NAMM 2014: Newark St. Collection - 2014 additions to the line!

matsickma

Reaction score
For what its worth I really like the sound of the NS S100 with the mini humbuckers. I may be sacrilege but I like it more than my S100 Deluxe with HB1's.

I have been playing it thru a Bogner Alchemist head with open back 2-12 cab and it sounds great. I noticed the body of the NS S100 has less edges beveled than the '73 S-100 but I like the striped mahogany of the NS model and the more transparent finish.

Soon I'll be converting the NS S100 into a Deluxe model by installing a Deluxe Guildsby and string tension roller that I acquired years ago.

The vintage Guild and new NS models with the mini HB's are great platforms for trying different pickup combinations. You can easily install vintage or new DeArmonds in the holes. You can also do more dramatic mods by routing them for other pups. I've installed vintage white DeArmonds in a minibucker DE400 and it is done without any mods. Actually I think a CE100D with minihb's swapped out for DeA model 200's or 2000's or a pair of Schaller DeArmond style pups would sound pretty good in a maple top CE.

My 2cents.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've installed vintage white DeArmonds in a minibucker DE400 and it is done without any mods. Actually I think a CE100D with minihb's swapped out for DeA model 200's or 2000's or a pair of Schaller DeArmond style pups would sound pretty good in a maple top CE.
Very interesting - do the DeArmond "covers" cover up the pickup surround holes of a Guild mini-humbucker? Do you have a photo?

I'd be very interested in getting a NS Capri and putting two DeArmonds on it.

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes Walter. Give me a little time and I'll send a picture of the DE400. I've also did this swap on a 1969 Bluesbird but then changed it back. I beleive one of our LTGer bought a DE400 years ago from the Ted Green collection and it had also swapped the mini HB for the white DeA 200's.

Is adding a photo onto this site similar to the old LTG site?

M

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Not sure - I think you can upload a photo straight to the forum, but I still do it "the oldfashioned way", put it on photobucket and go from there.

That's great news though - A DeArmond pickup Capri would rock, I'm sure. I have a friend in Switzerland who has a rare original early 60's CE100D with two white DeArmonds.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure - I think you can upload a photo straight to the forum.
No, not possible. Only the old fashioned way! Make sure to have in "settings" here (upper right corner) your interface set correctly.
You find that setting in Settings > My Account > General Settings > Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Another useful setting is to increase the number under "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40.

Anyway, now you should see all the symbols over your window where you write and there are symbols for pictures, videos, links and so on.

Ralf

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
a pair of Schaller DeArmond style pups.

I was just at the Schaller website and did not find these. I did see the P-90 in a humbucker frame. Will these fit in a Fender-bucker pickup surround without drilling holes?

dbirchett

Reaction score
I was just at the Schaller website and did not find these. I did see the P-90 in a humbucker frame. Will these fit in a Fender-bucker pickup surround without drilling holes?

I must be missing something here. What Schaller DeArmond style pickups are there?

Don

matsickma

Reaction score
The Schaller DeArmond style pickups I am refering to are the vintage white pickups in the style of a DeArmond except they have a white arched plastic cap and a six large pole pieces with a flat head style screw pole piece. They are shown in The Bible on the pickup page. Here is an example from ebay of the type of pickup I am refering to in the black color. I know their has been a lot of discussion of who makes this pickup. I know it is not a DeA model 210. The reason I don't think this pickup was made by Dearmond is because with the exception of the housing the construction technique and materials doesn't look like any vintage DeArmond that I examined. On the other hand it looks a lot like the vintage Schallers I've seen or held. Either way...Guild used them once in a while. The pickup is not as bright and a little more gritty and different than a P90. I installed a pair on a DeA T-400 and like the tone improvment. (Then sold the guitar, with the stock 2K pickups.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-De-...?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a38ac496f#ht_5688wt_1362

M

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
pretty sure those are DeArmond pickups, I have two white ones, and that thing on the bottom the wiring exits from is the same as on a DeArmond. I think it's the pickup you usually see in the big chrome plate for acoustic flattops, adapted to a Dynasonic type shell. Same polepieces in any case.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Schaller DeArmond style pickups I am refering to are the vintage white pickups in the style of a DeArmond except they have a white arched plastic cap and a six large pole pieces with a flat head style screw pole piece.
On page 32 in the Bible Hans doesn't mention Schaller as manufacturer. He mentions that "Guild used a lot of different pickups made by a variety of companies, like Todd Electronics from Yonkers, New York, Diamond Coils Inc. from Union City, New Jersey, and a company that was run by Aaron Newmann,..."
That's the first time I hear Schaller related to this particular pickup. (as shown on page 32 in the middle picture). But who knows...

16177515.png

Ralf

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
FWIW, Todd Electronics supplied transformers for Guild's amps. Aaron Newman designed the Thunder series of amps (and one prior to his employment) and was responsible for the mini-buckers and the Mickey Mouse as well.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any information on Diamond Coils involvement. :-(

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ralf, the pickups in your picture are different ones still. The ones Matsickma and myself were talking about mount like DeArmonds, and were also used on Premier guitars, maybe on some Levins, and they were on some late 50's and early 60's Guilds. Merle Travis' sunburst X500 had them, and the first year Starfires.

The pickups in your picture have steel poles, the DeArmonds (or Schallers, according to Matsickma...) have magnet poles.

Here's a regular DeArmond 210 :
15134187_1t5v_mz99.png

And this is the pickup we're talking about, probably a DeArmond 210's guts mounted in a model 2000 shell.
da4bd563e060de9f902896c757c4be82.jpg

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And here's Merle, with a Nudie Suit, great boots, and a great looking X500 with what looks like these same pickups. I'm pretty sure Hans has a guitar like this in natural, or at least used to have. (?)

travis.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, the pickups in your picture are different ones still.
Ah! My mistake! I looked on page 32 and what you and Mike mean is shown in the middle picture on page 31.

A lot of discussion about this pickup is here: http://www.euroguitars.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=859

I have not read through all the discussion yet but on page 1 one member there wrote:
"This pickup is called Dearmond Deluxe. It was introduced in 1958 as a kind of simplification of the Dearmond 200 Dyna-Sonic made for Gretsch. It was short lived and replaced in 1961 by the famous Dearmond model 2000. Just another and different simplification of the model 200 (a cost effective replacement actually), but this time having the looks of the former Dyna-sonics, The Deluxe was totally different looking. Perhaps Gretsch asked Rowe to make the new pickups looking like Dynas again instead of this new design.
The 2000 is commonly found on Gretsches replacing the Dyna-sonics, but also the 2000 replaced the Deluxe pickups on Guilds, Levins and Premiers that very same year 1961. AFAIK, Deluxes are only found on the Regal R270 later than in this '58-'61 period.
The 200 and the 2000 are totally different pickups apparently looking the same. The 200 has individual alnico polepiece magnets surrounded by a spring and an adjusting screw attached to it making the magnet pistons slide up and down for string output balance. The 2000 is nothing like this. It has two rectangular magnets in the base and six individual iron pole pieces (not magnets) having six adjusting screws attached to them making the polepieces to shift up and down. This makes them sound different. The deluxe is a "closer" and better simplification of the 200 IMO. The polepieces are still alnico magnets which actually slide up and down like in the Dynas, but instead of the complex system in the 200 pickup, the magnets have a kind of threaded suit wrapping them fitting inside threade channels, so they can be adjusted without the awkward Dynasonic arrangement. A clever simplification without any doubt."

Now on the other hand for instance here: http://www.musicpickups.com/All_numbered_pickups.html I read there was never such thing as a model 200...

The same source also shows a picture which he calls: "The DeArmond recessed version of the Model 210 seen here, is fitted with a brass plate that clips into each end of the pickup's frame and has six threaded holes to accommodate the theaded nylon sleeves fitted to each of the pole-pieces."
Here's this picture:
http://www.musicpickups.com/images/15611399_wu5u.png
Now they look same like the one Mike referred to: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/5/4/9/5/4/webimg/658272383_o.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Schaller DeArmond style pickups I am refering to are the vintage white pickups in the style of a DeArmond except they have a white arched plastic cap and a six large pole pieces with a flat head style screw pole piece. They are shown in The Bible on the pickup page. Here is an example from ebay of the type of pickup I am refering to in the black color. I know their has been a lot of discussion of who makes this pickup. I know it is not a DeA model 210. The reason I don't think this pickup was made by Dearmond is because with the exception of the housing the construction technique and materials doesn't look like any vintage DeArmond that I examined. On the other hand it looks a lot like the vintage Schallers I've seen or held. Either way...Guild used them once in a while.

Mike,

The pickup you are referring may look like the DeArmond one, but it's a different one altogether. I mean the black top one in the eBay auction is a DeArmond, but the ones you are referring to were used on various German-made guitars from around 1960. I believe those are a copy of the one that DeArmond filed at the U.S. patent office at the end of 1956 and for which a patent was filed on Oct. 20, 1959.
DeArmondPatent_1.jpg

The earliest Guild guitars with those pickups were 'Specials' from the late '50s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

matsickma

Reaction score
Ahhh...Thanks Hans. That makes sense to me. I had come across an article that discussed this style pickup and they mentioned DeArmond and Schaller and I was left with the understanding that Schaller was the origionator. That patent shows otherwise.
(At the moment I can't find the article. It was a good one with pictures of the PuPs.)

I have a few sets of these pups and they DID NOT have the DeArmond feature of including the "cable / ground fastener" thats shown on the above patent and is on vintage DeA 200's. Lack of that feature was why I didn't think my (and the others) were DeArmonds. I have a chrome pair and a gold pair. I remember being told the gold pair came off of a vintage Guild X model. Can't remember which one. I also have a "mini" version of the pickup which I have seen occasionally for sale. None of my pickups have any company markings.

Since the Gold pair I have were said to have come off of a Guild is it safe to say that isn't the case or did Guild use them at any time or did they strictly stay with DeArmonds?

M

Last edited: