Finally Home F612 NGD!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As some of you know around 3 months ago I got the chance of a lifetime to purchase a 1971 F612. After the month long wait to get her into the shop for repairs and the 2 month wait for her to actually have the work done she is officially home. I figured she needed a proper NGD!

The history of this F612 is definitely colorful. From what the previous owner has told me as well as some of the evidence in the original case such as hang tags and Paperwork, It's Original Owner was Jonathan Edwards who had the 1971 Hit Song "Sunshine". The previous owner contacted Edwards and He did verify that this was his guitar. He also verified that it was ordered from Guild on the advice of John Denver at the same time that John Denver placed an order for 2 of his. Edwards did not want to sign anything officially for the guitar due to legality issues. Whether it is true or not makes no difference to me as it is an Amazing Instrument.

Somewhere between 1971 and 1980 this old girl had a rough life. There were several repairs that were performed in 1980 including a Neck Reset, Small piece of spruce spliced into the top under the bridge, and a few crack repairs. All of the work is documented on the inside of the top and is signed and dated by the Luthier that performed those repairs.

When it arrived it was in rough shape. On top of the original repairs which needed attention she took a nasty deflection hit during shipping to the top. Not only did it knock a brace loose but it also separated the top along the binding from the lower treble side bout upwards about 12 inches. Thank god it was on the seam edge and did not crack the wood. There was also an issue of the fret board starting to come loose from the neck by the first 2 frets not to mention that the finish looked like it had been in a fight with a Scotch Brite pad and lost.

My Luthier and myself discussed a plan of attack on this guitar and both agreed to keep it as original as possible. We put together a plan to fix everything that needed it and Buff leave the original finish on the guitar. This would allow it to retain it's Originality and MOJO while turning it into an Amazing player. Somewhere down the line someone installed a compensated bone saddle that works great. All of the repairs were performed wonderfully and you would never know there was a seam separation on the lower bout. She buffed up well and still retains some finish checking which only adds to the character she already has. The action is perfect as well as intonation and there is at least 1/4" of saddle for future adjustments.

As far as the tone is concerned, the best way to describe it is like listening to 2 F512's in Stereo. The lows are the deepest and clearest I have ever heard on a 12 string and the balance across the board is AMAZING! I would also liken it to sounding like a Grand Piano in a large Hall. When strummed it truly sounds like a symphony of instruments playing together. It sounds like 10,000 angels all trying to get out if the sound hole at the same time. The response while finger picking and flat picking is wonderful as well. I had always heard that the F612 was the pinnacle of 12 string sound and I could only imagine how wonderful they were. After playing this one it has wonderfully surpassed any expectations I previously had of how great they actually were.

I tried to get a soundclip this morning for everyone but my shoulder is not cooperating at this time. I will try to have one up in a week as well as clips of some of my other recent Acquisitions. Until then Pictures will have to do to hold everyone over. I am so glad that she is finally home!

Here is the Sound clip I promised everyone. If you hear some zinging in the strings it's not the guitar it is my arm being swollen. Just some strumming with some single note flat picking at the end. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/txbumper57/1971-guild-f-612

Here ya go!!

VMnr5e.jpg
VTtfYz.jpg
hU36Gr.jpg
iqk0pN.jpg
NKaMIW.jpg
LNYxcR.jpg
wUsYlA.jpg
996A3A.jpg

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Beautiful, Bumper!

Geez, that thing is (as Donald would say...) HUUUUUGGGGGEEEE!

How hard is it to reach to the cowboy chords on that extra-long scale length?

Neal

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Excuse me I need a moment alone ..... Ok I feel better now . Now , How dare you , hw dare you sir post this heavenly instrument with out audio ! lmao Wow that's nice the headstock is cool ! Love it . How much I want to buy it ... No I can't buy but I want to I want to have it ...... Hmmm maybe I forgot you might have posted audio before ?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love the trim around the headstock.
What makes it better than an F512? Is the bracing different?
Is it Brazilian b/s?
Congrats, it is nice to see what the King of all 12 strings looks like.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Neal, The cowboy chords aren't hard to get to, It really plays very nice and easy. The only chords you might feel a stretch on are F barred and B barred. Other than that it really feels like a 25.5 as opposed to a 26.25.

RayK, Wipe yourself off and pull it together Man! As soon as it is physically possible I will get a sound clip up. Give me a break, I'm working with a busted wing here.:angel:

Wood, The F612 is 18" at the lower bout and 5" deep with a scale of 26.25" The F512 is 17" wide at the lower bout and around 4" deep with a 25.6" scale length. As far as Brazilian I believe that this 1971 model has Brazilian sides and an East Indian Rosewood back. The F612 has a deeper Fuller sound to it than the F512 which I didn't think was possible as I love my F512. I think it has more to do with the extra size than The type of rosewood on this one. Plus the 43 year difference in age might have something to do with it as well. I think the F612 is well played in. Here is a photo of the size difference in the F512 and F612. The F612 is on the right and the F512 on the left.

Jey0R0.jpg

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
She is absolutely beautiful! Looking forward to when you are comfortably able to make a sound clip. Congratulations on a phenomenal acquisition, and thank you for sharing her story and photos.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dear Ray: He said his shoulder was bothering him and he'd get some audio when he could. So would you HUSH UP!! Jeeze....

Tx, that's a 12-string to end all 12-strings!! Mostly I like the balance you struck between being totally refinished and keeping as much original as possible. It looks like a 44 year old guitar that's been used, but well-cared for! I love that!! Congrats on getting it home and THANKS for restoring this amazing piece of Guild history for us to look at and drool over!! :encouragement::encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Neal, The cowboy chords aren't hard to get to, It really plays very nice and easy. The only chords you might feel a stretch on are F barred and B barred. Other than that it really feels like a 25.5 as opposed to a 26.25.

RayK, Wipe yourself off and pull it together Man! As soon as it is physically possible I will get a sound clip up. Give me a break, I'm working with a busted wing here.:angel:

Wood, The F612 is 18" at the lower bout and 5" deep with a scale of 26.25" The F512 is 17" wide at the lower bout and around 4" deep with a 25.6" scale length. As far as Brazilian I believe that this 1971 model has Brazilian sides and an East Indian Rosewood back. The F612 has a deeper Fuller sound to it than the F512 which I didn't think was possible as I love my F512. I think it has more to do with the extra size than The type of rosewood on this one. Plus the 43 year difference in age might have something to do with it as well. I think the F612 is well played in. Here is a photo of the size difference in the F512 and F612. The F612 is on the right and the F512 on the left.

Jey0R0.jpg

Much Larger lower bout. Totally get it.

Neal

Reaction score
I am also willing to bet that the added 3/4 inch of scale length puts the strings at higher tension when tuned to concert pitch, resulting in additional volume, sustain, chime.

Neal

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
OMG, tx. Congrats!!!

A couple of things:

1. It would've been a sin to refinish this guitar based on what I see. You made the right decision 100%!

2. Please be careful with tuning this to pitch. I know there's some debate about it, but my recommendation is down-tune it a step and use a capo. Concert pitch on a 26.5" scale 12-string guitar is, well, a lot of tension. Besides, the growl you'll get down a step... I can only imagine.

Welcome to a very small club of F-612 owners. That is a real bucket-list guitar for most of us. Congrats and great work with your luthier.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am also willing to bet that the added 3/4 inch of scale length puts the strings at higher tension when tuned to concert pitch, resulting in additional volume, sustain, chime.

And Rayk's unrelenting pursuit of sound clips is unduobtedly putting Bump at higher tension, resulting in greater picking force and heightened attack transients.
Jonathan Edwards' old axe, eh?
John Denver's would leave me indifferent (Sorry, JD fans) but I could almost be envious of J Edwards' axe.
Almost.
Just don't tell me it's actually the guitar on Sunshine, or I will gnaw my arm off.
Just don't tell me, ok?
I really mean it.
Bump?
You're not saying anything....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Neal

To be honest Neal, They almost feel like they have less tension on them then they do on my F512. I am using Daddario EXP38's on Both 12's which are the Coated PB 10-47 set. It's something that I noticed on my G41 with the longer 26.25 scale as well. The strings feel lighter than they do on the 25.5" scale, At least to me they do. Now as far as chime is concerned I think the F612 could rival any Bell in any Chapel. The sound that comes out of it is Enormous! I have Vaulted ceilings in the living room and it makes the Guitar almost sound like it is going to feedback on itself Acoustically with all of the sound waves bouncing around! I would love to hear it in an Auditorium/Theater Setting.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And Rayk's unrelenting pursuit of sound clips is unduobtedly putting Bump at higher tension, resulting in greater picking force and heightened attack transients.
Jonathan Edwards' old axe, eh?
John Denver's would leave me indifferent (Sorry, JD fans) but I could almost be envious of J Edwards' axe.
Almost.
Just don't tell me it's actually the guitar on Sunshine, or I will gnaw my arm off.
Just don't tell me, ok?
I really mean it.
Bump?
You're not saying anything....

Ray's not bothering me, If I was looking at Guilds and trying to get all the info I could I would want soundclips of everything as well. I promise you it sounds amazing enough that it WILL be on several recordings I am planning on doing as the arm allows.

As far as being the Guitar that was used on Sunshine Al, I think I would have to hear that from Jonathan Edwards himself. I may try to contact him in the future just to find out all the specifics. The original case has period correct stickers for different record companies and Radio stations from up North and Atlantic Records Canada Division. I'm a skeptic when someone says this guitar was so and so's but between the amount of work it had to have done early in it's life and the way J. Edwards beats on his 12 strings when he plays, LOL, and some of the old papers in the case I feel comfortable saying it was his. That is kind of strange though considering "Sunshine" came out in 1971 and this is a 1971 model? If I find out that it is Al I promise I won't tell you, I might tell Neal and then he could tell you! LOL. Thanks to everyone for all the responses. This is a great community that I am proud to be a part of!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My old 512 sounds beautiful...this sounds like you've got a real sound treasure there.....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OMG, tx. Congrats!!!

A couple of things:

1. It would've been a sin to refinish this guitar based on what I see. You made the right decision 100%!

2. Please be careful with tuning this to pitch. I know there's some debate about it, but my recommendation is down-tune it a step and use a capo. Concert pitch on a 26.5" scale 12-string guitar is, well, a lot of tension. Besides, the growl you'll get down a step... I can only imagine.

Welcome to a very small club of F-612 owners. That is a real bucket-list guitar for most of us. Congrats and great work with your luthier.

Thanks Chazmo! I know Standard tuning is SCARY for some folks with a 12 string but I have been reassured it can take it. Everything is so stable and Sturdy that I left it at concert pitch overnight just to see if there was any "Creep" in any of the joints and the next morning she was right on the money and hasn't changed since Tuesday. I'm not worried about it with the light string set on it. I let my Guitars breathe out on a stand so I can grab and play em whenever I want. I will tune it down a half a step or so if I have to store it for an extended period. Trust me when I say that the first sign of any issues she is going right in the shop to get fixed or tweeked or whatever she needs. My Luthier is 5 minutes away and I trust him Explicitly. Plus he is kinda partial to it as well, Said it was the coolest 12 string he ever had the pleasure of working on. I fully expect him to check in on it every couple of weeks to make sure everything is good!