Summer NAMM 2016: New Oxnard built D-40 and M-40 models!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Surprise, Surprise! It's not the D-55 that comes from Oxnard after the D-20 and the M-20!
No, the Oxnard factory shows the prototypes of the new D-40 and a new M-40 model!!!

The first sunburst dreadnought visible right of the neon Guild sign is the new D-40 (see the TRC)! Satin top, back and sides... Followed by two D-20 and the two Jumbo Juniors (see how small they are!).

They are experimenting with brown stained mahogany or a more red stained mahogany currently, both versions in prototype stage are shown. Also shown in natural and sunburst.
IMG_2363-1030x1030.jpg

Click on this link (can't embed the picture here) to see from left to right:

M-40 Nat, D-40 Nat, D-40 ATB.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClpeidaVEAAZbtk.jpg:large

There are three videos posted by Guild today from Summer NAMM which also quickly shows the new models (wait a few seconds after cklicking, the videos should start after a few seconds).
They guy talking is Ryan Cooper, West Coast Regional Sales Manager for Guild.

https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/videos/10153522523396105/

https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/videos/10153522964056105/

https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/videos/10153523341426105/

Now why is the M-40 with a Spruce top not called F-40 or something? M was always "All mahogany" in Guild history...A spruce top guitar doesn't fit in the M-xx naming convention. Well, however they also have the Westerly Collection M-240 whch is hog and spruce...

The guitar on the right without the pickguard is the M-40 Nat:
The D-55 left of it still seems to be an old NH made one as it has the gloss finish. But Oxnard had announced to have thie D-55 on the future list as well, so it makes sense to show one.

13524353_10153525046126105_4376463282939043500_n.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, I love my old beater, Westerly D 40 but I sure may be tempted to try this Oxnard edition. It surely looks sweet!!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is going to be a version of the D40 Standard as there are no tortoise bindings or Chesterfield Head stock logo. Granted it is in the "Prototype" stages but I sure hope they at least do a Head stock Face plate that has more than what is on the D20. I guess we will see.

TX

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I hear ya TX, and I'm a big lover of bling but I gotta say, that simplistic D 20 headstock has really grown on me. Maybe it should stay on their lower end models like the D 20 but to me it looks clean and pretty classy. We'll see I guess.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hear ya TX, and I'm a big lover of bling but I gotta say, that simplistic D 20 headstock has really grown on me. Maybe it should stay on their lower end models like the D 20 but to me it looks clean and pretty classy. We'll see I guess.

I'm not worried about Bling Richard, I'm just hoping they put something on the headstock besides the plain Guild Rooftop logo carved into posterboard.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Bling Richard, I'm just hoping they put something on the headstock besides the plain Guild Rooftop logo carved into posterboard.
The chesterfield came and went on D40's but they never never never had anything but a gloss finish.
GRrrrrrrrr......
Maybe I should be happy my Richie now has an actual "vintage" build detail.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, what are they using the M- designation for now? I'd thought it was for the hog F styles, but the one identified as the M-40 in the above pic has a spruce top. Why not just F-40?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The chesterfield came and went on D40's but they never never never had anything but a gloss finish.
GRrrrrrrrr......
Maybe I should be happy my Richie now has an actual "vintage" build detail.

I'll say this much, I am Extremely pleased that I found and purchased the D55-RS built in New Hartford when I did. I'm not all that excited about what options or trim will be standard on the New Ones. The D40 Standard series in New Hartford did have satin finishes towards the end but they were Satin Nitro, Not the satin Oxnard is using. Makes you wonder. Hey AL, At Least the Pick Guards are Gloss! LOL

TX

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't know guys, and I'm not just saying this to try and justify my purchase of my new D 20, but the finish on this guitar feels exceptional to me. Not saying I'm right, because typically I am not, but I can say I really do like it. I realize the D 20 is a base level guitar vs. a D 55 for example. But I think Ren Ferguson's track record is pretty good, wherever he's been so I kinda trust that whatever they'll be doing there won't disappoint us.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know guys, and I'm not just saying this to try and justify my purchase of my new D 20, but the finish on this guitar feels exceptional to me. Not saying I'm right, because typically I am not, but I can say I really do like it. I realize the D 20 is a base level guitar vs. a D 55 for example. But I think Ren Ferguson's track record is pretty good, wherever he's been so I kinda trust that whatever they'll be doing there won't disappoint us.

I am optimistic that Guild will do some Good things in Oxnard but there were plenty of Subpar Years of Gibson Acoustics under Ren's Watch as well Richard. Things can go either way and from life experience tend to do so quite often. I am glad you are liking your D20, I may have a chance to play one in the next week.

TX

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'll say this much, I am Extremely pleased that I found and purchased the D55-RS built in New Hartford when I did. I'm not all that excited about what options or trim will be standard on the New Ones. The D40 Standard series in New Hartford did have satin finishes towards the end but they were Satin Nitro, Not the satin Oxnard is using. Makes you wonder. Hey AL, At Least the Pick Guards are Gloss! LOL

TX

I believe the Standard Series switched to satin-finished backs and sides in 2013, to go with he satin-finished news that the Standard Series had from the start (I remember playing an F30RCE with satin back and sides at LMG IV). But I'm pretty sure they always had gloss tops through the end of production in New Hartford. A full satin finish on a D20 doesn't bother me--it's just Guild's equivalent of Martin's D15. But on the D40, it just rubs me the wrong way (as it were).

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awwww, look at the little Junior Jumbos!! I already ordered a mahogany one. Can't wait for it to get here. Tiny little things, huh? :encouragement:

Thanks, Ralf!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awwww, look at the little Junior Jumbos!! I already ordered a mahogany one. Can't wait for it to get here. Tiny little things, huh? :encouragement:

Thanks, Ralf!!

It does look awfully cute next to it's big brothers and sisters. I am excited to try one of these for sure! Can't wait to hear what you think when yours arrives Tom!

TX

bobouz

Reaction score
there were plenty of Subpar Years of Gibson Acoustics under Ren's Watch
Not so much, imho. In 1999, the model line up was revamped with a strong eye towards replicating iconic Gibson models. From that point until Ren left Gibson, build quality was quite consistent, and conventional wisdom is that these instruments can often rival the best acoustic Gibsons ever produced in any given model line (jumbo, round-shoulder dread, LG style, etc).

My guess is that what we will see from Oxnard in the initial phases will be squarely focused on successfully penetrating the market. Ren certainly knows how to build a spot on replica of any Guild from any era, but I think he & Cordoba are going to have their hands full trying to figure out the best way to become as desired by the public as Martin, Taylor, and yes, Gibson.

That has been Job-1 for a long time. After multiple Fender failures, let's hope they can finally get it done!

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not so much, imho. In 1999, the model line up was revamped with a strong eye towards replicating iconic Gibson models. From that point until Ren left Gibson, build quality was quite consistent, and conventional wisdom is that these instruments can often rival the best acoustic Gibsons ever produced in any given model line (jumbo, round-shoulder dread, LG style, etc).

I'm not trying to knock Gibson by any means bobouz, But "Conventional Wisdom" must have been playing different guitars than myself and others I know. I have Always loved Gibson Acoustics but in the early 2000's you had to play 5-10 Gibson Acoustics at your local Guitar Center to find one good one. I know there were some Good ones in there, But you had to go through quite a few of the others to find them.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Give 'em a chance, Tx. :)

Guild has had a long history of folks making great guitars who hail from other disciplines. Oxnard mirrors other great shops of the past (hello... Westerly??) where folks learned their guitar-building skills OTJ and hopefully took a lot of pride in that.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Give 'em a chance, Tx. :)

Guild has had a long history of folks making great guitars who hail from other disciplines. Oxnard mirrors other great shops of the past (hello... Westerly??) where folks learned their guitar-building skills OTJ and hopefully took a lot of pride in that.

I understand that Chazmo. The point I was making was that Just because Ren is involved doesn't mean everything is going to be Sunshine and Sparkles. My apologies to anyone offended by my opinion. I'll leave it at that.

TX

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I really like the look of that D-40 sunburst. And, yes, it is a carbon copy of the New Hartford Standard Series, in terms of trim. If Guild can recreate the magic in the Standard Series (my F-50 Standard is, dollar for dollar, the best sounding Guild I own), these guitars will sell.

In the modern world of guitar-building, there is a cost-benefit to application of gloss finish. Prettier? Probably. Better sounding than satin? Doubtful.

And if the builder can shave time from the finishing process, they can keep the cost of the instrument down and compete on tone and playability in the marketplace.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
not a fan of the finish at all.
and the dude needs to stop talking into the phone and just show the guitar.