Do chambered guitar bodies "open up"?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am getting dizzy reading blogs and articles on-line about chambered guitars (i.e. Guild Bluesbird), and how it affects tone, etc., etc. Clearly it is an opinion that varies from person to person.

I am pleasantly surprised with how my '98 Bluesbird sounds unplugged - not as loud as hollow bodies or semi-hollow bodies I have owned, but much more clarity than a solid body, or at least the ones I've played.

We have discussed whether acoustic guitars "open up" on this forum before - FWIW, my opinion is absolutely, based on the 30 years I've owned my D64.

So here's the question, just for fun - do chambered guitar bodies "open up" and sound even better over time?

walrus

drc

Reaction score
They might, but what changes that means to the amplified sound? I don't think it does much.

FYI - THATS JUST MY OPINION, AND ITS BASED ON NOTHING BUT WHAT I THINK!

sorry had to get that out there before all the tone snobs bash me! ha-ha

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This whole thread will be opinions, including mine! I had not really thought of amplification, but I agree if it does "open up" it would not be enough to impact the amplified sound. I was only thinking of unplugged when I posted, but your point is interesting.

Even unplugged I wonder if the potential "opening up" would have a noticeable impact...

walrus

JHJ

Reaction score
From my comparatively limited experience, I would have to say yes. My AP Aristocrat vs. my 57, the 57 sounds beautiful both plugged up as well as unplugged. The AP, being a brand new guitar, does not have the same capability. Having said that, the late 90's BluesBird P90 I own seems to posses this very same quality, that is to say, sounding terrific unplugged. The entire guitar resonates when played unplugged, as I can feel it in both hands. It is not subtle, but quite noticeable. Plug it in and get those P90's cranking and I have a hard time putting it down.

As to your new acquisition, I know exactly what you mean. Having owned that guitar myself for about a year, I have also wondered why it sounded so good, unplugged.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was younger and thought I Knew Everything I never could figure out why people thought the wood in a solid body electric effected the amplified tone. But other people seemed to believe so defying all of my logic. When I learned that wood density and weight did effect sustain in a measurable way I decide maybe there were things I could learn after all. So my question would be how is the chamber created? If you start with a single solid piece of wood, gouge out a chamber and slap a top or bottom over it I am hard pressed to understand what could open up, besides the top starting to lift. But if you are building in a fashion similar to an acoustic where the top and sides are separate pieces of wood and the chambers are created by solid slabs or something else inside then it could open up. But we already know what I don't know so...

guildman63

Reaction score
Open up? You mean like "Hi, I'm a bluesbird, and I'm chambered. It really feels good to not be carrying around so much weight, but then the other solid guitars make fun of me and say I can't sustain my notes as long as they can, and it really hurts my feelings. I just tell them to go f___ themselves, and ask if they are happy knowing that they are ruining backs and shoulders". Is that what you call opening up? :laughing:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From my comparatively limited experience, I would have to say yes. My AP Aristocrat vs. my 57, the 57 sounds beautiful both plugged up as well as unplugged.
I would have to disagree, or at least question your example. The Aristocrat is a hollowbody with a relatively thin top. The chambered BB still has quite a bit of wood underneath the bonnet (which is why it weighs almost twice as much.) Different critters; hollowbody vs. chambered.
That being said, the BB may mature as the wood ages, possibly increasing some resonance with a lower moisture content, but I don't think it would "open up" in the way that an acoustic, or even a hollowbody (an hollowbody for those who stick to the official guide to the Queen's English) does.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chris, I agree it would not open up like an acoustic or a hollowbody, or even a semi-hollow. You make a good point about the wood aging. The problem is, as the wood is aging, so am I, so if it ever "opens" more than it is now, I hope I'm around to notice the difference!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chris, I agree it would not open up like an acoustic or a hollowbody, or even a semi-hollow. You make a good point about the wood aging. The problem is, as the wood is aging, so am I, so if it ever "opens" more than it is now, I hope I'm around to notice the difference!

At frst I was having hard time accepting that the body would open up, being such a dense solid piece of wood.
Even as it aged and dried I just couldn't see how it could gain any discernible resonance (at least, un-amplified), it's just too massive.
Then the discussion made me realize that top's still thin enough to gain resonance from the aging/drying process, and since there's chambers underneath the top, it can resonate freely in those areas.
So I'd say "Sure, it can open up, but all the gains are in the top"
(Just to put another vote in that basket)
:wink:

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Chris,

Regarding the Queens English, I was taught as a "yout" in Catholic school that "an" precedes words beginning with a vowel sound, and "a" precedes words beginning in a consonant, or vowels if phonetically sounding like a consonant as in uniform (yew-ni-form). Did my Catholic school education not conform to the proper standards of grammar according to the Queen? But I veer wildly. :witless:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, maybe I was following the Python's English; "He was an halibut!"

:triumphant:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did my Catholic school education not conform to the proper standards of grammar according to the Queen?
IF you attended a Catholic school here in the US, let us devoutly hope not, as the Catholics would doubtless be cleaving to the preferences of the Pope, whereas everybody knows that England's monarch, as head of the Anglican Church, was always on the verge of excommunication, but worse, we colonials inhabit a nation founded by outright protestant heretics.
:biggrin-new:
The real reason though, is that the English have this weird Cockney silent "H" thing goin' on.
Just like you in your yout'.
:laughing:

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If it's got those big hollow chambers like from KOMA's x-ray photo it should definitely have a level of acoustic resonance that a regular solid body doesn't have, even from brand new. As to the wood and all the finish layers drying over time I think if it's a 1998 it should sound pretty good right now! I would bet over time it may open a bit. Nice flame on that one!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It DOES sound good unplugged now!

walrus

Yeah I bet it does. Just to be clear I meant plugged in when I said "acoustic resonance" and everything else. When u play a chord it has that deep thick tone with a semi hollow/semi solid acoustic quality resonance. Both amplified and unplugged I would imagine. Yours has those big chambers and no f holes, probably has that "pop" to it. It is that chambered/hollow resonance.

JHJ

Reaction score
If it's got those big hollow chambers like from KOMA's x-ray photo it should definitely have a level of acoustic resonance that a regular solid body doesn't have, even from brand new. As to the wood and all the finish layers drying over time I think if it's a 1998 it should sound pretty good right now! I would bet over time it may open a bit. Nice flame on that one!

The BB P90 I was refering to, IS the very guitar that was xrayed. Chris, I offered the hollow body comparison to illustrate that a 60 year old version of the same design does indeed open up. But the BB P90 sounds great unplugged as well. For some reason. Likely the chambering, as illustrated in the xray.

Last edited:

Jorj

Reaction score
Open up? You mean like "Hi, I'm a bluesbird, and I'm chambered. It really feels good to not be carrying around so much weight, but then the other solid guitars make fun of me and say I can't sustain my notes as long as they can, and it really hurts my feelings. I just tell them to go f___ themselves, and ask if they are happy knowing that they are ruining backs and shoulders". Is that what you call opening up? :laughing:

Nearly pissed myself laughing...not cool dude...not cool.

guildman63

Reaction score
:topsy_turvy:

I had a Corona BB until 2 years ago when I gave it to my nephew after he graduated from college and had no job. I thought that guitar had plenty of sustain, and I miss it every day! But right or wrong there are many who feel that solid guitars sustain better. I think it is not so simple, and will probably own another BB one day as it is one of the best guitars for rock and blues that I have ever played. And they can be had for peanuts, which is even better!