Not so fast...we have a problem with my M-20...unbelievable!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I'll update the thread on Friday. I don't think that he has any doubts that I fully intend to pursue this case with him. I do now have proof that he broke and concealed the break ....that he admitted it to me in a phone conversation....and I can exhibit this proof in court or publicly should I be forced to do so. I haven't disclosed his name/business yet...to this thread or to anyone other than a few close friends (and my wife who is darn tired of hearing about this guitar). I fully intend to simply 'move on' if he carries through with his end of the bargain. I'd far prefer to have the guitar as it had been prior to repairs or in a pipe dream as it currently is sans broken/repaired neck heel. It is what it is....and a refund of the repair costs...albeit imperfect...I've deemed to be a minimally satisfactory conclusion to a bad situation. If he is yanking my chain and I don't hear from him on Friday...the paperwork is ready to file...and I wouldn't hesitate to show and prove his malfeasance to those whom he would least like to know. I hope that we can just end this....because I don't like being an a-hole...and I'm going to be a big and public a-hole if he doesn't handle this as he has stated that he would.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I thought about that too, Ray. Was he tapping with a mallet or hammer to get a stubborn joint to separate? Pulling a little too hard or just banged/dropped the neck?

Yeah thing is I don’t see any surface damage besides the crack . I have a bad problem of asking questions way to many lol folks get mad because they feel the answer was given but I ask another question of the same thing maybe worded differently but the reason is I’m not getting the definitive yes or no or dead on answer so it’s like the door is still open or maybe closing and not staying latched lol . It’s sickness I live with haha 😆

So how did it break again ?

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You cannot get blood from a stone. . Proverb meaning: You cannot get help from an uncharitable person or money from someone who has none. I doubt he did this deliberately. He probably is sorry. And he knows he handled it poorly. Everyone is in agreement on that. You can RUIN him and try to destroy his business and ruin his reputation and if that makes you happy...... then go ahead. His grand kids won't get gifts and hopefully he can pay his rent. It's a bad situation, and that's not going to change. Good luck on Friday. Compromise is never easy, especially when you've done nothing wrong. Sometimes $hit happens in life. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You cannot get blood from a stone. . Proverb meaning: You cannot get help from an uncharitable person or money from someone who has none. I doubt he did this deliberately. He probably is sorry. And he knows he handled it poorly. Everyone is in agreement on that. You can RUIN him and try to destroy his business and ruin his reputation and if that makes you happy...... then go ahead. His grand kids won't get gifts and hopefully he can pay his rent. It's a bad situation, and that's not going to change. Good luck on Friday. Compromise is never easy, especially when you've done nothing wrong. Sometimes $hit happens in life. I'm sorry.

Ahhh faith in our fellow man and kindness of heart
Warms me heart :) bravo 👏

jedzep

Reaction score
Yeah thing is I don’t see any surface damage besides the crack . I have a bad problem of asking questions way to many lol folks get mad because they feel the answer was given but I ask another question of the same thing maybe worded differently but the reason is I’m not getting the definitive yes or no or dead on answer so it’s like the door is still open or maybe closing and staying latched lol . It’s sickness I live with haha ��

So how did it break again ?
Ha! There's no such thing as too many questions. If you've been around a 4 yr old you'd know.

That's no longer a crack. It's now a seam.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ha! There's no such thing as too many questions. If you've been around a 4 yr old you'd know.

That's no longer a crack. It's now a seam.
Ha 4 yr old over and done with he’s now 11 not sure which is worse ? Lol

Reaction score
Yeah thing is I don’t see any surface damage besides the crack . I have a bad problem of asking questions way to many lol folks get mad because they feel the answer was given but I ask another question of the same thing maybe worded differently but the reason is I’m not getting the definitive yes or no or dead on answer so it’s like the door is still open or maybe closing and staying latched lol . It’s sickness I live with haha ��

Just a guess, but I'm thinking you work in IT.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I'm thinking you work in IT.

If I did I’d more guilds ! Lol wonder if it’s to late at 56 for a career change ? lol

Actually Im your worst nightmare , I’m a DOT road maintenance worker , ya know the fat guy showing his plumbers _ _ _ _ _ next to the orange barrels not doing anything but causing major road issues along with occasional fractures in time resulting in some really ugly stuff but it gets sorted out , eventually.. I wonder why I work there I’m certainly not appreciated for my intelligence and I can honestly say that my IQ has been dropping steadily since my start date . If it wasn’t for the constant pressure of bills I’d never know I need a raise something DOT bottom feeders don’t get . Tada!

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Here's a veer. I mean a wide one.
Hey bobouz, ever think of selling your ES-125?
Jedzep - Not currently looking to sell anything unless something comes along that I absolutely can't live without. I'm at my limit (wife & space restrictions), so from now on it's the one-in & one-out rule. If you'd like to PM me your email, I can give you detailed info & pics in case the day does come, and I could also then easily contact you in the future.

jcwu

Reaction score
Kit, if I were in your shoes, I'd be pissed. So pissed that this issue would almost completely consume me. It would be the only thing I can think about. After a good night's sleep, I'd wake up and it would be the first thing I think about, my blood would come to a boil, and the rest of the day would be sh*t.

And that's why, as a bystander, I'd like to say, find a way to move on if you can. Caveat: that's advice I'd spit right back if it were given to me, if I were in your shoes. But I'm not, so hopefully I can say I'm seeing a little more clearly. There will hopefully come a day when you can look back at this and say, "Eh, some dude busted a guitar I had, it sucked, but life goes on, you know?"

Even if he really wasn't in a difficult financial situation, what with presents for grandkids and all that, even if he is just yanking your chain - I hope I don't get crucified for saying this, but in the long run, it's just a guitar.

And remember, I'm saying all this as someone who'd be raving raging mad if this happened to me.

I hope things work out for you, in that you can find joy in playing your M20 again, without this cloud hanging over you.

bobouz

Reaction score
Actually Im your worst nightmare , I’m a DOT road maintenance worker , ya know the fat guy showing his plumbers _ _ _ _ _ next to the orange barrels not doing anything....

What I find so interesting is that it's frequently no less than four guys standing next to the orange barrels!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What I find so interesting is that it's frequently no less than four guys standing next to the orange barrels!

Lol actually I’m off hiding somewhere staying out of sight guess I still have some smarts left . I know it stinks and I can explain why that is but needs to be in another thread .😁

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do now have proof that he broke and concealed the break ....that he admitted it to me in a phone conversation....and I can exhibit this proof in court or publicly should I be forced to do so.

Minor nit. If you recorded a phone conversation and did not inform the other party during the recorded part of the conversation, then depending on the state, your evidence might not only be not admissible but would expose you to criminal charges.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Actually Im your worst nightmare , I’m a DOT road maintenance worker , ya know the fat guy showing his plumbers _ _ _ _ _ next to the orange barrels not doing anything but causing major road issues along with an occasional fractures in time resulting in some really ugly stuff but it gets sorted out , eventually.. I wonder why I work there I’m certainly not appreciated for my intelligence and I can honestly say that my IQ has been dropping steadily since my start date . If it wasn’t for the constant pressure of bills I’d never know I need a raise something DOT bottom feeders don’t get . Tada!

Ray, this had me LMAO! :glee:

walrus

PittPastor

Reaction score
Years ago, I was a subcontractor to a group who were putting together a studio at Disney World (long story). Contractor and I ended up having some issues, and I went over their head to Disney and asked them to intervene. The VP of Disney Parks himself stepped in. After doing some investigation on his own, he called me and said: "OK, I need you to come by my office at 4pm. I've already talked with ______. They'll be here as well. The three of us will sit down and come to an agreement." I thanked him and told him I'd be there.

"Mark," he said as I was about to hang up. "You know what an agreement is don't you? It's something that both parties agree to and neither one is happy with. See you at four."

We met, and -- as predicted -- we reached an agreement.

I hope you guys can reach an agreement to settle this.

jedzep

Reaction score
A lesson in compromise, Pitt. The agreement is already in play. Kit just needs the other guy to keep up his end and hand over the cash.

Antney

Reaction score
Kit is you don't out him you're just enabling his lousy business practices. No doubt you're not the first this has happened to, and you won't be the last. Somebody probably looked the other way when it happened to them, and along came Kit...

Kitarkus

Reaction score
RESOLUTION.

I met the Luthier today and he handed over a full refund for all of the repair costs that I had paid him for the M-20...$600. I am certain that both of us would have preferred that this entire repair and transaction had worked out differently...or that it had never taken place at all. Mostly I am grateful to have an acceptable resolution so that I can get this entire experience off my mind...move on...and enjoy the guitar. I am tired of being angry/upset...mostly I think about his lack of disclosing the break to me...and I am grateful that I do not have to pursue this further and through more costly and public means....which would prolong my anger and resentment.

I have no plans to disparage this person publicly and I intend to consider the matter dropped. I've had extremely mixed emotions about the entire ordeal. I understand that some here did not share my opinion as to how this matter should be handled. At times I questioned my own handling of this debacle. In the end I think a fair compromise was reached and I'm pleased to put an end to this chapter.

In case you were wondering....I love the M-20. It is fabulous. I love the neck, size, short scale, tone, and responsiveness. It is an absolute joy to play. It is extremely comfortable. The set-up is marvelous (which makes me feel guilty). Perhaps an unexpected benefit to this ordeal will be a lack of inclination to sell or trade this guitar as us 'guitar geeks' so often do but regret later. It is inarguable that a neck break/repair adversely impacts the value of the guitar. As I stand today, I would not be willing to sell the guitar at any sane price.

I appreciate the support received here throughout this ordeal.... including hearing points of view that did not mesh with my own.... thank you.

Kit

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
I wanted to ask earlier, but then, knew you were in the process. Good, solid working through of a bad situation. I know that pressure of suppressing the build-up. The fact that it's set up nicely is another slap to the conscience.

What a ride! So glad you love playing it.

Rampix

Reaction score
Kit, I've been following this since you started the thread. I'm very happy you were able to satisfactorily end this ordeal.

I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of what sounds like a very nice guitar. I think your idea of just keeping it long term makes the most sense. Resale value is only relevant if you sell it.

Have a great, low stress weekend full of music!