthusiast for a few years now, but always wanted to dive into the Guild acoustic world. I am leaning towards a rosewood/sitka guitar. What differences are there between a F-30R and a F-47R as far as tone, fit, price, ornamentation? I am looking for a solid tone that rosewood/sitka offers. Not looking for anything custom shop, or rare species type of rosewood, although I do like adirondack and englemann. Sitka will do just fine.

By the way this looks like a great place.

Mike

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome! Assuming that you're talking about relatively recent production, the F30R would be from the standard series – little ornamentation, satin finished neck. Also, a 1 3/4" nut width. The F47R is from the traditional series; it has gloss-finished, bound neck and more ornamentation. I have the F47R; it offers more bass response than the F30R. Both are really nice.

Geo

Reaction score
My F30R is a diamond. One of my all time favorites. I'd love to have a F47R also.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

George

MGap

Reaction score
Thanks jeffcoop, I am guessing that the F-47R has the 1-11/16" neck on it. I am more accustom to the 1-3/4" nut size, but I have had Martins with that size as well and did not have a problem.

Other than the satin neck is there much of a difference in finish and fit between the F-47R and the F-30R?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have the F47R - a made in New Hartford one. Fantastic guitar, I still feel like I'm not enough guitar player for it every time I have it in my hands.

It's not sitka though, it's adirondack.

One thing about it - don't be be tricked into thinking it's a small guitar. The silhouette would have you believe it's kind of mid-sized, but it's pretty big. Even though the body shape is quite different, it's not really smaller than a dread, I think there's probably about as much air in that body.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG. This IS a great place....no other quite like it.

Sounds like a delightful dilemma, if you ask me. Bottom line: it's your decision in the end, so go with the one that speaks to you and feels so good when you hold it that you don't want to put it down.
:laughing:

Joe

MGap

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I hope you will understand my ignorance here because I am going to show my hand and just ask you. Are both the F-30R and F-47R American made? I don't want you to think I am anti - overseas but I like to buy American guitars made by American hands. The fine folks on the east coast are fine craftspeople(I can't believe i just said crafts people)and have heard nothing but good things about their production quality.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played an F30 but I don't know if it was an R version while looking for my Guild and found the one I played at GC a little lacking in the low end. The F47R had that. Just a bit more body size to give that some rumble. I played an F47M and it wasn't as impressive either. So... I got the F47R. I think it's a good all round guitar. Nice even tone across the strings and ,especially in a drop D tuning, really has some nice bass.

mjudd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I hope you will understand my ignorance here because I am going to show my hand and just ask you. Are both the F-30R and F-47R American made? I don't want you to think I am anti - overseas but I like to buy American guitars made by American hands. The fine folks on the east coast are fine craftspeople(I can't believe i just said crafts people)and have heard nothing but good things about their production quality.

I wouldn't blame you if you were "anti-overseas." The quality of an American build guitar is far superior to most imports. (There are, I'm sure, exceptions.)

First off, yes, the F-30r and the F-47r are both American made. Both (through the end of this month, I assume) are made in the New Hartford, CT facility.

If you go to the Guild website, and click on "Guitars," you'll see the various series of guitars come up. Everything listed under the "GAD" series of guitars is built in China. Most of these have a "1" in front of the number. So, a Guild GAD F130 is the same body size and shape and same bracing as a Guild F-30, but it is built in China. Comparing the two, you'll notice some differences; the most obvious in the finish.

On the Guild website, I believe everything listed under the "Arcos Series" of guitars is made in Mexico. These will all start with a letter 'A' prefix. So, a AF-50E is an F50e, but made in Mexico. An AF-412E is a F-412E, but made in Mexico. I don't know that I've ever played an Arcos series Guild; but, again, I'm sure there is a difference in sound and quality if you compare them side-by-side.

Similarly, under Electrics, everything listed under the "Newark St. Collection" is foreign made (I think all made in China.)

Everything else, as far as I know, is made here in the U.S., and all made (as far as I know) in the New Hartford plant (again, until the end of this month, give or take a few days/weeks.)

guildman63

Reaction score
Good summary by mjudd, except that the electric Newark Street collection is made in Korea. Since you are looking for an acoustic guitar that probably doesn't matter to you. If your search ends in the purchase of an American made Guild you will be very happy.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a general rule the 2 digit models are usa made. The 12 strings being the exception. So any D or G or F model with two numbers is US made,
Ex: D55 or F47.....

MGap

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for all the great information, it is helping me a lot. I have been on the Guild web site looking for dimension and have not seen any thing. I am interested in the length, width(lower bout)and depth of the body, and the neck shape Does anybody know where on the web site that information is?

fretless

Reaction score
you can find some pretty good info at westerlyguild.com click on the model, then click on spec sheet. and if you really want some great info and pictures, order the Guild Book by Hand Moust. it's a must have for a Guilder

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For further clarification, Hans Moust's book is the BIBLE around here.... and everywhere else, when it comes to Guilds. However, it is only through 1977. Vol. II may be along one day, but for now it cuts off at 1977. You may want information beyond that year.

Also, when you're on the Guild Guitars website and you click on the model you want, a short ways down there are TABS. Overview, Images, Specs, and Other Models. When you click on "Specs" you'll get the details and measurements of the specific guitar for which you're looking. I can't imagine you'd need more information than that.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When you click on "Specs" you'll get the details and measurements of the specific guitar for which you're looking. I can't imagine you'd need more information than that.
Tom: Not all have that info on the Guild webpage. For the F-47R you will find all of that, but not for the Orpheum for instance.
Ralf

MGap

Reaction score
The Guild Book is a great idea. Thanks. I will order it.

MGap

Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
When you click on "Specs" you'll get the details and measurements of the specific guitar for which you're looking. I can't imagine you'd need more information than that.
Tom: Not all have that info on the Guild webpage. For the F-47R you will find all of that, but not for the Orpheum for instance.
Ralf

I have not been able to fine spec's on the Orchestra body, it does not seem to be on the web site. Anybody know the depth and lower bout in inches?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf
But he wasn't talking about the Orpheum at all. He was talking about the F47R and the F30R, BOTH of which have the "Specs" tab which will give him the information he wants..... OKAY?? :saturn:

Last edited:

MGap

Reaction score
But he wasn't talking about the Orpheum at all. He was talking about the F47R and the F30R, BOTH of which have the "Specs" tab which will give him the information he wants..... OKAY?? :saturn:

Went to the Guild web site and they don not have dimensions for the Orchestra bodies. I checked them all out and unless I missed it on all of the spec sheets for all of the Orchestras there are not there.